GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 350 alternator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 09:45 AM
Tidwelr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 350 alternator replacement

Is the autozone diagnostic test for your alternator and starter reliable? Had them do a test the other day and the guy said my alternator and voltage regulator failed the test. Thus, I've been calling around to get quotes for replacing the alternator. It's my understanding the voltage regulator is part of the alternator. Anyways, I've called probably called 5 or 6 places and all but one told me it takes 3.5-4 hrs to replace the alternator on the 08' GS 350. The one outlier told me that the other places were just trying to gouge me on the labor. He said it should only take an hour to do it. I said to him, " are you sure and he said yes we work on Lexus vehicles all the time. He also said that he uses the same part that you would get directly from Lexus but he goes directly to the supplier to save on cost. The reviews for his shop are really good but so are the ones for the next best place I found in terms of price and reviews....they said, however, that it takes 4 hours to do the job. Best price i found out the door was $476 which I think is pretty decent. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thoughts?
Old 01-08-15, 12:38 PM
Tidwelr1
Driver School Candidate

Default Bump

Anyone out there have any insight on alternator replacement for a gs 350? What is a fair price to have it done? How much time should it take a mechanic to replace an alternator?
Old 01-08-15, 12:42 PM
Flymase
Rookie

$449 for my alternator assembly and 306 in labor. This is from a local shop in Tallahassee, FL. I had mine replaced on 11/21/14. I also used the OEM alternator for the replacement
Old 01-08-15, 01:24 PM
Tidwelr1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flymase
$449 for my alternator assembly and 306 in labor. This is from a local shop in Tallahassee, FL. I had mine replaced on 11/21/14. I also used the OEM alternator for the replacement
thanks. The part isn't OEM but they are giving me 2 yrs on the part and labor. I'm not keeping the car that much longer so I think it's a good deal from what I can tell.
Old 01-08-15, 04:15 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Make sure your battery is good before you replace the alternator. I had autozone tell me the same thing years ago on a 4runner. Drove up to advance auto and they determined it was the battery and it was the battery.
Old 01-08-15, 04:17 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

If you are mechanically inclined, you can rebuild the alternator for less than $40. I got the brush kit ring and the face plate with the bearing already pressed in from Sewells. Takes about 30 Minutes to rebuild it and about that long to get it out and back in.
Old 01-08-15, 05:36 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't jump in replacing any alternator until you actually have an issue and completely sure it is the alternator. My car also failed there voltage regular test, but I have had zero issues after that test and its been 2 years, until Lexus them self replaced the alternator do to it squeezing on the morning starts. Now for us to better assist you, why did you go to Autozone to get that test done? Did the battery die? Its a 2008 GS350 might be time for a new battery, I bought a yellow duralast battery from them and it works just fine with like 6 year warranty.
Old 01-08-15, 10:55 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Min died out last week at 130k. I didn't have the time to fix it myself but was charged around $800 to replace it. I believe it was $350 for parts (Denso) and around $400 labor plus tax.
Old 01-09-15, 08:34 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

good lord that is expensive
Old 01-09-15, 10:45 AM
Tidwelr1
Driver School Candidate

Default Follow up

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I wouldn't jump in replacing any alternator until you actually have an issue and completely sure it is the alternator. My car also failed there voltage regular test, but I have had zero issues after that test and its been 2 years, until Lexus them self replaced the alternator do to it squeezing on the morning starts. Now for us to better assist you, why did you go to Autozone to get that test done? Did the battery die? Its a 2008 GS350 might be time for a new battery, I bought a yellow duralast battery from them and it works just fine with like 6 year warranty.
so I went in this morning to the mechanic I selected to replace the alternator. Requested that he test the alternator to make sure it's bad. It passed the test. Alternator is just fine. He said that sometimes after you put a new battery in, the alternator will fail a diagnostic test. Thus, I'm not out $500 to replace it. BTW, $500 was the cheapest I could find out the door for parts and labor with a 2 yr warranty on parts and labor. Hope that helps future forum members. Got a quote from 6-7 places and $750 was the highest I found that included part and labor. All but one mechanic stated that the 08 GS takes longer than normal bc the air compressor has to be removed to get to the alternator. The guy that told me that's not the case has a great reputation here as being very honest and reliable. I don't know what to think, but I'm just glad I don't have to replace it. I'm in Lexington, SC. There's a smaller town right next to Lexington and that's where I found the better prices from two different places in that area. Lesson learned was to go to a little more of a rural area and you might find a better deal.
Old 01-09-15, 10:56 AM
Tidwelr1
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery did die

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
meant to mention that yes my battery had died over the holidays bc I didn't drive the car for several days while we were out of town. The battery was still under warranty with autozone (gold series) and they tried to charge it, but it was done. Thus, they replaced it bc it was only 2 yrs old. I went back the next day just to make sure my starter and alternator were ok and that's when it failed their diagnostic test. My neighbor "swore" to me it probably wasn't the battery...had to be the starter or alternator. Lol! Thus, I started the search of trying to find someone to replace it. The other reason I had them check the starter and alternator though was bc my radio has been randomly turning off for no reason at all. I think I saw another thread where someone mentioned this issue. Anyone know about the radios randomly turning off?
Old 01-09-15, 11:15 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Thanks for update. The compressor does not need to be removed to get alternator out.
Old 01-09-15, 12:53 PM
Tidwelr1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by burny
Thanks for update. The compressor does not need to be removed to get alternator out.
are you serious? So are all of the auto repair places in on this to gouge customers on labor costs? One place told me they use some book or something that tells them how much time it takes to do the job.
Old 01-09-15, 04:32 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

the book calls for the compressor to be removed. If you remove the bracket off the alternator, it will slide out the top with a little effort.
Old 01-09-15, 09:43 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically every shop should use a special software that shows them how to take it off and how much time it requires, not always the software's are correct. Most often they ask for more parts to be removed then needed.

Quick Reply: GS 350 alternator replacement