GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

car felt like it wanted to accelerate as I was coming to a stop..

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 05:33 AM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default car felt like it wanted to accelerate as I was coming to a stop..

Any thoughts on this? Never happened before but this morning as I was coming to a stop and braking, the car felt as though it was accelerating... 07 gs350, 65k miles

Last edited by sprtdsgnGS; 02-20-15 at 05:39 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 02-20-15, 06:30 AM
acer0611
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How cold was it this morning and had the car reached normal operating temp. It normally happens in cold weather because the RPMS are a little higher to warm up the car faster. If i were you I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-20-15, 07:03 AM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Even here in Florida it was cold this morning...prob around 30 degrees..I thought the cold may have had something to do with it. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-20-15, 07:17 AM
acer0611
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem, that's what we're here for.
Old 02-22-15, 11:15 AM
ta1972
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtdsgnGS
Any thoughts on this? Never happened before but this morning as I was coming to a stop and braking, the car felt as though it was accelerating... 07 gs350, 65k miles
Is it a down shift clunk/jerk when coming to a complete stop? If it is, I'm having the same issues.
Old 02-22-15, 11:52 AM
Lexo11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this happen to me a few times already, even under warm weather conditions. How many miles do you have on the car and have you cleaned your throttle body yet?
Old 02-22-15, 05:57 PM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Originally Posted by ta1972
Is it a down shift clunk/jerk when coming to a complete stop? If it is, I'm having the same issues.
No it just felt like it wanted to keep moving forward as I was braking. No hard clunking. Felt as though I had to press the brakes harder to get it to stop. Never happened before to me.
Old 02-22-15, 05:59 PM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexo11
I've had this happen to me a few times already, even under warm weather conditions. How many miles do you have on the car and have you cleaned your throttle body yet?
I have about 65k miles, and have not cleaned the throttle body. Is this something the dealer recommends at any specific mileage? Have you done it and did it help? This was a one time incident for me so far and it was much colder than usual here.
Old 02-22-15, 06:21 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The brake is the pedal on the left not the one to the right
Old 02-22-15, 06:50 PM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Originally Posted by sam12345
The brake is the pedal on the left not the one to the right
Thanks for taking the time to clarify, douche
Old 02-22-15, 07:23 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No car on earth can accelerate when you have your foot on the brake and pushing it hard so hence my clarification.
Old 02-22-15, 07:43 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have about 65k miles, and have not cleaned the throttle body. Is this something the dealer recommends at any specific mileage? Have you done it and did it help? This was a one time incident for me so far and it was much colder than usual here.
It's not recommended at any interval. This car just idles high for a long time when it's cold outside...we had temps in the low 30's last week and it was almost normal operating temp before it idled down.
Old 02-23-15, 12:30 PM
Steve2424
Driver

The same thing happens to me in colder temperatures. I notice that the GS operates better in colder temperatures after letting the temp gauge get to the 4th hashmark, and the transmission doesn't have this happen. Would cleaning the throttle body also help with this as well as idle smoothness?
Old 02-24-15, 12:02 AM
Lexo11
Rookie

correct me if I'm wrong but these are the symptoms: Driving at slow speeds and coming to a stop slowly while your foot is on the break you begin to feel the vehicle accelerating on it's own. So you begin to push down on the break but see very little results.

I made a post about a year ago or so about the same issue. I remember the first time it happened to me. I was coming to a stop and put my foot on the break only to feel the car is accelerating on its own Afterwards, it had occurred a few more times and at this point I was more aware of the situation.

I'm assuming the throttle body maybe dirty and isn't able to open and close properly due to build up. I have not yet cleaned my throttle body and plan to do so very soon.

Some insight on this would be appreciated.
Old 02-24-15, 03:49 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexo11
correct me if I'm wrong but these are the symptoms: Driving at slow speeds and coming to a stop slowly while your foot is on the break you begin to feel the vehicle accelerating on it's own. So you begin to push down on the break but see very little results.

I made a post about a year ago or so about the same issue. I remember the first time it happened to me. I was coming to a stop and put my foot on the break only to feel the car is accelerating on its own Afterwards, it had occurred a few more times and at this point I was more aware of the situation.

I'm assuming the throttle body maybe dirty and isn't able to open and close properly due to build up. I have not yet cleaned my throttle body and plan to do so very soon.

Some insight on this would be appreciated.

^^ Same here. I am going to have my mechanic clean this as well when I do a 60K service on my GS. Is there any pitfalls of this process I should tell him about?

As far as the jerkiness, it's always been in the colder temperatures, BUT only if my car has NOT reached the 4th hashmark on the temperature gauge. I always warm my cars up to good operating temperatures -- usually a hashmark or 2 past the C -- but the GS seems to require a longer warm up time. In this wonderful NY weather recently it's taken anywhere from 15-20 minutes for my car to warm up to the 4th hashmark on the temperature gauge. Once the needle reaches just past the line it drastically reduces RPM's (going from 1K to 600-650) and lets off a shudder due to the RPM decline. I normally wait another minute or 2 so it gets itself "warmer" and when driving it shifts fine and precise.

IF I begin driving after only passing the 2nd or 3rd haskmark, this downshifting/ feeling of unstoppable acceleration under braking happens and goes away (you guessed it) by the time the needle passes hashmark 4. I'm assuming this is when the transmission fluid has reached a good operating temperature. Just my 2 cents if anyone has noticed this.

Last edited by Steve2424; 02-24-15 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: car felt like it wanted to accelerate as I was coming to a stop..