GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Guys with over spec tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 06:40 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Guys with over spec tires

After tons of research on the forum, I have to ask….

My first set of 20" wheels (convaco cw-s5) were not the best (cracked two fronts and had to replace a rear due to cracked barrel) and I had 245/30 and 285/25 Vredestein tires and for a DD the tires were a little too aggressive for me (dropped on NF210). I've since sold those wheels and tires and placed a pre-order for Vossen VF/S-1(hell yeah! in Satin Bronze too…c'mon August!!) 20x9 +32 20x10.5 +45. I'm considering going with some more 'meat' with Nitto NT555 245/35 and 285/30 which would put me about 4% over stock size and the tires would be very close in rolling diameter. I really want to protect the wheels from any damage, as I drive a lot. I've spent countless hours on 1010tires.com reviewing specs and fit and I think this is where I'm going to land.

All this being said, to those of you running over spec tires with similar wheel size and offset, what other mods have you had to endure (rolling/shaving), how is the ride versus the recommended tire size on 20" wheels, and have you had any issues with your wheels being damaged with current or previous tire set ups?
Old 06-07-14, 01:44 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The Vossen VF wheel is a great choice and congrats on the pre order.

We are a original authorized dealer for Vossen and those VF wheels are freaking badass once you get to see them in person.

Now for your questions about the fitment.

SInce you are lowered and looking to run a 285 I would recommend you to roll the rear for additional clearance.

typically I would use a 285/25 for the rear or if you a 275/30

but seeing you desire a full size wheel and would like to run a 285/30 fender rolling is what I would recommend to help you with clearance.
Old 06-08-14, 07:20 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

I'm not completely opposed the the 275/30, it just doesn't have a good counterpart for a front tire. I know expecting to get good treadwear out of offset wheels isn't very reasonable, but if you get close to the same rolling diameter it helps. I had about 7k miles on the vredesteins when I sold them with my old wheels and they were still at 8/32 on all four corners (285/24 245/30). Different rolling diameters decrease longevity.

I'm sure there are so many setups, especially if one uses a stretch, but quite honestly, I don't really know much about stretched tire fitment, safety, and longevity.

I'll probably shave the rear and roll the front, I'm looking at BC coilovers and that should help me with the necessary adjustment to fit the overspec tires as well. I just don't want to end up with cracked / bent wheels again that cost me another $1000 to get repaired or replaced.

I haven't found hardly any posts about Vossens having issues, and it seems as though their customer service is top notch, so maybe I shouldn't stress so much. I just want to protect my investment!

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-08-14, 11:11 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not good to have over than 3% over OEM spec. There's always 225/35/20 and 235/35/20 which either gives more meat than that 245/30 and keep you in spec. But if your #1 concern is protecting the wheels then maybe those overspec sizes are priority. If it was me, I would try 235/35/20 and 275/30 which are extremely close to each other as far as rolling diameter goes.
Old 06-09-14, 02:44 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i wouldnt go 245/35 especially if your lowered. almost guaranteed to rub on full turns. nothing major, just rubbing on the wheel liner but enough to be an annoyance for me.
Old 06-09-14, 11:56 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zax3gs
I'm not completely opposed the the 275/30, it just doesn't have a good counterpart for a front tire. I know expecting to get good treadwear out of offset wheels isn't very reasonable, but if you get close to the same rolling diameter it helps. I had about 7k miles on the vredesteins when I sold them with my old wheels and they were still at 8/32 on all four corners (285/24 245/30). Different rolling diameters decrease longevity.

I'm sure there are so many setups, especially if one uses a stretch, but quite honestly, I don't really know much about stretched tire fitment, safety, and longevity.

I'll probably shave the rear and roll the front, I'm looking at BC coilovers and that should help me with the necessary adjustment to fit the overspec tires as well. I just don't want to end up with cracked / bent wheels again that cost me another $1000 to get repaired or replaced.

I haven't found hardly any posts about Vossens having issues, and it seems as though their customer service is top notch, so maybe I shouldn't stress so much. I just want to protect my investment!

Thanks for the help!
Vossen is a great wheel line and being one of their original authorized dealers in the States I can really say that. We have been working with them since 2006 and not once have they disappointed me or my team or any of our clients, and have been the fastest at getting me replacement wheels due to any unforeseen issue.

But once again going with a over sized tire like that can cause issues.

if you are really want the additional beef on the tire and want

245/30/20
275/30/20

I have done this setup on multiple GS models stock and lowered and it works great and helps with the California roads here.
Old 06-13-14, 04:46 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Not going too crazy putting this out there but thought this thread would be cool.
Anyone seeking SMOKING deals on wheels and tires from a reputable major company should shoot me a PM. I have a very good friend there who has taken care of MANY members and left them shocked at the amount of money they normally save going thru him! Just saying.
Old 06-16-14, 05:19 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

People are more then welcome to do that ^^

People are also welcome to shoot me a PM and see what we can do.

Saving money is important cant deny that.

But knowledge and experience is also important

12 years in the industry
perfect Ebay rating
and on over 11 forums

We are here to help out with as much knowledge we can pass on to people

Plus we are a reputable Forum Sponsor
Old 06-17-14, 07:33 AM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned 3 sets of Vossen Wheels and I have never had any issues with them cracking. I have 245/30 front 295/25 rear and try to avoid potholes but I have hit some and still no cracks. I agree with the Need4Speed on that tire ratio if you want to be cautious.
Old 06-17-14, 02:14 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im running 245/35/20 upfront and 275/30/20 in the rear theres are pretty much close to the same diameter here in new york though it doesnt matter how much meat you have on the tires you will eventually crack a rim or two, wit that said ive had minor cracks on my front vossen cv1s
Old 06-17-14, 07:36 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

It really depends on the following

tire sizing
the object you hit
and the speed you hit it with.

You can break anything nothing is indestrcutable remember that

all it takes is the right angle and speed of impact.

That being said Vossen does have one of the best warranties out there and they take care of their customers.

We have a client in Hong Kong who damaged a wheel straight into a pothole this size of IDK what and cracked the wheel. ( keep in mind he was driving like a bat out of hell)

He cracked the wheel and Vossen warrantied it and we got a new wheel shipped out to him within 2 days of his claim.
Old 06-17-14, 10:29 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

That's comforting to hear. Vossen recommends 245/30 and 285/20 so if I'm running those sizes and crack / bend a wheel it seems like pretty good odds they will replace them. I'm getting air suspension soon as well so the overspec tires are pretty much out at this point. Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-18-14, 04:08 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Talking Fyi

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
People are more then welcome to do that ^^

People are also welcome to shoot me a PM and see what we can do.

Saving money is important cant deny that.

But knowledge and experience is also important

12 years in the industry
perfect Ebay rating
and on over 11 forums

We are here to help out with as much knowledge we can pass on to people

Plus we are a reputable Forum Sponsor

Sorry, I was not trying to sound indignant or come off as a vendor because I certainly am NOT. I am just a regular member with some very good friends in the business and since i use them with awesome success all I was doing was passing this on, and not doing it in the open to offend vendors like yourself here.

Sincere apologies if anyone thinks I am trying to sway any member away from the vendors on this forum. I assure you that is not my case and Im just passing good info about a major wheel and tire distributor onto the members who choose to PM me.

Best regards,

Gunny
Old 06-18-14, 11:12 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Sorry, I was not trying to sound indignant or come off as a vendor because I certainly am NOT. I am just a regular member with some very good friends in the business and since i use them with awesome success all I was doing was passing this on, and not doing it in the open to offend vendors like yourself here.

Sincere apologies if anyone thinks I am trying to sway any member away from the vendors on this forum. I assure you that is not my case and Im just passing good info about a major wheel and tire distributor onto the members who choose to PM me.

Best regards,

Gunny
Thank you for clarifying that.

It is always good to have people like that just as we have been working hard to help out people as well.

Originally Posted by zax3gs
That's comforting to hear. Vossen recommends 245/30 and 285/20 so if I'm running those sizes and crack / bend a wheel it seems like pretty good odds they will replace them. I'm getting air suspension soon as well so the overspec tires are pretty much out at this point. Thanks for all your help!

your welcome.

its going to look sick !!!
Old 06-18-14, 11:39 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Many thanks Need4!

Quick Reply: Guys with over spec tires