GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Disabled Vet Seeking Rotor Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 01:22 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Lightbulb Disabled Vet Seeking Rotor Advice

Greetings Members

I titled the thread as I did because I know that the best way to seek info on forums comes from doing a "search" and going thru all of the related threads on it. However, I have Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and severe PTSD (among many other medical issues) all sustained from a IED blast in Iraq, and spending much time looking at a computer tends to put strain on my eyes thus resulting in BRUTAL migraines!

Therefore, I ask your assistance on this matter to help me decide on a high quality set of front rotors for my wife's GS350 (AWD). I have been told to just keep em stock and find them around $115-$160 in price -which I have seen some online stores selling both rotors AND ceramic pads for not much more than this. So do I jump on some slotted or other performance type kits even though she is not tracking the car or even beating on it hard at all, thats my job when i can drive!

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and please attach any links to anything you think I should look at for this? I am very thankful to anyone who chooses to help me out here folks, it means the world to me.

FYI- I am even attaching a link of my own for those who may want to read a little article about me and my other previous hobby that unfortunately I cannot do like before the "incident" since it requires a lot of mental application. Not looking for ANY typical "Thank you's" or anything other than showing you all something about myself.
Click link and scroll virtual magazine to pages 42-44 for article:

http://digitaleditions.walsworthprin...tion/?i=196078

THANKS AGAIN ALL !!!
Old 05-12-14, 10:26 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just replace them with OE ones and move on.
Old 05-12-14, 11:00 AM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with BinaryJay. No need to go slotted. Thanks for your service.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/6857.html
Old 05-17-14, 01:26 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thumbs up Ok Cool

Originally Posted by benztolex
I agree with BinaryJay. No need to go slotted. Thanks for your service.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/6857.html
First off, many thanks for your kind words- means a lot to me!

After reading much into rotors and all the types I am in agreement with you guys and will be going w stock rotors and the best pads I can find. Many thanks!

Gunny Out…………….
Old 05-17-14, 08:03 PM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 ro the stock OEM...or equivalent quality rotors are probably among the best you can get.

Drilled rotors compromise rotor integrity (can warp/crack over time) in favor of having holes that maintain braking force during prolonged brake application (built up gas that normally pushes up on the brakepad is compressed into the holes so pad maintains contact)

Slotted rotors have very strong bite, but that is done by it literally slicing your brake pads. Pads will last you an oil change duration. Unless you are racing a track, there is no reason for these whatsoever.
Old 05-19-14, 09:52 AM
ksan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on OEM here also. But I got my brake parts on rockauto.com which was the cheapest I found them for. Very great pricing! (about whole sale pricing). Only sucky part is that on rock auto is you have to pay for shipping, but it doesn't matter when the quality is awesome and parts are basically almost below cost.

I got front rotors and pads, also hard ware kit about half the cost of going to the dealer or local auto part store. They also list different grades too, I suggest you to check them out.

-I got 2 centric brake rotors (which has the anti-rust black top hats) $40.99 a piece
-Power Stop ceramic pads for $22.89
-Hardware kit for $11.02

5% discount which is offer on retailmenot I googled, every came out about 200 bucks or less.

Last edited by ksan; 05-19-14 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-23-14, 07:29 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Ok Folks
This is what I am going with unless you throw up some red flags on these?

All four rotors are OEM style made by Raybestos top of line?
All pads are top of line ceramic Akenbono with new shims?

Am I good to go with these items or what?
Total cost of all of this was $361.00 since I get it all at employe cost.

Called Lexus for hell of it to price gear from them and nearly fell off my chair! Amazing how they ask $180 PER ROTOR and over $80 per set of pads! Sure Id go with this stuff if they made it SOMEWHAT affordable for the customer but this is just crazy! I must admit that I got 80k miles off the initial stuff on there now (less one set of pads up front) and the rotors are not big enough to turn em and get another few thousand miles off which screams replacement. The back are the ones with problem but figured may as well do em all while Im at it and have a friend willing to do it for / with me instead of getting raped by Lexus on labor too!

So what say everyone on this?
Are Centric rotors any better than Raybestos btw?

Thanks much!

Gunny
Old 05-24-14, 04:28 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Mounted up the OEM rotors today and Raybestos pads which was a breeze. Was surprised the front didn't need changing too but at least have all the stuff on hand for when I do.
Old 06-25-14, 04:42 AM
Jontran8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm planning on ordering the Raybestos Rotors and Akenbono pads. Why did you go with Raybestos instead of Akenbono pads?

Also, for pads, a pair is for one wheel or left/right?