GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New tire and rims - vibrations??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-14, 08:44 AM
hanuman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tire and rims - vibrations??

Hey Gang

Just got the Vossen CV3 - 19 inch staggered set up for the Gs 460.

Yes they are growing on me. I went back to discount tire because it vibrated above 60 mph. They had to re balance all the tires. They road forced and found one tire that needed adjustment. Off Iwent.

So the first day all is good. Now I am getting the same vibration back sometimes it better and others it's worse its just wierd. The vibration is coming up the brake pedal and some steering. But the steering wheel does not shimmey back or forth. I am running 35 psi on the fronts and 33 on rears.

Any ideas?
Old 06-18-14, 11:16 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Anytime there is a vibration through the brake pedal it most likely isn't the wheel and is the rotors from my experience.

typically a unbalanced or incorrectly balanced wheel will cause vibration between 40-60 mph
Old 06-18-14, 11:52 AM
hanuman
Rookie

So you think it might be a warped rotor or it needs indexing? Car has 45k and the dealer did a brake job right before I got it?

Your in the tire business. How do ypu explain the wheels being off the 2nd time?
Old 07-28-14, 06:07 AM
hanuman
Rookie

Ok guys had tire shop change out tires to Mich pilot AS3. Awsome tires, much better that DWS extreme. Had to pay slightly more though.

The vibration is still not entirely gone. Any suggestions? Lexus service said all looks good from a suspension and drive line perspective, they say it's the wheels.

Could it be warped rotors, they are original to the car, they had been resurfaced and new pads where put on as part of a warranty item.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-14, 06:48 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

did you buy hub rings with the wheels?
Old 07-28-14, 07:27 AM
2008gs460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hanuman
Ok guys had tire shop change out tires to Mich pilot AS3. Awsome tires, much better that DWS extreme. Had to pay slightly more though.

The vibration is still not entirely gone. Any suggestions? Lexus service said all looks good from a suspension and drive line perspective, they say it's the wheels.

Could it be warped rotors, they are original to the car, they had been resurfaced and new pads where put on as part of a warranty item.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I use the OEM brakes/rotors, I also have the Mich pilot AS3 on my GS460.

At about 50K into the FRONT rotors, I get the vibration that I think you are describing when braking. Its annoying, but, not a safety issue. In fact, I have it right now and got new rotors delivered about 2 weeks ago.

Don't turn the rotors, just replace them. They are not expensive at Sewell and easy to swap out. Be advised the fronts are deceptively heavy though.

PS - With the pilots, don't be surprised if your car pulls to the right. Its not an alignment issue or anything, it just seems that they like to pull to the right.
Old 07-28-14, 11:49 AM
hanuman
Rookie

Thanks for the info,i am not getting the vibration while braking. I too am not a fan of turning but that's what prev owner had done. I am thinking of new pads and rotors just because to eliminate and get rid of the brake dust. Just cannot stand the dust makes wheels look really cheap.

As for hub rings yes, vossen sent those out with the rims.
Old 07-28-14, 12:32 PM
2008gs460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hanuman
Thanks for the info,i am not getting the vibration while braking. I too am not a fan of turning but that's what prev owner had done. I am thinking of new pads and rotors just because to eliminate and get rid of the brake dust. Just cannot stand the dust makes wheels look really cheap.

As for hub rings yes, vossen sent those out with the rims.
I understand, I don't have that issue. Maybe get an alignment done and see if that helps.

Regarding brake dust there is a service advisory on "brake dust concerns" google this: L-SB-0121-08

Not sure if all of the new pads are the new kind or if there are the old ones and the new ones.
Old 07-29-14, 10:36 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sewell sells both the old and the new pads.
Old 07-29-14, 11:24 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I had a similar issue when I put Works on my SC, but it turned out to be the guys at Discount not knowing how to properly balance the wheels with weights when I had new tires put on. Happened twice in a row, so it could be multiple goofs on the tire shop's part.
Old 07-29-14, 11:24 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

So tires were switched and you still get the slight shake.

The shake or shimmy is when your applying the brakes ? if so it is the rotors

If the shimmy is not due to braking then alignment could be it if your toe is off imagine dragging something across a road it will cause the tires to kind of skip in a way and not run smoothly.
Old 07-29-14, 04:06 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

I had a similar problem. Turns out it was my wheels not being balanced. I replaced my tires as one had a unrepairable hole and rebalanced the wheels and the noise was gone
Old 07-29-14, 06:15 PM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah sometimes you need to be persistent with balancing of the wheels… sucks when you have to tell them how to do their jobs.
Old 07-29-14, 09:50 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of a bent wheel.
Old 07-30-14, 05:02 AM
hanuman
Rookie

Thanks guys for the input. I am going to try and have them do another rebalance it's just a drag having to keep going there. Maybe I just need to invest in my own balancer as picky as I am maybe that's the answer. Lol

Yes new tires, no shimmy when braking only above 60 mph under that speed it's a dream. Now oddly enough the car was parked over the weekend and on Monday it drive like all the wheels were off.

As for the alignment lexus puts that machine on it every time I go in for service and it reads the car is fine so not sure there either.

Quick Reply: New tire and rims - vibrations??