GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What paint is for our OEM rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 07:40 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What paint is for our OEM rims?

So I'm planning on sanding, repainting, and bondoing my rims... anybody know the paint?

They're in pretty bad shape... was planning to fix them this summer!
Old 07-01-15, 09:42 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check the classified section of this forum man... I don't think it's worth the hassle of going through all that. Most peeps have aftermarket and have the OEM ones sitting in the corner of their living room (like me lol). Just my $0.02.
Old 07-01-15, 11:33 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Yeah check the usual places on online. I just got a good set for $400 shipped. The 3Gs wheels seem much more inferior to the 2GS quality.
Old 07-02-15, 12:53 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by xbladex00
So I'm planning on sanding, repainting, and bondoing my rims... anybody know the paint?

They're in pretty bad shape... was planning to fix them this summer!
Sounds like a fun project. Is there a reason you want oem color? I think now is the time to get whatever color you would like...
Old 07-02-15, 07:11 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rl9010
Sounds like a fun project. Is there a reason you want oem color? I think now is the time to get whatever color you would like...
just trying to get as OEM as possible you know... So the resale wouldn't be bad or w.e my dad wanted to go with black but i Dont like black rims... they look weird too me
Old 07-02-15, 07:13 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Yeah check the usual places on online. I just got a good set for $400 shipped. The 3Gs wheels seem much more inferior to the 2GS quality.
Haha yea... well it's mainly because it wasn't really taken care of and curbbed alot from bad driving people Maybe... I'll see what happens haha
Old 07-02-15, 07:14 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
I would check the classified section of this forum man... I don't think it's worth the hassle of going through all that. Most peeps have aftermarket and have the OEM ones sitting in the corner of their living room (like me lol). Just my $0.02.
Well it's mainly just to learn some experience and to see how good i can get it.... wanna stay OEM since its a family car... where can i find this classified section?
Old 07-02-15, 08:11 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xbladex00
Well it's mainly just to learn some experience and to see how good i can get it.... wanna stay OEM since its a family car... where can i find this classified section?
On the top using FORUMS link then to VENDOR MARKETPLACE AND CLASSIFIEDS then to CLUB LEXUS MEMBER CLASSIFIEDS then to WHEELS AND TIRES.

That rim though looks super corroded my friend, you would have to sand blast off the entire rim to reveal any issues of corrosion that may lead to cracking of the rim itself. You can't just paint over it. Lol... I've had issues of low air from corroded G35 forged rims before so I can understand that you wanna learn and save that rim but man... That's far of a work to save the factory wheels. If you want, hit up the classifieds and find a better condition OEM rims and paint it for the desired look you're after. Good luck
Old 07-02-15, 11:00 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never seen a wheel in worse condition.

That's not even worth painting. The original paint is harder and more durable than typical car paint.

Reminds me I should start waxing my wheels. I see some pitting starting to form.
Old 07-03-15, 07:49 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I've actually seen a GS with those wheels rolling around my area, but they're a bit darker than the normal OEM color. Looks really good.
Old 07-04-15, 08:11 PM
alSpeed2k
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I've never seen a wheel in worse condition.

That's not even worth painting. The original paint is harder and more durable than typical car paint.

Reminds me I should start waxing my wheels. I see some pitting starting to form.
^lol, I totally agree!
Old 07-04-15, 09:50 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

On the top using FORUMS link then to VENDOR MARKETPLACE AND CLASSIFIEDS then to CLUB LEXUS MEMBER CLASSIFIEDS then to WHEELS AND TIRES.

That rim though looks super corroded my friend, you would have to sand blast off the entire rim to reveal any issues of corrosion that may lead to cracking of the rim itself. You can't just paint over it. Lol... I've had issues of low air from corroded G35 forged rims before so I can understand that you wanna learn and save that rim but man... That's far of a work to save the factory wheels. If you want, hit up the classifieds and find a better condition OEM rims and paint it for the desired look you're after. Good luck
When i got new tires shouldn't the tire shop have told me my rims would have been cracked or do you think they wouldn't care?
Old 07-04-15, 10:23 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Idk what kind of reputation they have as a tire shop. If I was a tire shop guy, I'd have a say about your rim and a possible air leak. Sounds to me that they could care less and just wanna do business.
Old 07-04-15, 10:44 PM
weirdone
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are right. Just buy a new rims or a second hand one in good condition.
Old 07-05-15, 06:21 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Idk what kind of reputation they have as a tire shop. If I was a tire shop guy, I'd have a say about your rim and a possible air leak. Sounds to me that they could care less and just wanna do business.
All I know is that they changed 2 of my TPMS knowing that one tire was bad and the other one well... I'm not sure because I think it did leak but very little everytime i had to refill the one that was known.... anyways, if anything i'll see what I can do about these rims.... still debating... and discussing with the family members who have a say.

Quick Reply: What paint is for our OEM rims?