GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Is this a common problem for this model
Yes
50.00%
No
50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

2010 gs350 awd

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-14, 08:30 AM
shonda2620
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2010 gs350 awd

Hello to all,
I am new to the community; however I am not new to the lexus family. I am on my 4th lexus; 1st ES300 1995 (cousin total lost 2001), ES300 2001 (sister total lost December 2013), GS 350 AWD 2007 (sold), and now GS2010 (I currently own). I flew to NH to purchase this vehicle certified, March 27, 2014. The staff was not friendly and they did not give me a test drive. Anyway, as I was driving off (very slow speed) from the dealership I noticed a rubbing/scrubbing noise front the front of the vehicle. The next day I started the car and backed out of my garage, put on brakes, turned the steering wheel to the far right and pressed slightly on the accelerator and I heard another noise; sounded like CV Joints going bad. So I contacted the dealer and they told me to bring the vehicle over; this was on 4/4/14. The noise was heard and they applied grease to something (cant remember what). The next morning the noise was back; be mindful the noise is intermittent but mostly after the car has sat and never when the brake is applied. So I contacted Lexus and let them know the problem; however I am really busy at work and couldn't drop everything and go over. Finally on 5/9/2014 I returned to Lexus, by appointment, and test drove with the lead service tech. The tech identified the noise several times during the drive; hard turns recreated the issue. Lexus contacted me and stated that they had welded something and that should ahve fixed the problem. As Im pulling off I hear the noise and I think maybe whatever they did needed to settle (???). However the next day same problem; so I contacted Lexus again. When I returned from a business trip I returned the vehicle; 5/21/2014. On 5/23/2014 I received a call stating that the tech could not duplicate the noise and if I could come and ride (again). So I left work and went. As soon as we got in the car (tech driving), he put the car in drive and made a sharp left turn (click, click, click); and the scrubbing noise got worse. Now instead of scrubbing on left or right hard turn, now its scrubbing going forward. So I asked why couldn't he do that without me. I had left "specific" notes as to when it happens, keep the windows rolled up, of course dont turn on radio and drive normal. So I left the car. On 5/30/2014 they had the vehicle fixed (yeah right); they adjusted the rear backing plate. Ok so you had my car 1 week, total time about 2+ weeks and the noise was coming from the backing plates ( I said this to myself). As usual the noise came back and I contacted Lexus. I brought the car back in on 6/13/14 and they replaced the right axle. My thoughts, if you are hearing it from both sides why wouldn't you replace both sides (??). Ok took the car home and again before I left the lexus lot, the noise was back. So I called the dealership right away. I did not turn around, I went home to pack for another business trip. Also if i would have turned around I probably would have given them a piece of my mind and that would not have been good for the situation. I was feed up so upon arrival from my business trip I scheduled an appointment with another lexus dealership; same owner but another location. 7/18/2014 I take the car in and they call back the following week and say it was the front right caliper and it was replaced; however he stated that he didn't hear the clicking noise. I pick the car up on July 22, 2014 and by July 23, 2014 I was taking the car back. The rubbing noise they claim came from the tires and they couldn't duplicate the clicking noise. On July 29, 2014 they called me in to ride with the tech; be mindful I still have a loaner. They took me to the repair department and my car was on a lift and they dropped it down. The tech asked if I wanted to drive and I told him he could drive. I also pointed at the car that was on the lift directly beside mine and stated that by the time we get to that car you will hear the noise. GUESS WHAT!!! Yes he heard the noise. On July 30, 2014, they figured out the problem and told me that they had good and bad news. The good news was they found the problem and the bad news is they can't fix it. It is a typical noise for that vehicle and it comes from the brake acuators. So I went to pick my vehicle up on July 31, 2014 (today) and I asked if they bleed/flushed the brakes and he said No; and then I asked him if he replaced the actuators and he said No. So lets recount the events, You have had my car for 2 weeks with specific directions and couldn't duplicate the noise. I come and ride with the tech and majically the noise is replicated within seconds and majically you know the problem; however you dont give me any explanation and nothing was done to confirm. That let me know they googled and came to this site and by this brake acutator issue being ongoing with no resolution they blame it on it. However the problem is that the noise is not made when braking, its made when the wheel is turned and the accelator is inclined. I know this is alot but if anyone knows or has this same problem, please, please, please give me some insite. Thanks for all replies
Old 07-31-14, 01:26 PM
bpjadhav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey shonda2620 - welcome to the forum! I have a 2008 GS350 AWD and have the same problem. I get the rubbing sound (almost like a faint hiss) while turning. I can only hear it if the windows are down and I am turning the car in an enclosed structure such as a parking garage. I used to own an Avalon before I purchased the GS and it had the same problem. I assumed this is a common problem with Toyotas. As much as this problem bothers me, I did not think it warranted a visit to the stealership since I have complete faith that they will give me the runaround.

I am almost convinced the noise is somewhere close to the wheels - like the caliper or the brake pads. I haven't seen any uneven wear on the tires. The wheels don't feel excessively hot after a drive either so I have been trying to ignore the faint sound.

I don't have any clicking noises, just the rubbing (almost like a whoosh) noise only when I turn the car. I wish I could be more helpful, but at least now you know you are not the only one with this problem!