GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brake pads rattle when hit on a brake slowly. Will new rattle brake hardware kit fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 06:51 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Brake pads rattle when hit on a brake slowly. Will new rattle brake hardware kit fix

My brake pads been rattling around whenever i hit the brake slowly. I think its the front one. My car is 160k miles and still using the original brake hardware kit. Will the new one fix this annoying rattle? I just cant see how a new piece of metal will stop the pads to move around.
Old 07-27-15, 11:28 AM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it's the brake pad and hardware kit? The hardware should have held the brake pad into the calipers very very snug. If there is any movements at all, it would mean one of the clips went missing or the incorrect pads was installed.
To troubleshoot, remove your wheel and open up your caliper. See if can move the brake pads around just by hand or see if anything is missing.
Old 07-27-15, 02:30 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

cquence, im pretty sure its the pads. when i hit a brake slow, SOMETIMES i heard like a pads rattle inside the caliper. When its close to complete STOP, i didn't hear the rattle.

I removed my wheels couple times already to diagnosed this. No, i can't move the pads with hand. I didn't see anything missing, unless i have no idea what im looking for. How many pieces of hardware kit for the front ?

1 plate
1 long studs to hold the plate
and 1 small tiny piece wire to hold the studs from moving around

that should be it, right ?

thanks for the reply!

Last edited by masboy; 07-27-15 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-27-15, 03:49 PM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, those are all the parts included in the hardware kit but we are not sure what the small metal clips are for as it is not shown in the service manual; as you can see here:

Like brake pads, they can fit multiple applications as the small clip could go onto a different caliper but that is only an assumption. If the brake pads doesn't move left/right and up/down; it is possible it could be rattling inward/outward. Or perhaps it's the calipers themselves? We cannot be entirely sure as we're not there to examine it. The best way to be sure is to have a trusted and certified mechanic check your brake system out. Hope the diagram helps a bit.
Old 07-27-15, 04:34 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

i wonder if its the pistons worn out ? Or maybe not enough lubricant inside ? o boy, i thought its gotta be the anti rattle hardware kit is worn out. back to square one...

thanks cquence!
Old 08-01-15, 08:40 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

alright, found the solution. replacing the anti-rattle hardware kit fix the rattling issue. if ur car made the similar noise when u brake, then u know what to do. here are the difference between brand new hardware kit and the old one.