GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sound system upgrade help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 06:12 PM
voleduy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound system upgrade help?

Looking to upgrade the sound system on my 3GS but got a coupe questions:

Is the sub located right under the dash? Looks like it but not sure.
I want to have a clear and better sound than stock but don't want to throw too much $$$ into it so any recommendations guys?
Old 11-20-14, 08:12 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The sub is located in the rear deck. The only thing you can really do to upgrade sound without spending to much is just replace all the oem speakers and tweeters or just upgrade the fronts since rears are just fillers anyway.
Old 11-21-14, 04:06 AM
voleduy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SILENTM
The sub is located in the rear deck. The only thing you can really do to upgrade sound without spending to much is just replace all the oem speakers and tweeters or just upgrade the fronts since rears are just fillers anyway.
Do you know if Lexus had equiped their speakers with an Amp already or not and is the sub replacable since it's located in the rear deck?
I probably will upgrade the whole system since Black Friday is coming
Old 11-21-14, 08:03 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by voleduy
Do you know if Lexus had equiped their speakers with an Amp already or not and is the sub replacable since it's located in the rear deck?
I probably will upgrade the whole system since Black Friday is coming
Do you have ML or stock? The stock is easier to modify than the ML. As for the sub...its going to be a hell of a lot easier just to relocate the one you want to install than to modify the existing location.
Old 11-21-14, 08:23 AM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a stock amp in the right side of the trunk
Old 11-21-14, 08:43 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did my system in the RX and one of the options was rather cheap. Buy through the dealership a digital sound processor (DSP) either a Helix , Audio control DQ or JL audio clean sweep and last but not least is JBL ms-8.
All the above will take your stock speakers and give them better time alignment, a sense of depth, better blending of the stock speakers and so forth. The DSP are made to "upgrade" your stock speakers and I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how they sound once properly tuned.

So buy a dsp, keep everything stock and do from there. Also perhaps throw out the stock factory under powered amp and buy a Alpine pdx or JL audio amp and be ready to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 11-21-14 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-21-14, 10:08 AM
voleduy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Just did my system in the RX and one of the options was rather cheap. Buy through the dealership a digital sound processor (DSP) either a Helix , Audio control DQ or JL audio clean sweep and last but not least is JBL ms-8.
All the above will take your stock speakers and give them better time alignment, a sense of depth, better blending of the stock speakers and so forth. The DSP are made to "upgrade" your stock speakers and I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how they sound once properly tuned.

So buy a dsp, keep everything stock and do from there. Also perhaps throw out the stock factory under powered amp and buy a Alpine pdx or JL audio amp and be ready to be pleasantly surprised.
How do you install the DSP? and how much of output for the power I should buy? dont want to buy a too powerful one that could end up blowing the speakers. I'm not sure if my is ML but it does sound better with radio and satelite but sucks with MP3 and ipod.
Old 11-21-14, 10:09 AM
voleduy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
Do you have ML or stock? The stock is easier to modify than the ML. As for the sub...its going to be a hell of a lot easier just to relocate the one you want to install than to modify the existing location.
How do you figure it out? I looked around the interior but could not find any sign of audio brand.
Old 11-22-14, 10:53 AM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you figure it out? I looked around the interior but could not find any sign of audio brand.
If you have ML, near the tape deck portion of the head unit it will say Mark Levinson. If not, then it's the stock sound system. Curious for this as well as I'm contemplating an upgrade also. Let us know what you end up with
Old 11-22-14, 03:05 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm interested in going this route too, although I was experience having 2 12's competition subs in the past, this time around I rather just keep it simple and replace oem stuff with aftermarket but enough for the stock amp to handle. I have ML system as well.
Old 11-22-14, 03:10 PM
voleduy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Steve2424
If you have ML, near the tape deck portion of the head unit it will say Mark Levinson. If not, then it's the stock sound system. Curious for this as well as I'm contemplating an upgrade also. Let us know what you end up with
I just bought a set of Focal Speaker to install them in the front. Will keep everyone in loop
Old 11-23-14, 12:16 AM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

I just bought a set of Focal Speaker to install them in the front. Will keep everyone in loop
Please do.
Good luck!!!
Old 09-26-15, 12:06 PM
Iknowspurg
Driver

The focal speakers have my eye right now. How did they work out for you??
Old 01-06-16, 11:58 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Has anyone with a ML system swapped out the sub in the rear deck for something aftermarket?

I believe the ML has a 10inch sub in the back and am tempted to swap it for a jl 10w6. I believe i need a DSP (audiocontrol lc8i?), amp (jl XD600/1v2?). Is there anything I am missing?

Ideally do not want to use a box, but am not sure of what my options really are. Should I use a JL prowedge+ and call it a day?
Old 01-07-16, 09:02 AM
adrock265
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

The size of the enclosure you would have to build for that w6 would stick down and take up just as much room if not more than a box would. I have a Memphis audio 12 in a box that only takes up half of that back indent of the trunk. Or you could build an enclosure into either side of the trunk. The nice thing about my box is I can pull it out if need be necessary but I feel wanting to keep as much trunk space as possible

Quick Reply: Sound system upgrade help?