GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

fixed rain sensor having senior moments- 2007GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 04:39 PM
lexuseng
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fixed rain sensor having senior moments- 2007GS

I searched for a solution for my intermittent wiper problem without success so thought I would post what I found on my 2007 GS. As these cars age, this might become a common problem. Disclaimer: following is my observation and comments come from ONE sensor repair, you get what you pay for.

My rain sensor for the wipers started going berserk. They wouldn’t wipe when needed or extremely hard and fast for no reason. I looked at the sensor from outside the windshield (near the rear view mirror) and could see the sensor appeared half dark, half white as if there was a void or air bubble. I figured it should be all dark or all white. I pried off the interior cover (anyone who has snapped these covers off knows the snaps can break easily so be careful, better to pull off with abrupt yank than try to slowly peel off in my opinion). This exposes the sensor, there is another cover piece that slides off the front of the sensor. There are two notches for your fingernails on the side and you just slide this off (towards the windshield). Then you can remove the sensor from the holder that is permanently attached to the windshield. There is a clear gel pad that is stuck to the windshield. I did not remove this but there was a clear grease between this gel pad and the sensor and I think this was the problem. It had allowed a void in some area which is why it appeared white, air gaps. So I cleaned the grease off the gel pad and the sensor glass using alcohol and re-assembled. Now it works like normal again. I did try just disconnecting the sensor hoping it would default to a timed intermittent wiper but this didn't work.

I guess to do it right if I had some optical grade clear grease, I should have smeared new grease between the surfaces but I didn’t so I just cleaned the surfaces. The grease probably prevents condensation forming between the surfaces so maybe I may eventually have an issue. Any windshield repair shop would have this or at least know if it is needed. Working over a month now.
Old 12-30-18, 08:48 AM
professorm
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

My GS 350 rain sensing wiper is not reliably wiping the glass. Is there something I can do to change the sensitivity? The **** is not working correctly. Sometimes its too fast and sometimes it too slow and the sensitivity rotating **** does not correct it. Sometimes it doesn't wipe at all when it rains.
Old 01-13-19, 09:02 PM
professorm
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Anyone found what this gel that is needed for the rain sensing wipers?
Old 01-13-19, 09:25 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the write up I gotta check mine out it seems a little off at times