GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Brake Pads Click When Shifting Car Forward or Backward

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 07:41 PM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New Brake Pads Click When Shifting Car Forward or Backward

Hi,

I bought Akebono cermaic pads for my GS 350 AWD which I thought were high quality good fitment pads as they even advertise them on tirerack.com. Now I am not really impressed. After about a month every time I pull out of my garage in the morning they click and squeal (squeak).

The scenario: After I come home from work at night I pull into my driveway and park in the garage. The pads are already seated in the forward position from driveing forward and parking. Then in the morning I go and back up in reverse to pull out, I tap the brakes to stop and shift into drive to pull forward; at the moment I depress the break pedal the two front rotors simultaneously click and sometimes squeal. Sometimes when I get in my car at the transit center in front of everyone this happens. Its really annoying and kind of embarrassing to say the least! This is LEXUS, not some whooptie!

Is there a shim kit or something I can add to the brake pads to sit in between the pads and rotors to get them to stop moving. I know that there not moving a lot but whatever play they have is causing me brake pad buyers remorse.

I went with these Akebono ceramic because they dust much less then stock semi-metallic pads. Becuase I had them on my Audi and they didnt dust nearly as much as the stock set. But once and while they too would click in this situation but nearly as much as now in my Lex.

I may just get the stock pads and call it a day on this. But would rather not have too if there is a quick fix solution.

Thanks,

L
Old 02-16-15, 09:02 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experienced shifting on multiple brake pads, including OEM. Usually OEM shims seem to fix the issue. I would suggest use OEM shims and OEM brake kit (hardware) see if that solves the issue. Also don't forget to lubricate between shim and brake pad.
Old 02-18-15, 01:59 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't have high performance brakes unless they dust, squeal, and click a lot.

Doesn't akebono make a lot of lexus oem pads?
Old 03-04-15, 07:41 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I have experienced shifting on multiple brake pads, including OEM. Usually OEM shims seem to fix the issue. I would suggest use OEM shims and OEM brake kit (hardware) see if that solves the issue. Also don't forget to lubricate between shim and brake pad.

I am currently using the OEM shims and I lubricated the back sides of all the pads a whole lot before installing. I also cleaned the area with brake pad cleaner before installing.

I'll probably get OEM pads and try that. But I wont get around to doing that until the spring time when it warms up.
Old 03-04-15, 05:40 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLadi
I am currently using the OEM shims and I lubricated the back sides of all the pads a whole lot before installing. I also cleaned the area with brake pad cleaner before installing.

I'll probably get OEM pads and try that. But I wont get around to doing that until the spring time when it warms up.
Don't be so sure that OEM brakes will fix that issue, between my 3 sets of oem brake pads 2 have shifted. I could never figure out what it was.
Old 03-30-15, 11:55 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

So I spoke to a service tech and off the record what I could do to fix this issue is to ballpein the ends of the rotors. Not the pad surface which makes contact with the rotor but rather the heavy duty metal shim that protrudes out and makes contact with the caliper. He showed me on a new set of pads. Supposedly you take a hammer to the ends of all the pads.
Old 07-05-17, 10:33 PM
alexvidaca
Driver School Candidate

Default Fix

Were you able to resolve this issue? I have exactly the same problem.

QUOTE=LexusLadi;8915349]Hi,

I bought Akebono cermaic pads for my GS 350 AWD which I thought were high quality good fitment pads as they even advertise them on tirerack.com. Now I am not really impressed. After about a month every time I pull out of my garage in the morning they click and squeal (squeak).

The scenario: After I come home from work at night I pull into my driveway and park in the garage. The pads are already seated in the forward position from driveing forward and parking. Then in the morning I go and back up in reverse to pull out, I tap the brakes to stop and shift into drive to pull forward; at the moment I depress the break pedal the two front rotors simultaneously click and sometimes squeal. Sometimes when I get in my car at the transit center in front of everyone this happens. Its really annoying and kind of embarrassing to say the least! This is LEXUS, not some whooptie!

Is there a shim kit or something I can add to the brake pads to sit in between the pads and rotors to get them to stop moving. I know that there not moving a lot but whatever play they have is causing me brake pad buyers remorse.

I went with these Akebono ceramic because they dust much less then stock semi-metallic pads. Becuase I had them on my Audi and they didnt dust nearly as much as the stock set. But once and while they too would click in this situation but nearly as much as now in my Lex.

I may just get the stock pads and call it a day on this. But would rather not have too if there is a quick fix solution.

Thanks,

L
[/QUOTE]