GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2010 GS350 - issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 06:24 AM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2010 GS350 - issues?

Just bought a 2010 GS350 AWD (99k miles) from a local VW/Audi dealer and I have a 30 day warranty for repairs (3 months on drive train and bigger issues) and I have a few questions. Not sure if these are things the stealer will fix but I'm definitely going to go in with the position of...."Really?? you guys just sold me a $17k car and 'this' and 'that' is not working"! etc, etc. and try to get some kind of guilt trip on them to try and get a few things taken care of (hopefully).

Anyone have any things to definitely inspect or test before my 30 days are up?

Should I change the auto trans fluid (all other fluids too)? I would assume so.

No timing belt to worry about, right? It's a timing chain so no need to worry about changing?

My "Average MPG" message (at the speedometer display area) is ALWAYS at 25.3 MPG.....even if I romp on the gas....... and it never changes at this readout location. How is that possible?

Trunk lid seems heavy to lift, after I depressed the release button on lower left dash......quite heavy, actually. The trunk latch releases but the trunk lid barely lifts up and it requires a lot of effort to lift (in my opinion). I'm a 54 yr old guy with a little arthritis but this would be very hard to open for other people, I'm sure. Possibly the two struts/shocks are worn out? Needs lubed?

A previous thread, someone mentioned to be sure and change the water pump and fluids. I get changing the fluids but what is up with the water pump?

Is it normal for 1 of the the overhead lights to always stay on? The ceiling mounted light cluster near the rear view mirror, there is the one singular beam in the middle that points straight down at the shift lever. Cannot figure out how to turn off. It is supposed to always be on?

So, the seats don't actually have a "cooling" feature (they definitely have heat) and it is actually a "ventilating" (air movement) feature only? Is this a useful feature in the summer (or any other time) when using the A/C?

It's a beautiful car but just want to make sure it's "right". Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions. Please fire away. 1rst tank of gas I averaged out to 23.73 mpg (391 miles divided by 16.48 gallons of Chevron 91 oct Premium) and this was cold conditions so there was idling time warming the car up, etc. I thought pretty OK for a heavy AWD sedan.

Old 11-28-15, 08:06 AM
z2g2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trunk, if the struts were defective they wouldn't hold the deck up when fully open. The deck lid is a little heavy, you might try to lube the hinges.
The single light that lights up the shifter area on the console, on my 08 its only on while the headlights are on and at that time it is a constant. Is far as the AVERAGE mpg readout on speedo that is a overall average. Try a reset it on the center infomation/nav display. The mpg you stated for a awd seems reasonable and checking tank by tank doing the math is the only true way to keep up with it.
Old 11-28-15, 11:18 AM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

i wouldnt change the trans fluid only if you drive it hard ,if you do have a lexus dealer do it
Old 11-30-15, 07:53 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

At 99k I would replace the water pump they seem to go bad between 80k - 120k. The MPG shouldn't stay at the same amount. Granted its an average but mine changes depending on how I'm driving. Some say replace the transmission fluid others including most Lexus deals say don't change the fluid. Personally I find it hard to believe any fluid will last a lifetime. However I'm at 110k and haven't replaced mine as of yet.
Old 12-02-15, 03:19 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Should I change the auto trans fluid (all other fluids too)? I would assume so.
Might as well change all fluids

No timing belt to worry about, right? It's a timing chain so no need to worry about changing?
Chain. Wont have to change it unless it stretches or breaks

My "Average MPG" message (at the speedometer display area) is ALWAYS at 25.3 MPG.....even if I romp on the gas....... and it never changes at this readout location. How is that possible?
You'll have to reset it

Trunk lid seems heavy to lift, after I depressed the release button on lower left dash......quite heavy, actually. The trunk latch releases but the trunk lid barely lifts up and it requires a lot of effort to lift (in my opinion). I'm a 54 yr old guy with a little arthritis but this would be very hard to open for other people, I'm sure. Possibly the two struts/shocks are worn out? Needs lubed?
Replace the supports.

A previous thread, someone mentioned to be sure and change the water pump and fluids. I get changing the fluids but what is up with the water pump?
I wouldn't mess with it unless its leaking or you play on changing the coolant.

Is it normal for 1 of the overhead lights to always stay on? The ceiling mounted light cluster near the rear view mirror, there is the one singular beam in the middle that points straight down at the shift lever. Cannot figure out how to turn off. It is supposed to always be on?
Its a map light. It always stays on

So, the seats don't actually have a "cooling" feature (they definitely have heat) and it is actually a "ventilating" (air movement) feature only? Is this a useful feature in the summer (or any other time) when using the A/C?
Its just moves cabin air through the seat. I hardly used mine.
The following users liked this post:
DVineRite (03-21-17)
Old 12-03-15, 03:12 PM
Jontay
Driver

Thanks to Othic, YaMomma, verly6565, and z2g2gs for all your valued input. Definitely things to ponder.

Anyone else want to weigh in? No one mentioned the CamShaft Timing Gear replacement yet...anyone have something on that as I am very curious to know more?
Old 12-03-15, 07:15 PM
SK430
Rookie

Jontay - we may be experiencing the same exact thing. Except I actually found a ton of problems in my car AFTER taking it off the lot. Like a f'in idiot. Get your entire brake system checked, struts, shocks, control arms, exhaust pipes, and ALL THE LIGHTS.
Old 12-03-15, 08:22 PM
tatumjonj
Rookie

Originally Posted by SK430
Jontay - we may be experiencing the same exact thing. Except I actually found a ton of problems in my car AFTER taking it off the lot. Like a f'in idiot. Get your entire brake system checked, struts, shocks, control arms, exhaust pipes, and ALL THE LIGHTS.
And by "exact same thing" you mean you both recently purchased used cars.
Old 12-03-15, 09:06 PM
SK430
Rookie

Originally Posted by tatumjonj
And by "exact same thing" you mean you both recently purchased used cars.
yes, only that part.
Old 12-03-15, 09:43 PM
tatumjonj
Rookie

Originally Posted by SK430
yes, only that part.
That cracked me up.
Old 05-22-16, 08:18 PM
Jontay
Driver

Othic.................thanks for answering the questions. It was helpful!
Old 05-24-16, 09:18 PM
mevale1411
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valve Spring was the only big recall that I can remember. Check your oil consumption before and after. I would make sure that is properly documented with the dealer.

Preventative maintenance go ahead and change your water pump. If I can do it anyone can. OK looks like your spark plugs will be due at about 120K miles( guys correct me if im wrong here).

I recently replaced my alternator at 170K miles. Its 2 bolts and one nut in the back towards the engine. I did and if I can do it anyone can do it.

Enjoy the car!
Old 05-25-16, 05:44 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I just bought and 08 with 95K miles. Had all the fluids done at the Lexus dealer.
Plugs will be done at the next service.

Peace of mind.