GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Exhaust system for my 3gs

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 08:59 PM
gs350trev
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust system for my 3gs

Hey guys,

Im new on here just want some ideas on a system to put on my car.... Im looking at a hks system or a invidia system. Which sound aggressive and not like a rice burner lol thx
Old 07-15-14, 10:47 PM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the tanabe exhaust on my car. nice deep rumble. search youtube and you'll find some sound clips.
although i have a 460=)
Old 07-16-14, 02:05 AM
Mistahoo
Driver

Tons of people on this forum will tell you that they run invidia midpipe and tanabe medallion. I haven't put an exhaust on my car yet, but after listening to endless clips of several different setups, I've decided that when I'm ready I'm going with an Invidia midpipe and HKS. I just like the deeper aggressive growl it gives. Both options are really nice, but I see why a lot go with the tanabe setup. Another nice but underrated axleback is the Blitz Nur Spec DT.

Last edited by Mistahoo; 07-19-14 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 05:53 AM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

IMO I wouldn't mess with the mid-pipe on the v6 only get an axel back. The drone you will get after changing the mid-pipe will get on your nerves if you do any amount of highway driving. If you want a deeper sound go with a axel back or just have the mufflers cut out and replaced with magnaflow mufflers. Either of those routs will give you the deep sound you are looking for without a crazy amount of drone.
Old 07-16-14, 07:14 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

I have the invidia midpipe and there is absolutely zero drone. It's hardly even noticeable that anything is different from inside the cabin. If I roll the windows down and stomp on it I can tell it sounds different. Other than that it's as silent as stock.
Old 07-16-14, 08:40 AM
Soltez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YaMomma
IMO I wouldn't mess with the mid-pipe on the v6 only get an axel back. The drone you will get after changing the mid-pipe will get on your nerves if you do any amount of highway driving. If you want a deeper sound go with a axel back or just have the mufflers cut out and replaced with magnaflow mufflers. Either of those routs will give you the deep sound you are looking for without a crazy amount of drone.
I have an Invidia midpipe with Tanabe mufflers there is no drone on the highway try driving a straight piped viper on the highway
Old 07-16-14, 07:33 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmexus
I have the invidia midpipe and there is absolutely zero drone. It's hardly even noticeable that anything is different from inside the cabin. If I roll the windows down and stomp on it I can tell it sounds different. Other than that it's as silent as stock.
If your axel back is stock then I doubt there would be any drone.

Originally Posted by Soltez
I have an Invidia midpipe with Tanabe mufflers there is no drone on the highway try driving a straight piped viper on the highway
Do you have a v6 or v8? The v8 doesn't seem to have a drone issue due to running at a lower RPM on the express way.

Either way I'm going off of what multiple v6 owners stated with a mid pipe and axle back exhaust. My situation is a bit different because I gutted my stock exhaust and replaced it with an x-pipe, high flow resonators, and magnaflow mufflers. I did a lot of research after switching my exhaust because its over 3 grand to put the stock exhaust back in. I was going to buy a midpipe and axel back exhaust but read to many post of people talking about a drone with that setup.

This discussions has been made multiple times, do a search and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 07-16-14, 08:10 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YaMomma
IMO I wouldn't mess with the mid-pipe on the v6 only get an axel back. The drone you will get after changing the mid-pipe will get on your nerves if you do any amount of highway driving.
I thought you were talking about a midpipe alone. The midpipe alone hardly made a difference at all on my v6 with stock axleback. I've avoided getting an axleback because Im worried I wont like it.

It looks like the other poster also has a v6 with a midpipe+axleback and no drone so I'm not sure.
Old 07-17-14, 08:22 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a custom exhaust off a IS 350 and I love has a nice stock g35 growl with no drone.
Old 07-18-14, 10:32 AM
gs350trev
Rookie

Thanks guy's I was looking at the hks system but didnt know about it.... what would it cost to do invidia mid and hks axleback????
Old 07-18-14, 05:16 PM
GS357
Driver School Candidate

I listened to different sound clips and went with HKS. I'm cool with no mid pipe....sounds deep/loud enough.
Old 07-18-14, 11:00 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Invidia mid pipe will not fit a V8 directly, the flanges that connect to the headers need to be modified, and O2 sensors relocated. Just so you know.
Old 07-19-14, 02:46 PM
gs350trev
Rookie

Default Megan exhaust

I like the look of the burnt tip look that megan racing has... I saw a clip on youtube of someone that had it on there gs350 and it sounds nice... whats your thoughts on this exhaust.. If i go with the megan axle back im gonna do invidia mid pipes or should i just do the full megan exhaust????
Old 07-19-14, 08:35 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

TBH I like the HKS much better than the megan racing, but to each their own.
Old 07-21-14, 12:16 PM
Kingidris
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered the Megan Racing axle back exhaust so hopefully theres no drone. I have a GS350

Quick Reply: Exhaust system for my 3gs