GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 gs300 engine recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 04:24 PM
finley940
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 gs300 engine recall

I have a 06 gs300 that I just got a few months ago. Ive been having issues with idling and I got code reading which was Po300. After doing some research I found there was a recall on the engine for misfires. I called the lexus dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about. Does anybody by chance have the recall id # from the letters that were sent out? I haven't received 1
Old 05-29-15, 08:23 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not a recall...its basically a TSB with and extended warranty time period for the 06 GS300...9yrs from the in-service date.
Old 05-30-15, 06:12 AM
krava
Lead Lap

I am not going to sugar coat it and going to give it to you as it is. First of all you are in deep trouble. Most likely your car is out of that 9 year warranty. 2nd of all, even when and if you get it fixed the same problem is going to happen again. The only good part is that if you don't drive a lot, you might have a few years before it happens again.

My short story is this. I bought and 06 in 09 with 36K miles. One day I got low oil showing and I was like what the hell. Anyway I got to 145K miles and this was 2013 before that problem showed up. I took the car to lexus of Shreveport. They told me well you have an oil leak it will cost you $5,000 etc. They lied to my face (their own people came out behind their backs and told me they were lying). I ended up going to Sewell Lexus and getting it done for free. I had to drive 200+ miles 1 way to get there.

LExus places are going to give you a lot of **** trying to get this fixed, it is a hard process. If you read the forums you will see all the problems with that. There is no permanent fix.l The design of the engine is wrong and defective and no way to fix it. This is one of the reasons I jumped ship got a different company car. I didn't want the damn engine doing the same thing to me again. THank god that thng got totaled. I wish I can bury that thing in the ground, stand over it and take a **** on it. Because of that 1 flaw, I was forced to buy a car that I didnt' want to buy at a time I didn't want to buy it because I was scared any day that that car would show me low oil and have the engine problem again and it cost $6,000 or so to fix each time. So this is what you have to deal with.

Hopefully you wasn't like that person I ran into that paid around $17K for a gs300 and then a year later see a check OIL show up when everyone knew that car was defective. I can't really feel too sorry for that person because they should have researched that car better. I researched the car I got and I know there are problems with it but nothing major that I can't deal with. But I don't know your situation. But I believe in 2012/13 at the longest, there was a whole lot of talk about this oil issue and that was 2 years ago so people have known about this for some time. Before I got my RLX I spent 3-4 weeks researching, I spent hours each day. I would estimate 200-500 hours of research looking at things and I knew everything about every car that I was interested in, the good and the bad. I looked at the 4gs didn't see anything bad about it and only turned it down because I got a car that cost more almost brand new for the same price as a 3 year old 4gs. I know I got off subject there.
Old 05-30-15, 06:59 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing is going to happen to the 2007-2012 GS 350, yeah, they fitted it with port injection as well as direct injection, but those motors are starting to have problems too. And unbelievably Lexus put a carryover powertrain into the 4th Gen GS, same defective V6.

It's not even the same company that built 400K cars in the early 90s. They just don't care about people who actually buy the cars. They build crap to lease that's designed to fall apart after 100K or so. Most people are stuck in the terminal monthly payment hamster wheel, never owning anything, just churning and churning $500-700/mo. to Lexus Financial. Yay America.
Old 05-30-15, 08:02 AM
krava
Lead Lap

Are you sure about that?? so I made the right decision in not getting a GS?
Old 05-30-15, 12:20 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

All these newer cars suck compared to the cars of the 90's...I currently own all three Japanese luxury lines...and my 94 Legend is thebest built out of all of them. I've have it for 21 years since new and know for a fact that cars like that, LS400, 2 gen GS, will never be built like that again...

While time will tell if the 07+ GS 350 will have problems as bad as the 06 GS 300, I don't have the faith that this car will last nearly as long as the cars I mentioned. If the parts weren't so hard to come by due to them being discontinued and lack of true aftermarket support id love to have those older better built cars.

Lexus and the others have truly taken after the Germans...look around...how many older body styles do you see of those German cars...they. haven't been built to last for the last 25 years...

I agree with LexusLive that they don't care...they only want you in something new with a payment anyway...and part of that is the government's fault with all these CARB regulations but nothing in place to make sure they are perfecting these designs....until it too late then they want to issue recalls like they really care...its sad...
Old 05-30-15, 02:56 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

I'm just getting so sick of our throwaway culture. It is an unfortunate behavioral byproduct of the relentless pursuit of technology combined with NINJA (No Income, No Job, No Assets) style credit. Anyone can buy a "luxury" car today. Almost anyone can STILL buy some overblown, ugly, huge, poorly constructed "luxury" McMantion in any one of a thousand interchangeable, forgettable, soulless suburbs.

You wake up in the morning, chained to a 30 yr Mortgage payment and an lifelong lease, trundle off to work in some crappy grey cube or if your lucky an office with a door, or if you're REALLY lucky the coveted corner office, and punch your clock for 8.5 hours and then trundle home with the rest of the morons for another hour of wasted life, so you can keep up with your crippling mortgage payment and leased luxury car. It takes prodigious quantities of alcohol and/or meds to keep from blowing your brain out of the sheer futility and drudgery of it all. Oh, and your wife and kids hate you because you can't afford a McMantion "starting in the $800s" and Mercedes GL.

yay Amerikka.
Old 05-30-15, 02:58 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by krava
Are you sure about that?? so I made the right decision in not getting a GS?
If you really want a 3rd Gen GS, get a V8 powered 2006 GS 430. Maybe a 2008-2012 GS 460, but I'm really not sure about ANY direct injection motor by Lexus.
Old 05-30-15, 03:26 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLive
If you really want a 3rd Gen GS, get a V8 powered 2006 GS 430. Maybe a 2008-2012 GS 460, but I'm really not sure about ANY direct injection motor by Lexus.
It's not Lexus, it's everyone that released direct injection engines. The difference is Lexus went the furthest to correct the problem that all automakers that had direct injection engines had. Nobody else went as far as offering such extensive warranty work outside of warranty.

To the OP, you are out of luck now there are no 2006 models that were built within the required time frame to get the piston rings work completed so any cars that were out there that did not have it done yet never will.

Gas engines don't have any future any more, it is going to all be about EVs going forward and good riddance to all of the oils and gas if you ask me. I'm not going to weep when the noisy, leaky things are only found in museums.