GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS 300 reverse light question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 04:17 PM
mrxthuan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GS 300 reverse light question

Hey members.....i was trying to find a guide on how to change out my reverse lights to LED, I'm having problems removing the panel. The guide i found on here had all the pictures removed, any help?

I'm also trying to change the lights for the make up mirror. Please help!
Old 07-25-14, 10:28 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrxthuan
Hey members.....i was trying to find a guide on how to change out my reverse lights to LED, I'm having problems removing the panel. The guide i found on here had all the pictures removed, any help?

I'm also trying to change the lights for the make up mirror. Please help!
There is a bit of a trick to it, you have to remove all of the clips which I'm sure you did. On the right there is a handle with a fake panel. Remove the fake panel and there are two screws that need to come out. On the left the glow in the dark trunk release lever comes apart in two pieces.

If you look closely there are two small rectangles, stick a small screw driver in there to release the clips so that the top and bottom part separate. The glow in the dark handle DOES NOT come out only remove the top part.

This is what my trunk looked like after I added dynamat. Look closely at the green glow in the dark handle to understand how it comes apart.

I hope this makes since, if not let me know and I'll take a few more pictures. I have an extra set of LED that I was thinking about using for my reverse lights. I can take pictures of the removal process when I switch them out if needed.
Old 07-26-14, 02:59 AM
mrxthuan
Driver School Candidate

thanks buddy! let me try it again this weekend and see how far i can get. by any chance do you know how to change the dome light in the car? the make up mirror part; behind the visors?
Old 07-26-14, 03:58 AM
jubay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default reverse lights

Changing the reverse lights was pretty easy,it took me less then 5mins,I would like to change out my outside mirror lights & the visor lights,does anyone know how to do this?
Attached Thumbnails 2006 GS 300 reverse light question-2014-07-26-06.53.03.png  
Old 07-26-14, 07:09 AM
07LEXPL
Driver School Candidate

in the side mirror lights all i did was turn the mirrors inward and up so i can get to the screw inside the housing then just pride it open slightly so the light housing gets loose and comes out, then just change bulb put light housing into its place and screw the one screw back in. total 5 minutes. little bit of a angle to get the screw out so don't strip it. not too hard, take a look in the housing you will see the screw once you angle the mirror in and up. good luck.
Old 07-26-14, 08:24 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

It took me about 5 min to replace both reverse lights. You don't need to remove the entire trunk liner. There's three fasteners on each the top left and right corners, remove those and you'll have enough wiggle room toe remove the reverse light. Remember turn counter clockwise and bulb comes out.
Old 07-26-14, 08:28 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

Originally Posted by 07LEXPL
in the side mirror lights all i did was turn the mirrors inward and up so i can get to the screw inside the housing then just pride it open slightly so the light housing gets loose and comes out, then just change bulb put light housing into its place and screw the one screw back in. total 5 minutes. little bit of a angle to get the screw out so don't strip it. not too hard, take a look in the housing you will see the screw once you angle the mirror in and up. good luck.
This plus using two plastic gift cards helped me get a lot of leverage to pry out the puddle light housing. As far as the vanity light under the visor, all you do is grab the edges and kind of pull towards one corner. It comes out with a bit of maneuverability and force. You can also use a flathead screwdriver to pry out, but I don't want to chance scratching the housing (that's just me being extra cautious)
Old 07-27-14, 11:05 AM
mrxthuan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YaMomma
There is a bit of a trick to it, you have to remove all of the clips which I'm sure you did. On the right there is a handle with a fake panel. Remove the fake panel and there are two screws that need to come out. On the left the glow in the dark trunk release lever comes apart in two pieces.

If you look closely there are two small rectangles, stick a small screw driver in there to release the clips so that the top and bottom part separate. The glow in the dark handle DOES NOT come out only remove the top part.

This is what my trunk looked like after I added dynamat. Look closely at the green glow in the dark handle to understand how it comes apart.

I hope this makes since, if not let me know and I'll take a few more pictures. I have an extra set of LED that I was thinking about using for my reverse lights. I can take pictures of the removal process when I switch them out if needed.
can't seem to take it out, i have a problem passing where the handle is to pull down the trunk. if you decide to switch out your bulbs, can you take pics of the process?
Old 07-28-14, 10:39 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

can't seem to take it out, i have a problem passing where the handle is to pull down the trunk. if you decide to switch out your bulbs, can you take pics of the process?
... That's because you don't need to take everything off to change the reverse lights
Old 07-29-14, 12:31 AM
mrxthuan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mistahoo
... That's because you don't need to take everything off to change the reverse lights
thanks! i got to it now. just realized that. do you guys by chance know how to change the lights in the make up mirror thing?
Old 07-29-14, 03:42 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

thanks! i got to it now. just realized that. do you guys by chance know how to change the lights in the make up mirror thing?
This plus using two plastic gift cards helped me get a lot of leverage to pry out the puddle light housing. As far as the vanity light under the visor, all you do is grab the edges and kind of pull towards one corner. It comes out with a bit of maneuverability and force. You can also use a flathead screwdriver to pry out, but I don't want to chance scratching the housing (that's just me being extra cautious)
I posted it earlier. I guess you didn't see it.
Old 07-30-14, 05:41 PM
mrxthuan
Driver School Candidate

I posted it earlier. I guess you didn't see it.
thanks, got it to work!
Old 07-30-14, 06:20 PM
Jamil
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I have a 2010 GS.

The reverse lights look amazing, I wasnt going to do it by now I will.

Where do I get the lights from?

I live in Canada, I know most of you are in the US.

Thanks

J.
Old 07-31-14, 09:33 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

I got mine on ebay. They're insanely bright for reverse lights. Unfortunately they only ship inside the US, but I'm sure you could find one just like it.
Old 08-03-14, 10:40 AM
3rmac805
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jubay
Changing the reverse lights was pretty easy,it took me less then 5mins,I would like to change out my outside mirror lights & the visor lights,does anyone know how to do this?
What kinda LEDS did you get? Did you put a in line resistor?
Sorry kinda thread jack!

Quick Reply: 2006 GS 300 reverse light question