GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brake Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 04:23 PM
RudeMood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Upgrades

When the time comes, what are some good factory or aftermarket brake upgrades for a 2006 GS300?

Are LS brakes a good upgrade? Not sure.

Someone please drop a knowledge bomb.
Old 06-14-15, 07:12 PM
xms
Rookie

gs350, rotors, caliper(4 piston factory), dust shield and your done
Old 06-14-15, 07:16 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If your ABS engages in dry conditions when you apply full braking power, your tires are your limiting factor and no brake upgrade is going to fix that. Keep that in mind.
Old 06-15-15, 02:18 PM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
If your ABS engages in dry conditions when you apply full braking power, your tires are your limiting factor and no brake upgrade is going to fix that. Keep that in mind.
Very good point.
Old 06-15-15, 05:44 PM
RudeMood
Driver School Candidate

What does that have to do with anything?
Old 06-15-15, 05:44 PM
RudeMood
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xms
gs350, rotors, caliper(4 piston factory), dust shield and your done
Thanks!!!
Old 06-15-15, 06:28 PM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RudeMood
When the time comes, what are some good factory or aftermarket brake upgrades for a 2006 GS300?

Are LS brakes a good upgrade? Not sure.

Someone please drop a knowledge bomb.
What kind of braking characteristics are more important to you? Less dust? More stopping power? Low noise? Aesthetics? Depending on what you are looking for, we can make suggestions accordingly...

If you are looking for a simple and cost-effective upgrade, you can simply try to change out your existing rotors and pads with new ones. I believe what comes standard on the GS300 is a ceramic front pad and a semi-metallic rear.

Unless you race your vehicle, there really is no need to change to larger brakes or to a BBK.

Best
Old 06-15-15, 06:52 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeMood
What does that have to do with anything?

Let me put it real simple-like for you: The pistons in the calipers push the pads onto the rotors and they drag across and slow the rotors, which are attached directly to the hub.This slows down the rotation of the hub. Well guess what else is on the hub? The wheel. And what's on the wheel? The tire. What does the tire contact? The ground. What happens when your tire is the limiting factor? The ABS, assuming your car has it, engages and prevents the wheel from locking up and sliding.
Now imagine you stick bigger brakes on this same setup of spinning doodads: You get bigger, prettier brakes that simply lock up your tires faster and your stopping distance doesn't decrease. In fact, it may increase if your brake proportioning is off.
So if you're displeased with your braking and your tires lock up on hard braking, you're not going to be any happier with your braking. That's what that has to do has to do it. Do you now understand it or must I break it down even further?

Last edited by NickTee; 06-15-15 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 10:06 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me put it real simple-like for you: The pistons in the calipers push the pads onto the rotors and they drag across and slow the rotors, which are attached directly to the hub.This slows down the rotation of the hub. Well guess what else is on the hub? The wheel. And what's on the wheel? The tire. What does the tire contact? The ground. What happens when your tire is the limiting factor? The ABS, assuming your car has it, engages and prevents the wheel from locking up and sliding.
Now imagine you stick bigger brakes on this same setup of spinning doodads: You get bigger, prettier brakes that simply lock up your tires faster and your stopping distance doesn't decrease. In fact, it may increase if your brake proportioning is off.
So if you're displeased with your braking and your tires lock up on hard braking, you're not going to be any happier with your braking. That's what that has to do has to do it. Do you now understand it or must I break it down even further?
😂😂👏👏👏👏 well said sir.
Old 06-15-15, 10:57 PM
RudeMood
Driver School Candidate

Well, I am pleased you understand braking dynamics and that your ability to condescend supersedes it.

Next time you try to put things "real simple-like" for someone on the internet, make sure they don't know more than you do, first.
Old 06-16-15, 04:28 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there no need to upgrade your brakes unless your going to track or show your GS.

there are numerous companies that make aftermarket brakes for our car such as StopTech, Skipper japan, brembo, wilwood, f-sport, etc. this list can go on lol

i dont think the LS ones would work or be a direct fit but if you were to put them on you would have to spend alot more than going aftermarket. you would need the hubs, rotors, calipers, knuckles, wheels, and tires. not to mention your new lug pattern will be 5x120 which suck. On top of that you would have to do the rear too so you dont have to buy different lug patterned wheels for front and rear lol

I would rather suggest you go gs350 which wont be too much of a pain and is quite larger than the gs300. you would just need the calipers, caliper brackets, and rotors.

but for aftermarket you can be spending anywhere from 1,500 to 10000 on big brake kit its really not worth it unless you ballin out of control and can throw money around. hope this answers your question.

Last edited by uberEJ; 06-16-15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-16-15, 05:11 AM
MrFuel
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I upgraded my brakes to a full IS-F brake system, and wow what a huge difference in braking power.

Old 06-16-15, 05:41 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFuel
I upgraded my brakes to a full IS-F brake system, and wow what a huge difference in braking power.
i completely forgot about ISF brakes. only real difference is that its 6 pot.

RudeMood id look into doing the ISF if you want a small upgrade
Old 06-16-15, 06:25 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFuel

Sexy ride you got there sir, what's the specs on wheel/tires? What brand wheels? Looking real good there. Haha
Old 06-16-15, 09:19 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that only applies if we are talking about reducing stopping distance, in most cases people are looking for more grabbier brakes with less force needed on the pedal like my self. 1 piston can engage ABS, but does it provide nice firm feel to the pedal and slow the car down with a slightest touch? Some people suggest brake pads, they play a role, but not big enough to get the results you are looking for.

To the OP I would skip the gs350 brake set up, its not as good. I would go aftermarket at that point, it will only cost slightly more.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrades