GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Head on crash 08' GS 460, no airbags deployed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 07:31 AM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head on crash 08' GS 460, no airbags deployed?

Well, first I was able to walk away banged up but in one piece after a trip to ER from the scene of the accident to get neck/back checked out. So an old guy in a Buick (no surprise) going SB gets in his left turn lane to cross over 3 NB lanes of traffic in rush hour without looking. Both sides had green light (and must have thought he had green turn arrow although there is none, only a sign that says YIELD ON GREEN). I cut my car at the last second to the right to avoid a direct head to head and instead my front left took the brunt of the hit and my rear and side slammed against his car. I went into a stopped car at the light.

My question stems around the 1. AIRBAG issue. My crash impact had to be between 30-40 MPH but none of the front airbags deployed nor the sides? Can anyone shed some light on why either would not have gone off. I know I hit more of the quarter panel than front end so I'm not sure. I also know that Tanaka has had some recall issues with Lexus airbags so not sure if this is a bigger problem

2. Thought on being totaled? Frame/axel issues vs 80% value a reason to total? USAA thinks it is based on info of hit ad towing it Monday to salvage yard for review
2008 GS 460 42,000 miles

sorry photos seemed to have flipped in upload as they are fine on my computer. moderator may be able to fix? they are normal when clicked on though
Attached Thumbnails Head on crash 08' GS 460, no airbags deployed?-img_0172.jpg   Head on crash 08' GS 460, no airbags deployed?-img_0174.jpg   Head on crash 08' GS 460, no airbags deployed?-img_2244-2.jpg   Head on crash 08' GS 460, no airbags deployed?-img_2233.jpg   Head on crash 08' GS 460, no airbags deployed?-img_0181.jpg  

Old 06-21-15, 07:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Air bag sensors are probably more toward the middle of the bumper cover.
Old 06-21-15, 09:43 AM
acer0611
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to here about your accident bro. Glad you were able to walk away from it. It pains me to see your car like that and I do believe your insurance will total the car. As far as the airbags go I do believe that they should have gone off. Maybe there were some faulty sensors or something. Again, glad to here your ok.
Old 06-21-15, 10:14 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

on those IIHS small overlap test videos on youtube, i remember airbags do deploy.

hmm
Old 06-21-15, 10:39 AM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by acer0611
Sorry to here about your accident bro. Glad you were able to walk away from it. It pains me to see your car like that and I do believe your insurance will total the car. As far as the airbags go I do believe that they should have gone off. Maybe there were some faulty sensors or something. Again, glad to here your ok.
thanks. i'll follow up once i get a little more direction
Old 06-22-15, 10:23 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Sorry this is the best I could do without the originals. Glad to hear your ok, I'm actually surprised the airbags did not deploy as well. Could be totaled based on damage and the cost to repair and what it is worth right now.

Old 06-24-15, 08:21 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

First off, gladyou are ok cause that's what's important.
Secondly, were you wearing yoru seatbelt?
Old 07-03-15, 10:57 AM
GSracerRY
Pole Position

My wife was involved in a similar accident about 6 months ago and the airbags didn't deploy either.

Old 07-03-15, 11:32 PM
1jz68u
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I had a similar accident in my wife's 2013 Prius. Airbags didn't deploy either. The car was written off.

I don't really have a reason why, I am guessing it needs to be a much more violent accident to set them off.

Last edited by 1jz68u; 07-04-15 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-04-15, 07:02 AM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Default Totaled...

Insurance company did total my car last week. Attorneys say they would have to spend $100+K to pursue product liability case to buy the car and then hire engineers. Since I'm walking and in one piece it devalues the case to some degree. I'm ok with that as I would rather be in one piece The sad news is after 17 years and driving 4 GS models the last 15 years that I actually converted to a new Genesis 5.0 V8. Since Lexus doesn't make the V8 in the GS anymore and the need for more space to accomodate 2 small kids, I made the switch to ...Hyundai lol But i have to admit the car is bad ***.
yes, I was wearing seatbelt. I still have some post concussion issues but getting better
Old 07-04-15, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Sorry about your accident.

This comes up a lot with accidents, "Why didn't my airbags go off" it comes mainly from a lack of understanding of the purpose of airbags, the danger of airbags, and how the vehicle determines whether or not to deploy the airbags in a crash.

First, its not a crumple or a crushing issue, its a deceleration, crash force, and directional issue. Theres a very complex set of sensors that determine deceleration force, directional forces etc. My guess is because of the direction you were turning (and the fact that you said ultimately the side of the car came into contact with the other car) the forces were diagonally between the field of deploying the front airbags and the side airbags, and that turning force actually also dissipates crash forces and lessens the need for the airbags.

The airbags themselves are very violent and can cause serious injury, you don't want them deploying when you don't need them. My guess is since you're walking around and more or less okay the vehicle operated as designed.

The new Genesis is a GREAT car.
Old 07-04-15, 08:33 AM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Sorry about your accident.

This comes up a lot with accidents, "Why didn't my airbags go off" it comes mainly from a lack of understanding of the purpose of airbags, the danger of airbags, and how the vehicle determines whether or not to deploy the airbags in a crash.

First, its not a crumple or a crushing issue, its a deceleration, crash force, and directional issue. Theres a very complex set of sensors that determine deceleration force, directional forces etc. My guess is because of the direction you were turning (and the fact that you said ultimately the side of the car came into contact with the other car) the forces were diagonally between the field of deploying the front airbags and the side airbags, and that turning force actually also dissipates crash forces and lessens the need for the airbags.

The airbags themselves are very violent and can cause serious injury, you don't want them deploying when you don't need them. My guess is since you're walking around and more or less okay the vehicle operated as designed.

The new Genesis is a GREAT car.
Thanks bro. I figured the same thing in realizing I got the best possible outcome considering and one less thing to have dealt with if the airbags did go off.
I do love the Genesis and it has everything in it. Happy 4th all!
Old 07-05-15, 12:17 PM
cdvyas
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello, glad you are okay from the accident! Surprised that that airbag won't deploy when hit from a certain position. Anyways, I see that you had an 06 GS430 before, I have one currently and wanted to ask how different did the 460 feel to drive? Was it a day and night difference? Plus I don't know about you, but what I don't like about my GS is that to get a good response from stop, I have to use the ECT PWR mode or else the thing just upshifts very fast making the car feel slow/not free (unless I nearly floor it). Do any of you guys have this complaint too?