GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TPMS Wheel reciever/antenna location on the car

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 02:16 PM
Cwiok71
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TPMS Wheel reciever/antenna location on the car

Hey guys,
Does anybody happen to know the location of what reads each rims tire pressure monitor?

I'm guessing there is some sort of reader at each wheel.

I have been battling a TPMS warning light for months now and when I first checked it with Techstream and it said that wheel #1 had no signal then after I rotated my wheels it still says wheel #1 has no signal.

That leads me to believe the an issue lies in what reads the tire pressure monitor in wheel number 1

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks guys
Old 08-23-15, 02:31 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,307 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Each tpms transmitter stem has it's own ID# so wheel #one is wheel #one wherever it is. This is my understanding. Have you tried a search of the forums?
Old 08-24-15, 10:28 AM
sprtn131
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My experience with tpms is you have to get new sensors initialized at the dealer. The have to input each sensor ID # into the computer. Otherwise the light will come on any time the car is on for 59 min
Old 08-25-15, 10:54 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The TPMS receiver is in the roof behind the liner near the overhead light. held by a single screw. If only one wheel is not showing up then probably TPMS sensor is bad and not the receiver
Old 08-27-15, 09:52 AM
Cwiok71
Driver

Originally Posted by blue00
The TPMS receiver is in the roof behind the liner near the overhead light. held by a single screw. If only one wheel is not showing up then probably TPMS sensor is bad and not the receiver
Thanks for the reply. I thought that there might be a receiver in each wheel area.

That was my first guess. That I had a bad monitor, but after I rotated my tires and checked it again with Techstream it still said that wheel #1 was not reporting even though I moved that wheel to the other side of the car.

I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that after I rotated my tires I hadn't driven it long/far enough for the computer to recognize that the wheels were rotated.

With Techstream I cleared the TPMS code and HOPEFULLY when the light comes back on it will indicate that wheel #2 is now not reporting.
Then I will know for sure which TPMS is bad.

What a flipping nightmare
Old 08-27-15, 10:54 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwiok71
Thanks for the reply. I thought that there might be a receiver in each wheel area.
No there is just one receiver

That was my first guess. That I had a bad monitor, but after I rotated my tires and checked it again with Techstream it still said that wheel #1 was not reporting even though I moved that wheel to the other side of the car.
I don't know what version you use, but everything I have seen shows no association of sensor ID with an actual location... it has 5 IDs that the TPMS system can read from, how are you making a mental leap from ID# to wheel position? Whatever wheel has sensor ID1 will always have the ID regardless where it is on the car, put it in the trunk and it will still be ID1. The only way to change it is to manually re-program the TPMS ID to correspond to a different ID# slot.

I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that after I rotated my tires I hadn't driven it long/far enough for the computer to recognize that the wheels were rotated.

With Techstream I cleared the TPMS code and HOPEFULLY when the light comes back on it will indicate that wheel #2 is now not reporting.
Then I will know for sure which TPMS is bad.

What a flipping nightmare
It won't... it will still be ID#1. If all you are trying to figure out which TPMS is gone bad, it is pretty easy. just let out air one tire at a time and see which ID# pressure reading goes down. That way you know which ID is in which wheel... If you call that a nightmare then I'd say you got it pretty easy.
Old 08-27-15, 11:21 PM
Cwiok71
Driver

Originally Posted by blue00
No there is just one receiver

I don't know what version you use, but everything I have seen shows no association of sensor ID with an actual location... it has 5 IDs that the TPMS system can read from, how are you making a mental leap from ID# to wheel position? Whatever wheel has sensor ID1 will always have the ID regardless where it is on the car, put it in the trunk and it will still be ID1. The only way to change it is to manually re-program the TPMS ID to correspond to a different ID# slot.

It won't... it will still be ID#1. If all you are trying to figure out which TPMS is gone bad, it is pretty easy. just let out air one tire at a time and see which ID# pressure reading goes down. That way you know which ID is in which wheel... If you call that a nightmare then I'd say you got it pretty easy.
BAM!!!
You just gave me a project for tomorrow

Thank you so much

Also- I'm running Techstream V10.00.028 that I got off eBay for under $20
You sound like your familiar with Techstream. Do you know how to clear old fault codes?
I have an error code from having the sunroof controls/dome light console unplugged when I was looking for 12volts to power my drive cam. I guess I had the ignition on with that console unplugged and it threw a code
Techstream does not have a spot (that I could find) to clear old codes.

Thanks again for the help

Last edited by Cwiok71; 08-27-15 at 11:30 PM.