GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Guy Needs some guidance: Fog Light Relay

Old 02-18-15, 08:50 AM
patwaal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Needs some guidance: Fog Light Relay

Hello fellow CL members,

I am a new member, just picked up a 2007 Lexus GS450h in MM. I appreciate all of the helpful information on this board and have done a thorough search but cannot find an answer for my question and thought that posting would be my best bet.

I have tried everything that I could up to this point but can not get my fog lights and city lights to work. I have changed the bulbs, checked the fuses and the only other thing that I can think of is the fog light relay. Can anyone advise me on the location of the fog light relay on the 3GS, I am almost positive that this is definitely the issue for the fogs and I'm also hopeful that it could be the issue with the city lights.

Also, i've seen that there is a 7.5a fuse in the trunk that is labeled 'RR Fog', I'm pretty sure this is for non USDM models but any thoughts on maybe this being the culprit?

Sorry for being a PITA on my first post but any assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I LOVE my GS

Thanks
Neal
Old 02-19-15, 08:27 AM
patwaal
Driver School Candidate

So it seems that I'm not the only one that is baffled here. 81 views and not a single reply, lol
Old 02-19-15, 11:20 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah i know how it feels to have people view and not answer but let me see if i can help with my previous experiences.

it may not be a relay itself but another fuse that can cause your city lights and or fog lights not to work. check all fuses before resorting to a relay. i would pull them all out and then put them back in their original location. i can't tell you how many fuse locations you have since your a 450h but i do know for fact the other fuses can cause the problem (i.e. "left control switch" the switch for the headlight/fog. it may have a seperate fuse that the fogs/city lights itself) so check all your fuse locations and make sure all the fuses are not blown.

hopefully that helps.

and i dont mean any insult to this at all but are you turning the actual fog light switch where the headlight switch is? im just saying because it took me almost a full day to try and figure out where the fog light switch is. i kept looking for it in that drop down box our cars had. lol
Old 02-19-15, 11:51 AM
patwaal
Driver School Candidate

uberEJ - I appreciate the information and I haven't thought about checking all of the fuses so I will definitely do so. I appreciate you pointing that out. As for the fog light switch, yeah that was the first step in my process of elimination and no offense taken at all.
Old 02-19-15, 11:55 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

yeah take a look at all the fuses the worse thing that can happen is your setting for your radio and seat will get reset lol.

and if you find the relay and that doesn't solve the problem you may have to trace the wiring to make sure nothing got accidentally cut or wired wrong somehow. i had an issue with my civic due to the camshaft position sensors being the same color clip and the same lengths getting switch around when i tucked the wires lol

small stuff like that can make you super irritated thinking its a bigger problem than it is.
Old 02-19-15, 12:42 PM
patwaal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man!

I am still curious to know the location of the relay though, lol
Old 02-20-15, 05:49 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patwaal
Thanks man!

I am still curious to know the location of the relay though, lol
and i really wish i could tell you lol

i don't even know were all my fuse and relay locations are. the only one i can remember off the top of my head is the one under the glove box and I'm sure there's one in the engine bay.
Old 02-23-15, 08:48 AM
patwaal
Driver School Candidate

So I checked the fuses over the wknd and they seem to be fine.

Anyone with guidance on relay location?

Thanks
PA
Old 02-26-15, 12:20 PM
patwaal
Driver School Candidate

Bueller??!!
Old 02-27-15, 04:04 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

bueller?

did you ever find the fuse/relay locations?
Old 02-27-15, 07:34 AM
ptan1968us
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fog relay locates inside this integrated device. You will hear the relay clicking sound when turn on and off fog light switch. I would recommend unplug the left connector (start from the red wires) and double check the inserts for loose contacts, or check for broken wires.
Old 02-27-15, 01:52 PM
patwaal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ptan, I will give that a try. So is the actual relay built to not be user accessible?
Old 02-27-15, 03:32 PM
ptan1968us
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by patwaal
Thanks ptan, I will give that a try. So is the actual relay built to not be user accessible?
Not a problem. Unfortunately, these built-in devices are under highly coated by epoxy or RTV solid waterproof and neither user friendly accessible or repairable. If one of the internal component went bad then the whole unit has to be replaced.

Good luck patwaal.
Old 02-28-15, 01:44 PM
patwaal
Driver School Candidate

Whoa ptan that would really suck. I should have the chance to get under the hood today so I will report back my findings.

In the meantime, I just had my car tinted yesterday and driving it home I noticed the message 'Check Act Stab' which is obviously referring to the Active Power Stabilizer but the car isn't handling or driving any different than it was prior to this message popping up so I'm not sure what to really check. Hate to be the always needy guy but any tips/pointers here would be greatly appreciated. When I picked up the car the one thing that I did notice is that the steering wheel was turned all the way to the right where it was parked....

Thanks
Neal
Old 03-02-15, 09:39 AM
patwaal
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys,

I appreciate all of the help and have narrowed it down to the issue with the info that ptan provided. I do not hear the relay clicking when fogs are turned on and all of the connections are properly secured so I have a faulty 'front controller' in the fuse box. I've seen some recycled ones for sale online for about $150 unless someone on here has access to one for less.

I've kinda put this fog issue on the back burner to figure out the Active Power Stabilizer warning light I am getting and as I mentioned before I think this is more or a sensor issue rather than actual mechanical because I do not feel the vehicle is any different than prior to this light. Does anyone know if this is something that can be cleared using an OBD2 scanner?

Thanks
Neal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Guy Needs some guidance: Fog Light Relay