GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DIY 2006 Lexus GS300 Alternator HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-14, 10:05 PM
tthomas543
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY 2006 Lexus GS300 Alternator HELP!

Hello,

I am having trouble removing the alternator from a 2006 Lexus GS 300. I've attached some pics for the bolts I have already removed. For anyone that has done this.. What am I missing?

I also removed the battery bolt (not pictured)
Old 05-25-14, 10:08 PM
tthomas543
Rookie

I tried looking at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8342507-post42.html but am still
Old 05-25-14, 10:38 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have to remove 4 bolts from a/c compressor move it to the side and there a bolts in the back of the alternator with a braket with a 12mm you have to remove
Old 05-26-14, 04:15 PM
tthomas543
Rookie

Thanks for the help! It was a bracket behind the alternator! Very tight spot to get to but is doable.
Old 01-28-16, 06:45 AM
arthy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys
How long did this take you? (Changing the alternator)
My Garage said it took them 5hours just to take it out!
Also, what went wrong with your alternator? Did it smoke?
Old 01-28-16, 10:20 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i did the 07 in an hour. Did not remove compressor. Just wiggled it through upper radiator hose area
Old 08-16-16, 05:12 PM
awol949
Driver School Candidate

Default Removed all bolts mentioned but no give

Hey guys, went through the trouble of removing all mentioned bolts the 2 main ones in front, the one that connects to the battery and the 12mm bracket nut that bolts into the engine block (I believe) I tried wiggling it left and right and it still won't budge, what gives
Old 08-18-16, 12:18 PM
GoBp
Driver School Candidate

I tried this job last year and failed. Screwed up so bad I disconnect the discharge line to my a/c. It does make a difference for rwd or awd
Old 08-22-16, 07:10 AM
awol949
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed

Originally Posted by awol949
Hey guys, went through the trouble of removing all mentioned bolts the 2 main ones in front, the one that connects to the battery and the 12mm bracket nut that bolts into the engine block (I believe) I tried wiggling it left and right and it still won't budge, what gives
Ok fixed it, I had to push the alternator downward then out towards the front of the car, I was then able to wiggle it through the top. Reinstalled the new one in less than 15 mins.
Old 08-22-16, 07:11 AM
awol949
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoBp
I tried this job last year and failed. Screwed up so bad I disconnect the discharge line to my a/c. It does make a difference for rwd or awd
Mine was rwd
Old 11-08-16, 05:41 AM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Apparently you MUST remove the AC compressor on the AWD... Wish I wouldn't have even tried this PITA job. W-O-W!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-18, 12:52 AM
2006GSinTX
Driver School Candidate

Changing the alternator on a 2006 Lexus GS300 RWD.
1) Remove the plastic covers from the left side, front and over the engine under the hood.
2) Disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Good time to clean the terminals of the battery also.
3) Remove the serpentine belt. Might want to replace this now also.
4) Remove the plastic cable holder from the stud sticking off the top front mounting ear.
5) Remove the main cable to the alternator using a 10mm socket and some extensions and a universal joint. Some electrical tape around the u join will keep it from flopping to much. Especially help full when trying to put this nut back on.
6) Disconnect the ground wire that goes from the engine to the engine bay wall at the bay wall using 10mm socket and a u
7) Remove the wiring harness from the alternator. It is a really tight fit but you will need to push the top of the connector from the back of the car towards the front to disengage the tab.
8) Pop the wire connector that holds the cables running down on the side of the alternator so you will be able to slide it out
of the way.
9) Remove the two 10mm bolts that hold on the antifreeze reservoir, lift it up and set it to the left of the main radiator hose.
10) Remove the top bolt using a 14mm socket from alternator.
11) Loosen the bottom bolt so you can turn it by hand but DO NOT REMOVE IT. I learned this lesson the hard way. The alternator jammed up against the air conditioner line coming out of the top of the compressor and took along time to get the bottom hole aligned so I could free the alternator.
12) There is a pain in the *** nut (PIAN) on a bracket which sticks off the back of the alternator. It is connected to a stud on the engine block. There are two studs there. The top stud connects the exhaust manifold to the engine. The one below it is the PIAN. I used a 12mm deep socket and a 3" extension to get at it. You may want to put a piece of electrical tape in the end of the socket to hold the PIAN in the socket so you can pull it off and not have to search for the nut.
13) Free the top of the alternator from top mount by pushing it down until the ears clear the mount.
14) Remove the bottom bolt.
15) Pull the alternator towards the left side of the car to clear the back stud. Wiggle and twist it forward towards the radiator. Pull it up by the pulley and out of the car.
16) Remove the bracket which the PIAN attaches and put it on the new alternator.
17) Remove the side bracket from the old alternator and put it on the new one.
18) Install the new alternator by reversing the procedure.

NOTES:
A piece or 2 of electrical tape in the socket will hold the nuts in the sock so you can screw them in.
A piece of electrical tape around the universal joint socket will stiffen it up the u joint when trying to reinstall a nut.
When you are done check the system and make sure it is putting out enough to charge your battery.
Old 06-29-20, 12:55 PM
Elroyce
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by awol949
Ok fixed it, I had to push the alternator downward then out towards the front of the car, I was then able to wiggle it through the top. Reinstalled the new one in less than 15 mins.
Down by the engine block, on the alternator side. There is a small black wire connector about the width of a pencil. Where does it connect? I can not find it for the life of me.
Old 06-29-20, 06:10 PM
2006GSinTX
Driver School Candidate

Default Wire

Originally Posted by Elroyce
Down by the engine block, on the alternator side. There is a small black wire connector about the width of a pencil. Where does it connect? I can not find it for the life of me.
Elroyce,
It is either the alternator cable or the engime ground wire. The alternator cable attaches to stud on the back of alternator. The engine ground strap attaches to the engine wall using a 10mm socket. Steps 6 and 7 in my previous post. That alternator is a pain in the a$$ to get change. I feel your pain.
Old 06-29-20, 06:22 PM
Elroyce
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2006GSinTX
Elroyce,
It is either the alternator cable or the engime ground wire. The alternator cable attaches to stud on the back of alternator. The engine ground strap attaches to the engine wall using a 10mm socket. Steps 6 and 7 in my previous post. That alternator is a pain in the a$$ to get change. I feel your pain.

This is the Connector. It plugs in somewhere. It has a press release on the side like The other connections. Def doesn’t bolt into the block for a ground and it’s too small for the alternator.

Quick Reply: DIY 2006 Lexus GS300 Alternator HELP!