GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS Garbage??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 10:12 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sheriffwoo
A junkyard transmission is only like $800 including shipping from a wrecked car all day long. Even the awd trans is under $1000. Its an easy install because its not fwd. $1500 total tops. Look on the internet for junkyard search websites.
http://car-part.com/
Old 05-21-15, 04:15 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
So are you saying that they pretty much just hook up techstream and don't really do a diagnostic check like the service manual tells them to?
Basically. Sometimes you can get away with that on certain things like O2 sensors. In the 8 years I've worked for Lexus, 99.9% of the time its the O2 sensor that's bad. You cant do that with a problem like the OP has. No way would I try to sell a trans without going through the entire diagnostic chart.
Old 05-21-15, 08:39 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Othic
Basically. Sometimes you can get away with that on certain things like O2 sensors. In the 8 years I've worked for Lexus, 99.9% of the time its the O2 sensor that's bad. You cant do that with a problem like the OP has. No way would I try to sell a trans without going through the entire diagnostic chart.
Thanks! Its good to hear that...I don't mind paying for an hour or two for proper diagnosis...but it pisses me off when someone only spends 30 then says you need to spend $3k+ on a repair and they can't tell or show you what they did.
Old 05-22-15, 03:48 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
Thanks! Its good to hear that...I don't mind paying for an hour or two for proper diagnosis...but it pisses me off when someone only spends 30 then says you need to spend $3k+ on a repair and they can't tell or show you what they did.
30 days!? Wow! They definitely put that on the back burner. Did they charge any diag time? If they took the pan if it would be a minimum of 2 hours since those cars have a pita procedure to refill the trans with fluid
Old 05-22-15, 05:54 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

get it fixed ,and save money ,they have new updated parts,
Old 05-22-15, 07:56 PM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My apologies for the delayed reply. Thank you to everyone for your opinions and thoughts. We originally took the car to the Lexus dealership and they will not replace just the solenoid. We paid for a second opinion at a local shop that specializes in Lexus. Same diagnosis. Bad solenoid. They also want to change the entire transmission for about the same money $4500. Funny thing…reset the computer and the car shifts flawlessly for a few days. We are leaning towards replacing the transmission at this point. The interior and exterior still looks fantastic. Just had a professional recondition the interior about a month ago. I know there are no guarantees in life but if I thought I could get another 100K miles out of this car, I would keep it.
The following 2 users liked this post by nickeltime:
QLex300 (01-08-22), STEN714 (12-28-21)
Old 05-22-15, 08:10 PM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
last I checked, a lot of people with transmission problems on here are having ECU issues. They also said that Lexus told them to replace the solenoids also, which the problems still persisted.

You said after an ECU reset it drives okay for a while. I'd say that's a good indication your ECU went faulty. Replace it and let us know if that's resolved!

GL OP
Interesting! I will check into the ECU. Thank you!
Old 05-22-15, 08:28 PM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Is the solenoid no good? Have them tell you exactly what diagnostic steps they took to fault the solenoid. If that's the actual problem, they can replace them separately. To me it sounds like they're guessing. If they didn't drop the pan, they didn't check it.
I don't believe the dealer or independent dropped the pan. I believe they used diagnoses tool.

I know you can't see my car but sounds like you know Lexus well. You believe it may be ECU instead of transmission? I wonder If I should try to reseat all the connections on the ECU??
Old 05-23-15, 05:59 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nickeltime
I don't believe the dealer or independent dropped the pan. I believe they used diagnoses tool.

I know you can't see my car but sounds like you know Lexus well. You believe it may be ECU instead of transmission? I wonder If I should try to reseat all the connections on the ECU??
I make my living by knowing these cars well lol. Without the car being in front of me and seeing exactly what its doing its difficult to give you an answer. Did the car give a DTC? What exactly is the transmission doing?
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (01-08-22)
Old 05-23-15, 02:47 PM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

I make my living by knowing these cars well lol. Without the car being in front of me and seeing exactly what its doing its difficult to give you an answer. Did the car give a DTC? What exactly is the transmission doing?
When it takes off in first gear, it hesitates with a bit of jerking. Once you get the car past first gear, there are no problems.

It feels more like a bad gas in the tank or bad gas filter. I really thought bad gas or injectors was the problem but 2 shops told me transmission needs to be replaced because of bad solenoid.

I can reset the computer…No problems for awhile. Just hard to believe the transmission is bad when it works well for awhile.

Maybe its bad ECU. Wish I knew for sure.
Old 05-23-15, 10:14 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nickeltime
When it takes off in first gear, it hesitates with a bit of jerking. Once you get the car past first gear, there are no problems.

It feels more like a bad gas in the tank or bad gas filter. I really thought bad gas or injectors was the problem but 2 shops told me transmission needs to be replaced because of bad solenoid.

I can reset the computer…No problems for awhile. Just hard to believe the transmission is bad when it works well for awhile.

Maybe its bad ECU. Wish I knew for sure.
You could always buy a junkyard ECU and swap it in to see if it fixes it. If it does, yay. If it doesn't, just put it back on eBay and sell it for what you paid for it.
Or take it to a qualified shop.
QLex300 (01-08-22)
Old 05-25-15, 05:38 PM
sheriffwoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
THats the guys!!! Got my transmission from them.

3GS is a great car, not awesome as newer cars but great.
asside from an occasional valve spring issue lol

My trans went at 100,000 miles. Very rare from what I understand but easily fixed through a transmission from car-part.com
QLex300 (01-08-22)
Old 05-26-15, 12:15 PM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sheriffwoo
THats the guys!!! Got my transmission from them.

3GS is a great car, not awesome as newer cars but great.
asside from an occasional valve spring issue lol

My trans went at 100,000 miles. Very rare from what I understand but easily fixed through a transmission from car-part.com
Thank you sir! I will look into it.
Old 07-21-15, 12:35 PM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Update: Lexus ended up selling me the tranny at half the normal cost. The dealer knocked off around $500.00 too. Bottom line…The Lexus Tranny cost me right at $2500.00 out the door installed. If I had not asked them for help, it would of cost me right at $4500.00.

This 2006 GS has had around 12K in engine and tranny work since Ive owned the car. Although Ive talked dirty about my GS, Im happy that Lexus stepped up to the plate with help. My out of pocket has only been $2.5K instead of 12K
QLex300 (01-08-22)
Old 12-27-21, 12:33 PM
DSWininn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny/ECM problem/nightmare

Lately ive been goin through a nightmare wit my 06 gs300, want to see if anyone can give any good input. At 147k i had my transmission rebuilt at a trans. Shop because shift was gettin stuck on 3rd. Paid 4.5k. This was on 04/2020, now 1 1/2 years later at about 163k i started to have the same problem. Vsc light was turning on & i was noticing my gas milage go down as well. Took it in to the same shop since i have warranty there. They replaced something on the tranny, test drove it and they said new codes popped up indicating the ECM/TCM was the problem and they said thats what likely caused the first tranny to go bad. & hopefully it hadnt damaged the rebuilt tranny. So they send ECM to another dealer who specializes in that area to fix it. Then they got it back, test drove car and codes popped up again, now they told me they would remove the tranny and inspect it, they called me and told me they cluthes wer burnt and they would replace them. 2-3 days later i call to get updated, and they say there finishing putting the tranny back togther, i give them another 2 days call back and dude says cars ready to pick up that they been trying to contact me and to come pick up my car cause its takin parking space. I show up to the shop and they give me a story about oh im sorry i thought you wer another customer calling about an infinity who happened to have same name as you.. but your lexus is done we just need to test drive, to give them 30 min. So i wait, walk around to the garage side and see my car on lift, 30 min pass by dude comes out and tell me about some code indicating about a sensor that it hadn't thrown before. So i end up leavin cause i had to be somewhere. Later towards when they closing they call me and tell me they fixed the sensor, issue was that it wasnt put on right. Now dude says he need to test drive BUT the freeway is packed on the 680, and that he would like to keep it over the 3 day weekend which they wer closed so he can test drive and make sure everything is good. So today i call this morning, and dude tells me he test drove it and codes keep popping up and that he was trying to get in contact with the place wer he sent the ECM to get fixxed.

part of me feels like i might be gettin played and since this is coming out they pocket its not a priority to them or they just dont know how to fix it. But the other part in me is giving them benefit of doubt. What you guys reccomend? Ive been having my car in the shop since 11/17/21, and there communication with me has been really poor. Even tho there known to be a reputable shop.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS Garbage??