GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

paint problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-15, 08:16 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default paint problem?

So I've known this problem with the car where the paint looks like its not there or something.... but since I've been getting into a bit of detailing on the car (washing/compounding/polish/wax) I was curious on how to fix this... any suggestions? kind of really annoying

Old 06-24-15, 09:22 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Hard to tell but I don't think there is enough paint left for any kind of correction.
Old 06-25-15, 08:04 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rl9010
Hard to tell but I don't think there is enough paint left for any kind of correction.
thanks... figures.. Is the hood aluminum? It doesn't look like it rusts like some swiped spots that i have...
Old 06-26-15, 12:51 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

yes, it's aluminum thankfully. no rusty paint chips.

Looks like someone tried to polish the hell out of failing paint there.
You can try polishing with the least abrasive polish first. It will take more time, but you won't burn through the paint too fast. You'll eventually have to get your hood repainted.

My observation is that dark color paint fails sooner, especially on trunk hood and roof. They get hot as hell.

That's why I wax my smoky granite every month, not because I want to. I use wax that is supposed to last months, but every month I wash my car, the wax is already vaporized and no longer beads water.
People outside of hot southern california get months of beading, but I get less than 1 month because it is parked outside all day.

Last edited by pman6; 06-26-15 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 03:58 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pman6

You can try polishing with the least abrasive polish first. It will take more time, but you won't burn through the paint too fast. You'll eventually have to get your hood repainted.

My observation is that dark color paint fails sooner, especially on trunk hood and roof. They get hot as hell.

That's why I wax my smoky granite every month, not because I want to. I use wax that is supposed to last months, but every month I wash my car, the wax is already vaporized and no longer beads water.
People outside of hot southern california get months of beading, but I get less than 1 month because it is parked outside all day.
hmm thanks for the info, I never polished the car only washed it since i dont have a polisher... I'm about to get myself a polisher machine and see if anything will happen... that kind makes me think since i have a side swipe the lexus too, shouldnt all the panels be aluminum? like say the main body panel (rear side) It started to rust so i just shaved the rust and put some touch up paint on it... I have alot of work to do on this car aesthetic's.... Rim's, bumpers, the whole car lol... The NY weather probably beats the crap out of paint...
speaking of wax... maybe you should try another wax? or maybe try a sealant i heard it works pretty well...
Old 06-27-15, 04:35 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pman6

hmm thanks for the info, I never polished the car only washed it since i dont have a polisher... I'm about to get myself a polisher machine and see if anything will happen... that kind makes me think since i have a side swipe the lexus too, shouldnt all the panels be aluminum? like say the main body panel (rear side) It started to rust so i just shaved the rust and put some touch up paint on it... I have alot of work to do on this car aesthetic's.... Rim's, bumpers, the whole car lol... The NY weather probably beats the crap out of paint...
speaking of wax... maybe you should try another wax? or maybe try a sealant i heard it works pretty well...
Old 06-28-15, 04:07 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

no. the only aluminum panel is the hood. Everything else is plastic and steel
Old 08-05-15, 07:39 PM
NJ07gs350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a body man unfortunately it needs to be resprayed.
Old 08-06-15, 06:32 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 164 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Looks like it was buffed down to the primer. When I got my Gray Gs350, it had clearcoat issues on the roof from bird droppings. I foolishly used a dremel tool with the wrong sanding pad and rubbed the top layer paint off! I should have used extra fine sand paper and wet sanded it. Had to get it resprayed.
Old 08-06-15, 10:47 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I have something similar down on the edge of my rear, passenger-side wheel well. Just a dry spot that looks like some kind of chemical was sprayed on there or something.
Old 08-06-15, 01:59 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Looks like it was buffed down to the primer. When I got my Gray Gs350, it had clearcoat issues on the roof from bird droppings. I foolishly used a dremel tool with the wrong sanding pad and rubbed the top layer paint off! I should have used extra fine sand paper and wet sanded it. Had to get it resprayed.[/QUOTE]

I recently was claying my hood and some paint was coming off like gray... I'm affraid i have to repaint it....
Old 08-06-15, 02:04 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
I have something similar down on the edge of my rear, passenger-side wheel well. Just a dry spot that looks like some kind of chemical was sprayed on there or something.
hmm well wheel well area usually get damaged easily... since rocks fly or running over fluids... should try and get some paint over it or it'll rust... I already have a swipe on my car and it started rusting... got some similar looking paint and just put it on but no clear coat tho... god i wish i had money to spend... I'm planning on buying maybe a pint or more to experiment with painting... might even buy an air brush....
Old 08-06-15, 02:41 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by xbladex00
hmm well wheel well area usually get damaged easily... since rocks fly or running over fluids... should try and get some paint over it or it'll rust... I already have a swipe on my car and it started rusting... got some similar looking paint and just put it on but no clear coat tho... god i wish i had money to spend... I'm planning on buying maybe a pint or more to experiment with painting... might even buy an air brush....
It's on the plastic, thankfully. I'll eventually cover it up with a little Dr. Colorchip and rattle can clear coat, but it's very hard to see, and maybe 2" tall; 1/4" wide.