GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 Door Hinge Broke - Question

Old 09-09-15, 05:16 AM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS350 Door Hinge Broke - Question

The rear passenger door has been hard to close on our 07 GS350 for a while now. But since we rarely use the door and according to this forum, this issue is wide spread, we just left it alone. Well last week went to open the door and the top hinge broke Specifically it looks like the piece (bolt) that holds the top and lower hinges together snapped. The parts attached to the car and door are fine.

We are going to attempt a DIY, but in looking for the parts online, they list the parts as upper and lower hinges. Each door has two sets of hinges. But nothing I found lists the bolt that holds the hinges together.

Is the bolt a separate item? Does it come with the upper or lower hinge? What I dont want to do is order a set of hinges (if i dont have to) just for them to arrive and still not have the major piece that we need.

I called my Lexus parts department, but the guy could not answer that question.

If you have completed this repair on your car, which piece did you buy and does the bolt holding the two hinges together come with it? Thanks. Stefnee
Old 07-20-17, 03:02 PM
DeniseYW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, i am experiencing this issue now. My back door passenger side was tight, whereas you have to apply more pressure to close it. When i bought it back in 2012, the car had a little over 50k miles. i thought, the tightness was from it just wasnt used a lot or maybe the door needed to be oiled, anyway, i didnt think much of it. Well fast forward to now July 2017, im putting my mother's suitcase in the back seat, and attempt to close the door..and the door would not close all the way..so i looked to make sure the suitcase wasnt blocking or preventing it from closing, and it wasnt..At this point, im puzzled..so i looked to make sure nothing was caught, in the door preventing it from closing, and it wasnt..so, i go look at the opposite rear door on the drivers side, to compare the differences..and i see where the hinge and door is connected, closing rather smoothly...and i go back around to the passenger rear door, and i noticed the hinge is disconnected from the door..Not only is it disconnected, but its completely off track; and now the front door won't close. At that point, we called AAA and had it towed to Lexus. The customer service rep asked what happened, i said "nothing, i was putting stuff in back sit, went to close the door and it wouldnt close all the way". My door was not hit, jammed, bumped, or swung open by the wind; nothing! I called the insurance and they didnt know, how to file it, since there was no, accident or evidence of vandalism..So, i decided to research and see if others have had this complaint or issue, and sure enough; other Lexus owners with this make, model and Generation series, also witnessed this same occurrance..Lexus America is not taking responsibility for this defect in the hinge or mechanics for this make, year and model..The Lexus America claims representative, say they have no records indicating defects with their doors and/or hinges ��.. I should not have to pay for something that was faulty or defective in the first place. So, yes, i am experiencing this issue as we speak and i have been greatly inconvenienced..i am in Texas and have to return back to Fort Bragg, North Carolina on Monday, without my car, again for the 2nd week in a row.