GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Considering the purchase of 07 GS350

Old 09-17-14, 01:12 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Thumbs up Considering the purchase of 07 GS350

Good afternoon to all of you avid overs of the Lexus GS!
I have to say that the GS is something I've been in love with for quite a while, but I had to get over my fixation/addiction to having a Yukon Denali the way I wanted it. I think my fix has pretty much come to an end, and I am really ready to dive into the CL world, which I stumbled upon recently, and perhaps purchase my very first Lexus GS.

I have been perusing this site for about 10-12 days now and I've come across so much information, along with doing other research on-line. I've also seen some absolutely beautiful GS's! Some even made me from only wanting an exclusive black/black, to white/black!

Anyways, to cut to it, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it if any of you guys could share with me some things that I should be looking for - ask the salesman/dealership when looking at one that I may consider purchasing. Also, my Denali hasn't given me much trouble at all and the issues I had, I could pretty much do it myself (enjoy doing work on vehicles in my garage). How is the ease/cost of repair? A reason I am considering Lexus is due to its notorious reputation for dependability and craftsmanship.

Any other information is appreciated!
Thanks so much in advance guys/gals! Looking forward to what you all have to say!
Happy driving!
Old 09-17-14, 02:04 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

If you are looking for potential issues to consider I would suggest the following:

- make sure water pump is not leaking
- dash noises - creaks, etc.
- transmission slippage/shuddering
- check recalls were done - cam gears, valves, etc.
- then all of the obvious stuff you would look at for any car
Old 09-17-14, 02:14 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure all re-calls/stb's have been performed. If getting from a dealer see you can get a print out of the service history. That should tell you what was done (Dealerwise). Check for the dash squeek/rattle, some report it being bad but in mine it very minor if that. AS far as maint cost, if your a DIY'er you can purchase parts from Sewell Lexus (Vendor on CL) to save some money. My cousin works at a local dealership so he takes care of anything I need. Not sure what cost are for a Denali but your stepping up in the car world with a Lexus so it'll be more than say a regular toyota. I never had an issues wit my 07 GS350 nor did I with my IS300.
Old 09-17-14, 04:51 PM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 07 GS 350, sold it, and purchased another GS 350 with a lot lower mileage, I just missed the Lexus luxury, comfort, and the uniqueness of the GS (you don't see them everywhere on the road). I tried looking for 08+ but found the price, color, and fully loaded options I wanted.

Like everyone says just make sure all the recalls were completed. You can check on my.lexus site when you put in the VIN the service history of the vehicle. If you have any questions just call the dealership that performed the work and they will explain it to you. A few things to check out for, my '07 only had 35,000 miles and had the HVAC TSIB where it was clogged and leaking water. Also both bottom rear brake caliper pins were seized even though the TSIB on that was completed.
Old 09-17-14, 05:14 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alchemist
If you are looking for potential issues to consider I would suggest the following:

Thank you greatly for taking the time to respond. I will seriously take this into consideration!
Old 09-17-14, 05:20 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MizikeTSK
Make sure all re-calls/stb's have been performed. If getting from a dealer see you can get a print out of the service history. That should tell you what was done (Dealerwise). Check for the dash squeek/rattle, some report it being bad but in mine it very minor if that. AS far as maint cost, if your a DIY'er you can purchase parts from Sewell Lexus (Vendor on CL) to save some money. My cousin works at a local dealership so he takes care of anything I need. Not sure what cost are for a Denali but your stepping up in the car world with a Lexus so it'll be more than say a regular toyota. I never had an issues wit my 07 GS350 nor did I with my IS300.
Great to hear. I keep hearing about this dash noise issue...will pay attention to it on a good test drive. I just want to make sure I'm buying a car that will take me 180-200k with minimal issues. Aside from my Denali, I have am 00 Honda Accord 2Dr. that has 170k on it. Has been, overall a great car. I live in the Chicago area as well and it actually does pretty well in the snow! Just ready for another timeless, well built, stabile safe car!
Old 09-17-14, 05:27 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PWRSTEVE
I had a 07 GS 350, sold it, and purchased another GS 350 with a lot lower mileage, I just missed the Lexus luxury, comfort, and the uniqueness of the GS (you don't see them everywhere on the road). I tried looking for 08+ but found the price, color, and fully loaded options I wanted.

Like everyone says just make sure all the recalls were completed. You can check on my.lexus site when you put in the VIN the service history of the vehicle. If you have any questions just call the dealership that performed the work and they will explain it to you. A few things to check out for, my '07 only had 35,000 miles and had the HVAC TSIB where it was clogged and leaking water. Also both bottom rear brake caliper pins were seized even though the TSIB on that was completed.
I absolutely understand tour viewpoint regarding finding the right year/color combo! I have a sincere love for blk/blk, but I've seen a few white/blk on here that are pretty sick!
Now, please excuse my ignorance, but what does TSIB stand for? And imnassuming from reading your responce this TSIB is related to the braking system? HVAC?? Are the brakes water cooled? This is also the 2nd or third time I'm hearing about seized calipers on this car, should this be a concern? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-14, 05:35 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alchemist

Oh, one more thing I wanted to say, this may seem like it's an ignorant comment, but based on what I've read in combination with personal experience with cars, it seems as though with Lexus, this model and the LS anyways, it's not so much about gaps many miles the car has, but moreso about the upkeep and the maintenance schedule. That can be said for almost any car, but we all know that there are vehicles out there that even if you follow strict maintenance plans, they still faulter due to build quality..