GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DIY door hinge hole drilling and lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 08:16 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb DIY door hinge hole drilling and lubricant

Finally I got around to tackling my long term issue with my doors. So it all started where I needed a little more force to open or close the door. It kept escalating to more force eventually where I try to close the door and it would bounce back almost like there is a spring in there. I of course can close it with a lot of force, but not with ease. After doing ton of research and numerous bottles of white lithium grease to hopefully get into the crack of the door hinge to lube it, I found a great suggestion to drill holes in the door hinge to get more access to the hinge to lubricate. The only other way to fix this issue is to buy new hinges which costs about $45 a piece and require painting with at least hour labor per door = $180+. Not an option as 3 of my doors would require attention. Also while doing a lot of research, drivers who ignored to lube or replace the hinge found them self with a cracked door hinge. This is not an issue where you can let it be and get used to it, eventually it will break.

Here is the thread with someone who had his hinges drilled and it gave me the idea to do it and make a video for you guys
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-problem.html

Simple tools are required

+ White lithium Grease spray ( I wen't with WD40 White Lithium Grease, there are ton of options)
+ White lithium Grease Lubricant Tube ( It will be used for the drilled holes to block any water or dirt to get into it) Some suggested rubber plugs
+ Electric drill ( something stronger then my drill)
+ 3/32 Drill bit ( You can possible use smaller or bigger I found it to be perfect for me)
+ Gloves, Rag to wipe off any over spray, Beer and some patience

I created a video attaching it here

After you drilled the holes, spray some White Lithium Grease, Open and close the door at least 15 times, within 3 cycles of the steps you should notice your door moving a lot more freely. After you are done lubing the hinge, take White Lithium Grease paste and fill it in the hole so it is completely filled. ( White Lithium Grease is water resistant this is why I filled the holes with it, this might be a temporary fix until I find a better solution but for now it works)

Finished product

Last edited by bigblack06; 04-13-15 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-12-15, 10:39 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great video… thanks for posting this DIY
Old 04-12-15, 10:51 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

I figured someone had to come around and tackle this DIY , I am just really excited to bring back my doors to brand new state.
Old 04-12-15, 11:19 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I accomplish the same result by spraying WD-40 in there. No drilling was needed.
Old 04-13-15, 05:32 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm surprised there's not a way to just remove the door, grease the inside of the hinge and then replace the door. Surely, there's a way to do that....no??!
Old 04-13-15, 01:31 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

arnieosp I accomplish the same result by spraying WD-40 in there. No drilling was needed.
I have done WD40 over a bottle on 2 doors and it slightly loosened up but that lasted total of 3 days. This way it is a much cleaner job with guaranteed results. Also WD40 is not a lubricant more of a solvent. You are suppose to use White Lithium grease.

gr8fulRed I'm surprised there's not a way to just remove the door, grease the inside of the hinge and then replace the door. Surely, there's a way to do that....no??!
I thought of removing the door, but it seems to a be a locked unit, there is actually no way to disconnect bottom of a hinge from the top. If it was that simple I would or removed it, put ton of white lithium grease and moved on.

If other methods work for you guys, that's great please share them, As per my research no one accomplished proven results other ways.
Old 04-13-15, 03:15 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I have done WD40 over a bottle on 2 doors and it slightly loosened up but that lasted total of 3 days. This way it is a much cleaner job with guaranteed results. Also WD40 is not a lubricant more of a solvent. You are suppose to use White Lithium grease.

I thought of removing the door, but it seems to a be a locked unit, there is actually no way to disconnect bottom of a hinge from the top. If it was that simple I would or removed it, put ton of white lithium grease and moved on.

If other methods work for you guys, that's great please share them, As per my research no one accomplished proven results other ways.
Well, I'll take your word for it. I haven't looked to see how the doors are attached. Out of curiosity, what year and how many miles is your GS? Wondering if and when mine will need this "drill and fill" treatment. Good tutorial....hopefully....I never need it !!
Old 04-13-15, 04:32 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Its a 2007 almost at 100,000k miles, this door issue started like 3 years ago and at 52k miles. It starts of feeling tad bit heavy until it gets worse and worse.
Old 01-30-17, 12:27 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus

Someone mentioned pushing or punching out the center pin, like a regular house door.

If you were at that point and had actually taken the door off, it would be much easier to drill it, then lube it. I have done this and it works almost like new again! Saved money on parts for the 2 hinges and labor.
Old 09-04-21, 04:55 AM
museumstev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just registered to say thanks for this. Had my GS300 (2005) for a few years and always put the stiff rear doors down to lack of use as the car is in excellent condition throughout. I started to look at the issue when it was being cleaned a couple of weeks ago and the cleaner struggled to open the door and I was getting worried that he may actually break the handle.
So here I am a couple of weeks later and I've just drilled and greased the rear door hinges and 30 minutes later it's like a revelation.
Many thanks
Old 09-04-21, 09:37 AM
Oceans13
Intermediate

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts

Is this a common occurrence in northern climates?