GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2010 GS350: annoyances...or is it me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 07:22 AM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2010 GS350: annoyances...or is it me?

2010 GS350 AWD that has a couple of annoying features (or lack of features?), but maybe I am doing something wrong? I'm thinking maybe I am possibly doing something wrong and it's just operator error (which is often the case with me, lol)?

1) Sunglass compartment: How did any car at $50k+ not have a sun glass holder compartment as a standard option? I end up just setting my sunglasses in front of the gear shift lever but they often slide around and fall onto the passenger side floorboard. Is there a compartment that I am not aware of or was this an additional option feature that 1st owner didn't purchase?

2) AC/Temp control: I cannot adjust the desired cabin air temperature unless I go to the 'climate' screen and then turn on the fan. It seems like I should just be able to adjust the flow through air to whatever desired temp without having to turn on the fan first and then turn it off.
IE: If it is a chilly morning and the climate control is set to 'LO", I must first access the 'Climate' screen, turn on the fan (to any speed), then and only then can I adjust the temperature up to desired temp, and then have to turn fans off.
It seems like I should just be able to adjust temperature control to desired range without having to go through the 'Climate' touch screen.

3) Auto-dimming rear view mirror: This is my 2nd Lexus (2005 ES300) and both have had the auto dimming mirror. Man, do I miss being able to just flip a lever to turn mirror to night mode. It seems like way too often there is a truck behind me (at a little distance) with the "brights" on or LED's and the rear view mirror doesn't shcange until the vehicle is relatively close to me. I would just like to be able to change it to di much sooner.

4) Radio display screen: Screen shuts off (blank screen) after apros 30 seconds or so. Then, when I change the station...the new station does not display until the second station is selected. Then, screen stays on again for approx 30-60 seconds and goes to black again. I'm Ok with the screen turning off automatically (I like it actually) but not sure as to why there is no display until I select the second station?

5) Squeaky brakes: Seems like whenever it is wet out that the brakes "squeak" when coming to a stop. Noticed onprevious owners dealer records that they took it in several times for this. I also read somewhere that this is just an inherent issue with the GS models(?).

6) Trunk lid hard to lift: Seems way too heavy and awkward to lift up than it should be. Is this just a matter of replacing the trun lid struts? Btw, the trunk does stay open when when in its full upright position (fully open).
Also, the hood won't stay open at all and I just assume this is definitely the hood struts being worn out? Will be ordering new from RockAuto in very near future. Maybe I should order all 4 since they are about $10/ea.?

7) PWR/ECT/SNOW switch and another switch picturing a car skidding/OFF: Two rocker switches below center console cover (accessed when I slide cover backwards, next to seat temp controls). cannot tell any difference when I use either of these. I assume both are for some type of wet/snow conditions but I have not noticed any difference when driving in the wet or snow when I activate either or both of these buttons.
Btw, this car is AWD and it works fantastic in the snow. Very stable! Just not sure what these switches are doing.

I do have the original window sticker is anyone needs to know of listed features. Thanks for any advice or comments.
Old 06-23-19, 10:53 AM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You're saying pressing the temp up /down should automatically turn on the blower if it's off? Theres the auto function have you tried that?

I can agree with trunk lid being hard to lift.

Pwr mode is sport mode. More responsive throttle. You can drive normally with it but when you accerelate fast it will hold high rpms and stay in a low gear to give you instant acceleration. Turn it on like James Bond fly away and turn it off haha. The other button is to turn off traction control or vsc or both not sure.
Snow mode is only for when you get stuck? Car is beast in snow already.
Old 06-23-19, 03:30 PM
Jontay
Driver

Originally Posted by potatomon
You're saying pressing the temp up /down should automatically turn on the blower if it's off? Theres the auto function have you tried that?

I can agree with trunk lid being hard to lift.

Pwr mode is sport mode. More responsive throttle. You can drive normally with it but when you accerelate fast it will hold high rpms and stay in a low gear to give you instant acceleration. Turn it on like James Bond fly away and turn it off haha. The other button is to turn off traction control or vsc or both not sure.
Snow mode is only for when you get stuck? Car is beast in snow already.
I often like the fan off with the "fresh air" selected so that the air coming out of the vents will be fresh outside air. So, lets say its a cool morning.....I still want fresh air but if I want to to warm up the air coming in then I have to:
1) activate the Climate screen
2) turn ON the fan to any of the speeds
3) adjust the temp up using the temp button.
4) turn the fan OFF (again, often dont like the fan on)
Then, lets say its getting warmer outside, I would have to do the same procedure except turn the temp button down.
With every car I've ever owned (30-40?) all I had to do is just adjust the temp button/dial and DIDN'T have to turn the blower/fan on to change the temp of the outside air coming in.
Bottom line, it seems odd that I have to activate the blower/fan to adjust the temp when using fresh air.

I'll check out that PWR switch and see if I notice a difference.

What is an example of an instance when I need to turn on/off the traction control? Should it be on or off for everyday driving in normal /dry weather?

How does the other button help me if I was to be stuck in the snow? In other words..... what changes on the car that would provide a benefit when stuck?
Old 06-23-19, 04:48 PM
Kton
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sunglass compartment is forward of the moonroof controls, I'm pretty sure. Press lightly on the empty blank rectangular space.
Old 06-23-19, 04:58 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

its maybe a bad quality control car ,mine is a 2010 gs350 with not one creak or problem the most perfect car
my mothers 41,000 mercedes c class has been in the shop7 times and its brand new ,it has annoying rattles ,the ac takes forever to cool the car down ,passenger seat bolt came loose and the chair rocks ,drivers axle snapped,lucky she,s under warranty
Old 06-23-19, 08:08 PM
Jontay
Driver

Originally Posted by Kton
sunglass compartment is forward of the moonroof controls, I'm pretty sure. Press lightly on the empty blank rectangular space.
Nope, nothing there.
Old 06-23-19, 08:19 PM
Jontay
Driver

Originally Posted by verly6565
its maybe a bad quality control car ,mine is a 2010 gs350 with not one creak or problem the most perfect car
my mothers 41,000 mercedes c class has been in the shop7 times and its brand new ,it has annoying rattles ,the ac takes forever to cool the car down ,passenger seat bolt came loose and the chair rocks ,drivers axle snapped,lucky she,s under warranty
So its not misinterpreted.....Im not complaining at all about problems Im having. Im asking if others with this model notice these same things? Seems more like a couple of bad ergonomic design issues, maybe? The radio issue might actually be something wrong but Im asking if others notice these same things?

Are you saying that you dont have to turn ON your blower/fan to adjust your temperature?

Do your brakes "squeak/squeal" when wet? I read somewhere that this is a inherint problem with the 3rd gen GS.
Old 06-23-19, 09:39 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontay
Nope, nothing there.
My 09 GS350 AWD has it. I've never seen one that didn't.
Old 06-24-19, 09:41 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by tghw
My 09 GS350 AWD has it. I've never seen one that didn't.
2010 GS460- no sunglass holder in that spot. I wonder if it was a package option? Do you have the Lexus Safety Connect button there as well?

edit- it must have been a package option. manual shows 'overhead console(if equipped)' in the list of storage features. Looks like there are quite a few available on eBay.

Last edited by mspearl95; 06-24-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 05:55 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kton
Not on the 2010-2011 GS when they implemented the Safety Connect System.
Old 06-24-19, 06:24 PM
Hugh9591
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I am a new-ish owner of a 2008 GS-350 and I note many of the same issues. Regarding item 2, I think you can get the system running by hitting the AUTO button below the touch screen. It's annoying that we don't have a physical fan motor dial or buttons; if that touch screen dies we are SOL.
Old 06-24-19, 06:47 PM
Jontay
Driver

Originally Posted by Hugh9591
I am a new-ish owner of a 2008 GS-350 and I note many of the same issues. Regarding item 2, I think you can get the system running by hitting the AUTO button below the touch screen. It's annoying that we don't have a physical fan motor dial or buttons; if that touch screen dies we are SOL.
Thanks for reply. However, I dont wish to use "auto" because a temp I want one day is different from another. Plus, the auto uses either a/c or heat to get to that temp. I just want to know if it is possible to adjust the temp of the outside air coming in

I am simply asking........does everyone/anyone agree that I have to go through the process I laid out in original post earlier IF I just want to adjust the temp of the outside air coming into the cabin? Im trying to find out if Im missing something or if something is wrong that I just cant adjust the temp up/down without having the blower on.
Old 06-24-19, 07:18 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontay

1) Sunglass compartment:

2) AC/Temp control:

3) Auto-dimming rear view mirror:

5) Squeaky brakes:

6) Trunk lid hard to lift:

7) PWR/ECT/SNOW switch and another switch picturing a car skidding/OFF:
1) Lexus added the Safety connect system that eliminated the sunglass holder. You can probably install the console from a pre-2010 model but you'll lose the Safety Connect button.
2) You will need to turn the fan on. No way around it and to be honest, it's like this on all newer Lexus.
3) You can't adjust the sensitivity of the Auto dim sensor.
5) I think Lexus has an updated pad and procedure on the GS350 and IS350 brake pads.
6) You will need to replace the trunk struts. I'm not sure why Lexus went with the scissor design instead of a hinge design trunk for the 3rd gen.
7) Snow mode will reduce engine power but it's hardly noticeable in a car with so much power. If you tried the Eco mode in the newer Lexus, they don't do much.
Old 06-25-19, 05:41 AM
Jontay
Driver

Originally Posted by MX73
1) Lexus added the Safety connect system that eliminated the sunglass holder. You can probably install the console from a pre-2010 model but you'll lose the Safety Connect button.
2) You will need to turn the fan on. No way around it and to be honest, it's like this on all newer Lexus.
3) You can't adjust the sensitivity of the Auto dim sensor.
5) I think Lexus has an updated pad and procedure on the GS350 and IS350 brake pads.
6) You will need to replace the trunk struts. I'm not sure why Lexus went with the scissor design instead of a hinge design trunk for the 3rd gen.
7) Snow mode will reduce engine power but it's hardly noticeable in a car with so much power. If you tried the Eco mode in the newer Lexus, they don't do much.
Thank you so much for the knowledgeable and thorough followup on my questions. I really appreciate it !!! And a big thanks on answering #2.

It seems to be a really great car (I've owned for 3.5+ years) and I've put a little over 50k on it and it now sits at 150k. Nicest car I've ever had, for sure. Wish it didn't have these "quirks" I mentioned but I think all cars probably have something going on that irritates someone or another, lol. Thanks again!
Old 06-25-19, 11:51 AM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have many, but the fact that I have to hit the CLIMATE button first is annoying. Most vehicles have controls for both fan speed and temp somewhere on the dashboard.

I do miss the sunglasses holder on my 2011 GS350, but now I just place them in the center console.

Quick Reply: 2010 GS350: annoyances...or is it me?