GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07 gs350 mark levinson doesnt sound that good? No bass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 10:37 AM
sheriffwoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 07 gs350 mark levinson doesnt sound that good? No bass?

I came from am 05 avalon with jbl premium stereo. My gs350 ML is nowhere near as good as that jbl (same company ironically). The gs doesnt have anywhere near the bass the avalon had and much less "simulated" stereo. I have turned on/off the gs350 surround sound setting etc but nothing helps it sound as good as my avalon. The bass is all the way up just to get a decent sound. When i play from my vaistech (hdmi input), movies sound great., but still need bass. Its obvious this system was designed for surround sounds and not really fm stereo? Is this normal? Where is the subwoofer and i will look to make sure its working.
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-20-15, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sub is in the trunk. and yes, i agree that the 3gs ml system is one of the worst, i was quite disappointed (and i owned one). base was lacking big time and even on clarity i think it's not as good as the ml in other models
Old 05-21-15, 02:02 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

There's no much bass in the ML system, but I can assure you it sounds better than the JBL.

That "simulated" may sound good to your ears, but all it is, is distortion from the door speakers IMO.

I've sat in the IS's, not the Avalon, and while the bass was really boomy, It wasn't something I enjoyed....

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't sacrifice midbass for clarity .
Old 05-21-15, 05:54 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Well I got a 07 GS with the ML system, and I got plenty of bass. It sounds really good. Plenty of sounds. Only complaint is that the bass cant go low enough but that's expected on a factory system. Even my IS with the ML bump pretty good.
Old 05-21-15, 08:30 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll be the first to admit that i'm not an audiophile...but my 09's ML system thumps PLENTY for my taste. In fact, I've had to turn the bass DOWN as it seemed to be over-powering the other ranges.
Old 05-21-15, 08:50 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my ML sub with a new one that I found on eBay for 100$. My friends ask me what kind of system I have in my car lol... If you adjust different settings you can make it sound pretty decent. I have surround sound option on , I turn my bass down half way, mids a litter higher than half and treble all the way up. I also put the center sound two notches towards the front. I have to turn the bass down because I listen to rap / hip hop and the bass hits pretty clean with those settings.
Old 05-23-15, 01:14 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

dont no what your complaing about its a stock upgrade ,if you want more bass ,you have to pay for it ,no disrespect,
Old 05-25-15, 03:57 PM
sheriffwoo
Driver School Candidate

I'm the original poster- thanks for everyones input!!! I have an 06 3GS ML

So I went and set all of my EQ controls and fader to middle.
The cabin is all mids and highs, just a small hint of bass.
I felt the subwoofer, both in the trunk and on the back decklid. Just a hint of bass from it.
Now I EQ bass all the way UP, and even turned DOWN the mids and highs all the way. This is the only way to listen to the stereo with any decent bass, and its not loud bass, just the bass 'filling in'.

Then I get in my avalon and whooola wow it's stock but deep bass for a stock system (and great 'simulated' surround from FM radio and CD MP3. (probably only 2 channel).
As for the fake 'ambience' the JBL in the avalon has, its way better than the GS stereo separation.

My GS ML kind of comes alive when you feed it HD audio from hdmi through my Vaistech it comes alive (albeit with very little bass). But the surround sound from a movie works well with the center channel. With FM stereo music or mp3 type audio most of the sound comes out of the center dash speaker on the GS ML, with little separation. Turning the ML to surround sound off made the stereo just sound like a normal Nissan Sentra.

Maybe my amp or sub is out???? Funny though It still works,
but seems like only 20% of what is should be doing.

I would think if the speaker is blown that it would sound fuzzy??? And if the amp was gone it would not make a peep?

As soon as I get time I will dig out the sub amp in the trunk (?) and see whats going on.

Thoughts ?
Old 10-15-16, 08:40 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Originally Posted by sheriffwoo
I'm the original poster- thanks for everyones input!!! I have an 06 3GS ML

So I went and set all of my EQ controls and fader to middle.
The cabin is all mids and highs, just a small hint of bass.
I felt the subwoofer, both in the trunk and on the back decklid. Just a hint of bass from it.
Now I EQ bass all the way UP, and even turned DOWN the mids and highs all the way. This is the only way to listen to the stereo with any decent bass, and its not loud bass, just the bass 'filling in'.

Then I get in my avalon and whooola wow it's stock but deep bass for a stock system (and great 'simulated' surround from FM radio and CD MP3. (probably only 2 channel).
As for the fake 'ambience' the JBL in the avalon has, its way better than the GS stereo separation.

My GS ML kind of comes alive when you feed it HD audio from hdmi through my Vaistech it comes alive (albeit with very little bass). But the surround sound from a movie works well with the center channel. With FM stereo music or mp3 type audio most of the sound comes out of the center dash speaker on the GS ML, with little separation. Turning the ML to surround sound off made the stereo just sound like a normal Nissan Sentra.

Maybe my amp or sub is out???? Funny though It still works,
but seems like only 20% of what is should be doing.

I would think if the speaker is blown that it would sound fuzzy??? And if the amp was gone it would not make a peep?

As soon as I get time I will dig out the sub amp in the trunk (?) and see whats going on.

Thoughts ?
BUMP !

i know it's not an IS forum but my new purchased IS350 2011 has exactly same problem, did you get it fixed, thanks for reply .
Old 10-16-16, 02:19 AM
rumcajs997
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have got GS300 2007 and ML in this model sounds very and I mean VERY average. As you said, there no this "punch" in bass at all. Those things are hard to describe as audio is very subjective but in my opinion standard audio in VW Passat or Audi sounds just way better than ML in GS3. It sounds like there no enough power in the system to drive all those speakers but the problem is that it has got 350W booster so it is more than enough to run it. Especially that as I mentioned, standard VW Passat audio run only by radio without any booster sounds way more "punchy" than GS ML.
Old 10-16-16, 12:38 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

The JBL in my 1999 Solara has much more bass and clearer sound than my old Lexus ES330, even though it didn't have a dedicated sub and the Lexus did.
Old 10-17-16, 06:37 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

its a factory set up all you do is add a sub ,the sound quality is perfect for stock, the factory is not going to make it boom ,if you had a factory system witch boomed your lucky