GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

'07-'09 GS450h wheels bending issue, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 06:43 AM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '07-'09 GS450h wheels bending issue, HELP!!

Hi all:

It's sort of a long post, but i really need your help to solve this strange issue.

I recently acquired a 2011 GS450h and replaced the wheels with an OEM set from the '07-'09 GS450h (same size, just different design), as i like the style better. But i'm having problems and would like your input.

For reference, here are the stock wheels from the '10-'11 GS450h:

And here are the stock wheels from the '07-'09 GS450h that i just installed:

Right after installation by my Lexus dealer, there were no issues... But about 3 days later, the car started to vibrate whenever i drove between 75-85mph, getting progressively worse day by day. After a week, I took the car back to Lexus as i assumed they had mis-balanced the wheels.

However, while i was waiting, one of the techs came out and advised me that two of the wheels were bent (one severely and one only minor), and that the severely bent wheel what was causing the vibration. He advised me that i'd need to replaced one of the wheels. In the meantime, he re-balanced all four wheels and put the two bent wheels in the rear.

He told me that he was able to balance the two "good" wheels in the front to a road force of 13, and the two bent wheels in the rear to a force of 19 (maybe you know what this means?). He said that anything below 20 is "acceptable" but that even a bent wheel can "balance". On the drive home, i didn't notice a single vibration despite the rear wheels being bent.

However, within a few days, the vibration returned, becoming just as bad as it was originally. When the new replacement wheel arrived (about a week later), i took it back to Lexus and asked that they remove the "severely" bent wheel and replace it with the new one i purchased. Here's where it gets interesting... At my last visit, the tech moved the "severely" bent wheel to the right rear, but as he re-evaluated all four wheels, he discovered that the front-left wheel was now more bent than the one that was most-bent originally! I now had the original two bent wheels in the rear, and another bent wheel in the front (that was previously fine). He replaced the front-left bent wheel with the new one, being able to balance the new (straight) wheel to a force of 12.

But the swapping of this wheel did not help; the vibration is still present. Better, but still not acceptable. Below 75mph there is NO vibration, but once i go over 75mph, it begins to vibrate (mostly in my butt and less in the steering wheel) until i pass through 85mph, when the vibration ceases. There is no vibration between 85mph and 131mph (don't worry, i did this testing safely at night with no other cars on the road).

I can't figure it out. Apparently--in the span of two weeks--i'm been doing something to cause these wheels to become bent. I haven't hit any "deep" potholes or anything like that (only minor ones, the type that an LS would naturally dampen out) and i haven't hit any curbs. Previously to swapping the '11 wheels for these '07-'09 wheels, i had been traveling the same amount and taken the same routes, and i never bent those wheels.

Now to answer the question you're all wondering... are the '07-'09 wheels i purchased stock OEM? Well, yes... kind of. I ordered them from a very reputable company in CA that chromes factory wheels, and that's what they did for me. They took a pair of OEM wheels, stripped the paint, and chromed them. I verified that the wheels are (well, were) 100% OEM via the indicator markings and the infamous "M" symbol on the front face of the wheels. As to whether or not the wheels were "new" before chroming i do not know, but they did arrive to me straight, as they did not vibrate at first. I'm 99% sure that i have been inadvertently causing them to bend, i just don't know how, or why.

Any ideas? Is there something inherently wrong with the '07-'09 style GS450h wheels that would cause them to become bent more easily? Can the chroming process cause the wheels to become more easily "bendable"? And can the smallest of defects in the road cause these wheels to bend? This is my first vehicle with low profile tires (i had an SUV prior) but i have tried to be careful. I am using the same tires that i had before the swap, relatively new (6,000miles of use) Dunlops with runflat... they're what came with the car.

Thanks in advance for all your input!
Old 06-17-14, 07:50 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Well first as many may say it could have been the tires causing this. if the wheels were bent you didn't need to replace them you could have gotten them straightened, in MA I'm guessing on profile you could have taken them to Rim & Wheel works. What dealer are you going to if you don't mind me asking.
Old 06-17-14, 08:35 AM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Well first as many may say it could have been the tires causing this. if the wheels were bent you didn't need to replace them you could have gotten them straightened, in MA I'm guessing on profile you could have taken them to Rim & Wheel works. What dealer are you going to if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks for the reply!

I live in North Attleboro, and i go to Lexus of Warwick (my closest dealer). I didn't know bent wheels could be fixed. Do you know if Rim & Wheel Works does this?
Old 06-17-14, 09:55 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by andynoel78
Thanks for the reply!

I live in North Attleboro, and i go to Lexus of Warwick (my closest dealer). I didn't know bent wheels could be fixed. Do you know if Rim & Wheel Works does this?
Yes as I had my 2Gen GS done there. Your also close to Herb Chambers Lexus in Sharon I think this would be closer than the one you are going to. I would take it there and see if they can help you. They can also let you know if they are truly OEM or not. I'm just saying try a different dealer to see if the outcome is the same.
Old 06-17-14, 11:32 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Only reason I can think of why the wheels bend easily is because they were damaged previously and probably not repaired properly, so now they are really weak on the spot they were previously damaged. Might be best to replace those two wheels that bend easily and make sure they are brand new.
Old 06-18-14, 08:58 AM
Majek
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same 07 GS450h OEM wheels on mine and they have never bent, despite driving in potholes.
Old 06-18-14, 09:10 AM
sjt0017
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy,

I never had any issues with OEM wheels of any kind, with any of my vehicles. I had bigger wheels on my Cayenne living in NJ too, and also had 22" reps on it that never bent. I have to assume these are somehow not OEM wheels, or maybe you have an issue with your wheel studs, lug nuts, or something could be getting extremely hot that typically shouldn't.

If these are indeed not OEM, I have a set of '09 OEM GS450h wheels that are black chrome with chrome middle spokes that I'd send to you for pretty cheap. (One wheel has some curb rash and would need refinished (Not repaired!)
Old 06-19-14, 05:28 AM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Yes as I had my 2Gen GS done there. Your also close to Herb Chambers Lexus in Sharon I think this would be closer than the one you are going to. I would take it there and see if they can help you. They can also let you know if they are truly OEM or not. I'm just saying try a different dealer to see if the outcome is the same.
Evidently Rim & Wheel Works (in Waltham) has closed down, do you know of any other shops in our area that will straighten wheels? I found a few companies on the west coast via a google search, but nothing locally. And that's a good idea, getting a second opinion might be helpful... but i can't keep going to Lexus; their hourly rate is ridiculous!

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Only reason I can think of why the wheels bend easily is because they were damaged previously and probably not repaired properly, so now they are really weak on the spot they were previously damaged. Might be best to replace those two wheels that bend easily and make sure they are brand new.
Very good possibility. I wish there was a way for me to determine if these had been repaired (from curb rash, etc) previously to being chromed.

Originally Posted by Majek
I have the same 07 GS450h OEM wheels on mine and they have never bent, despite driving in potholes.
Damn, i was hoping this was a common problem with these wheels; it'd make me feel better!

Originally Posted by sjt0017
Andy,

I never had any issues with OEM wheels of any kind, with any of my vehicles. I had bigger wheels on my Cayenne living in NJ too, and also had 22" reps on it that never bent. I have to assume these are somehow not OEM wheels, or maybe you have an issue with your wheel studs, lug nuts, or something could be getting extremely hot that typically shouldn't.

If these are indeed not OEM, I have a set of '09 OEM GS450h wheels that are black chrome with chrome middle spokes that I'd send to you for pretty cheap. (One wheel has some curb rash and would need refinished (Not repaired!)
Thanks for the input and offer! I don't think the black chrome would work for me though, i've wanted the look of the regular chrome for a while. And you could be onto something with the concept of heat causing this problem. I'm noticing that the vibrations at cruise vary depending on the outside ambient temperature. If the car's been sitting out in the sun, the vibrations seem a bit worse compared to when it's a bit cooler outside.

Also, i checked my tire pressure. All four tires were at ~36-37psi which i thought was a bit high, no? I lowered the pressure in all four tires to 32psi (thinking this would help dampen the vibrations on the highway) but the vibrations are 100% as bad as with 36psi. Only now, the ride feels spongy and the body roll is irritating. What pressure should i fill the tires at to keep the vibrations to a minimum?

Thanks all for the continued help!
Old 06-19-14, 06:36 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by andynoel78
Evidently Rim & Wheel Works (in Waltham) has closed down, do you know of any other shops in our area that will straighten wheels? I found a few companies on the west coast via a google search, but nothing locally. And that's a good idea, getting a second opinion might be helpful... but i can't keep going to Lexus; their hourly rate is ridiculous!
Wow, yeah I havent been to them in three years. You can try calling Herb Chambers ask to speak to Pat Rucker see if he can help you out. I believe they straighten wheels with an outside company. Like others have said it could be that the wheels really aren't OEM but I still find it odd. PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 06-19-14, 09:17 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Look for a large wheel shop, preferable a place that sells huge chrome wheels. Like a car customization shop. Because a lot of those huge chrome wheel guys with the 30+ rims, they bend easier and they use them a lot.

I repaired one of my wheels $65

Make sure to have them spin them before and after the repair, so you can see whats bent and too make sure the wheel is true.
Old 06-19-14, 09:45 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

increasing or decreasing PSI will have no effect on vibration. purchase OEM wheels that have never been repaired or refinished.