GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Do you like these headlights?
Yes, I'd sell one of my organs on the black market for these!
86.49%
No, I'd rather drive in the dark and risk an accident.
13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 10:58 AM
ez12a
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Broncosi
On top of all of that, I believe that the LEDs we see on BMW/Lexus' are CFL where as these are pretty weak LEDs. Bottom line: these look super cheap and I wouldn't pay for them.

Just my opinion though.
Just a minor correction,

LEDs and CFL (CCFLs) are different lighting technologies.

LEDs are light emitting diodes which are small solid lights, CCFLs contain gas and are an older technology that imo isn't as reliable.

Essentially all current gen DRLs we see on Hondas, Acuras, Lexus, BMW, etc. are LED based. CCFL based DRLs are an obsolete technology (early aftermarket BMW halos were based on this). Quality and luminosity of LEDs can vary greatly, no guarantees this aftermarket headlight will have LEDs that last. But I am interested to see the low beam light output as our stock projectors aren't that great.

Last edited by ez12a; 12-19-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 08:30 PM
CarKrayz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please someone post up how they actually feel about these aftermarket headlights.
Are they built good?
How are the light output from the projectors?
How are the cut off from the projectors?
overall are you going to recommend these headlights.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-15, 08:14 AM
FSinatra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ez12a
Just a minor correction,

LEDs and CFL (CCFLs) are different lighting technologies.

LEDs are light emitting diodes which are small solid lights, CCFLs contain gas and are an older technology that imo isn't as reliable.

Essentially all current gen DRLs we see on Hondas, Acuras, Lexus, BMW, etc. are LED based. CCFL based DRLs are an obsolete technology (early aftermarket BMW halos were based on this). Quality and luminosity of LEDs can vary greatly, no guarantees this aftermarket headlight will have LEDs that last. But I am interested to see the low beam light output as our stock projectors aren't that great.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was a difference but didn't know exactly what it was and even shocked to hear that the CCFL's are outdated. I'm already saving up for a set of replacement headlights and I might just go with this aftermarket set in chrome. I might just be the guinea pig on this one. I expect to order January-February and it takes about 2-4 weeks to receive so I'll keep CL posted. I'm hoping to hear from someone that has them before I pull the trigger. The search continues.
Old 12-21-15, 05:04 PM
FSinatra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
These are very, very slick looking!

OP, if you do get them, keep in mind, that these will not be built to the same standard as OEM [in this case, it can only be better ] since all of these GS' suffer from the ****ty lens-syndrome.

But like say, spyder, or TYC, the lenses are substantially weaker than oem and they fade/yellow much quicker than OEM does.

So.... if you do opt for a pair of these, either get them clearcoated with some UV protector built into the clear, or simply clear/color vinyl them, so that any little road debris won't weaken the [weaker-than-stock] enamel in the lens.

Just an FYI...

I'm surprised [and glad] that the aftermarket world didn't really hop all over this car... there'd be a lot of this otherwise;

I hear you man. And that's exactly my main concern. We already know the OEM has the issue so there's only one way to go from here ...up ...hopefully. Between the Spyder and these, these look better built, stronger and the lens looks thicker. At least it seems that way from the pictures. These don't have AFS, but the Spyder does. I can do without the AFS. I'm just hoping that this manufacturer put more thought into the lens from what was saved on making the AFS feature work. But this is only hopeful speculation so it's definitely something to keep in mind.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Headlights-screenshot_2015-12-15-19-22-13-1.png   Aftermarket Headlights-screenshot_2015-12-17-07-47-02-1.png  
Old 12-22-15, 09:39 AM
supags
Driver

Originally Posted by FSinatra
I hear you man. And that's exactly my main concern. We already know the OEM has the issue so there's only one way to go from here ...up ...hopefully. Between the Spyder and these, these look better built, stronger and the lens looks thicker. At least it seems that way from the pictures. These don't have AFS, but the Spyder does. I can do without the AFS. I'm just hoping that this manufacturer put more thought into the lens from what was saved on making the AFS feature work. But this is only hopeful speculation so it's definitely something to keep in mind.

are these headlights the same as below?

Old 12-22-15, 09:45 AM
CarKrayz
Rookie

Still need to know how the built quality and light projection.
Old 12-22-15, 02:47 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the information on the lights. Definitely worth knowing before shelling out over $800.
Old 12-22-15, 04:48 PM
Broncosi
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CarKrayz
Please someone post up how they actually feel about these aftermarket headlights.
Are they built good?
How are the light output from the projectors?
How are the cut off from the projectors?
overall are you going to recommend these headlights.

Thanks in advance.
hahaha this wins the award for the most WTF post of the day.

Every single post in this thread is literally how people 'feel' about these headlights. The thread was asking the literal questions you just asked. The thread was started to see if anyone would recommend these headlights so the OP would buy them so no one can recommend them if they don't have them.

If you want an honest answer to all of your questions, the light output from the stock projectors is above par compared to all other projectors. The light output in these aftermarket set is going to be significantly worse. There is actually a 0% chance that the output of these aftermarket lights would be better than OEM replacements. The LEDs are going to suck and will be barely visible in the day time. I know this for a fact. If anyone is interested in how I know this, I can elaborate. These cost an average of $20 in parts to make (wholesale).

Someone asked about cutoff? It's going to be a blurred crappy yellow cutoff with a plastic shield.

Comparing these to OEM headlights that come on the Lexus on a scale of 1-10, asuming the OEM headlights are a 10, the aftermarket headlights would be a 3 in an overall category.

Will people still buy them? Yes. Will people still defend them? Yes. Will people still convince themselves that they are better than stock? Yes.

The only possible way to make these aftermarket headlights come anywhere close to quality of what you would get from the factory is to mod them like the OP said they were planning to.

This would be a COMPLETE overhaul. Open the housing, replace all the LEDs, replace the projector lens, replace the cutoff shield, space it correctly, replace the bulbs with HIDs, replace the wiring all around all the way to replacing the ballasts. That's a start to the overhaul that would be required.

I'm trying to be honest, not rude when I speak from experience with car lighting.

Anything I missed?
The following users liked this post:
User 122922 (07-21-22)
Old 01-23-16, 10:21 AM
CarKrayz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Broncosi
hahaha this wins the award for the most WTF post of the day.

Every single post in this thread is literally how people 'feel' about these headlights. The thread was asking the literal questions you just asked. The thread was started to see if anyone would recommend these headlights so the OP would buy them so no one can recommend them if they don't have them.

If you want an honest answer to all of your questions, the light output from the stock projectors is above par compared to all other projectors. The light output in these aftermarket set is going to be significantly worse. There is actually a 0% chance that the output of these aftermarket lights would be better than OEM replacements. The LEDs are going to suck and will be barely visible in the day time. I know this for a fact. If anyone is interested in how I know this, I can elaborate. These cost an average of $20 in parts to make (wholesale).

Someone asked about cutoff? It's going to be a blurred crappy yellow cutoff with a plastic shield.

Comparing these to OEM headlights that come on the Lexus on a scale of 1-10, asuming the OEM headlights are a 10, the aftermarket headlights would be a 3 in an overall category.

Will people still buy them? Yes. Will people still defend them? Yes. Will people still convince themselves that they are better than stock? Yes.

The only possible way to make these aftermarket headlights come anywhere close to quality of what you would get from the factory is to mod them like the OP said they were planning to.

This would be a COMPLETE overhaul. Open the housing, replace all the LEDs, replace the projector lens, replace the cutoff shield, space it correctly, replace the bulbs with HIDs, replace the wiring all around all the way to replacing the ballasts. That's a start to the overhaul that would be required.

I'm trying to be honest, not rude when I speak from experience with car lighting.

Anything I missed?
Love it when ppl say something rude and ends it with "im not trying to be rude".
The thread was asking about opinions, which was vague.
The questions I asked were more detailed.
By your response, you clearly do not own these headlights so all your comments are guesses.
Obviously my post was intended to ask members who actually have it and tested it.
My questions were directed to the members that have tried them out
Read my questions again and see if any of the post here actually answered them.
Thank you.
Old 02-11-16, 04:48 AM
Huberrrt
Driver School Candidate

Any updates? I'm really interested in these as well as a replacement to factory.
Old 04-07-16, 10:20 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I actually just saw these on a white 3GS in person when I was visiting my girlfriend down in the 7th layer of hell (Houston), and they actually look really nice in person. I'm usually completely against aftermarket headlights, but these definitely aren't bad at all.
Old 04-07-16, 03:38 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

There are a lot more pictures on the 78works Instagram and Facebook page, included a new LED tailights. Still no beam pattern. I'm very tempted to get a set. The OEM has the worst output I've seen, even after adjustment and a bulb change.

*Update* Their official website has been updated.
Chrome http://78-works.jp/shopdetail/000000...X/page2/order/
Black http://78-works.jp/shopdetail/000000...X/page2/order/

■ Japan optical axis specification of peace of mind

■ genuine HID unit portable model

■ genuine leveling motor portable model

■ Mounting the coupler on
■ New left and right 1 set

■ 78WORKS original manual included

■ High brightness LED adoption (L line position)

■ US side marker lights model
It is also possible to turn off your choice ※

■ low beam: D4S (use the genuine HID)
 High beam: H1
※ halogen bulb included

■ blinker: S25 valve (150 degrees pin type)

■ LED bulb breakage 180 days warranty (only in Japan)
Taillight

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCtzjoTu...ken-by=78works
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCr0gwVu...ken-by=78works
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBc0gnvu...ken-by=78works

Last edited by MX73; 04-07-16 at 03:57 PM. Reason: actual website
Old 04-07-16, 07:56 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm interested in these as well and I am extremely close to getting these. I just did the TSX-R retro that includes blacking it out as well as wrapping the orange reflector. Cutoff was SUPER nice but the downside is that our lens is 2.75' and the TSX-R is 2.5 so it fitted loosely. Don't know how some other owners did it but it did not work for me. There is nothing wrong with my headlights but I'd picture a slammed black gs with some glowing LED's cruising through the night lol .. Upon researching, there's a lot of people that actually think the light output on these aftermarket headlights are better than stock (not the 3gs particularly). Whether it sucks or not, you just got to make the best of it. But if i do end up getting the headlights before anybody on this thread, i will report on the output as well as pictures.... in the process of doing front and rear bumper conversion first.
Old 04-08-16, 12:50 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you looking for custom stuff, central pine probably has some of the sickest chasing rear lights and front lights I've seen. Hit up Sam I'm sure he will take care of you.
Old 04-22-16, 12:18 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im gonna buy a set.. these are the same guys that make sets for 78 works in japan and there seems to be a bunch of guys running these headlights... unfortunately those sold in japan are configured for rhd cars and beams.. therefore i think i cant really go that wrong ordering these.. ill keep u guys posted..

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Headlights