GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 Gs300 kicks on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 08:55 PM
Almogback
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Gs300 kicks on acceleration

First time posting on here...
My 2006 lexus gs 300 has this annoying issue where if i would accelerate with light throttle from a complete stop, the car would kick and sort of shake.. This happens the most and basically every time when i would slow down at a stop sign with using the brakes, then let go of the brakes and accelerate again, the car would feel like it has some sort of throttle delay and then you feel a heavy push/kick like the wheels are confused..
This is really irritating and id do anything to just solve this issue.
Please help, thanks !
Old 04-29-14, 09:23 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Have you checked your tranny fluid level? How's reverse?
Old 04-29-14, 09:24 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Also, these guys will feel your pain more specifically than the general car chat crew... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eneration-153/
Old 04-29-14, 11:53 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

To me that sounds like the normal operation of a torque converter auto.. If you accelerate from a slight crawl that is.
Old 04-30-14, 06:53 AM
Almogback
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harbinger
Have you checked your tranny fluid level? How's reverse?
No, i haven't checked the fluid, didnt think about that.. In order to check the fluid on the tranny you would need to go under the car correct? And other than the vibrations i feel on reverse, i haven't really paid attention if it kicks like it does in drive.
Thanks for responding
Old 04-30-14, 10:40 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the motor and/or transmission mounts are worn.
Old 04-30-14, 06:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

moved to correct forum. good luck.
Old 04-30-14, 08:06 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Thank you bitkahuna.

OP, how many miles, and have you done your transmission flush on the car yet?
Old 04-30-14, 08:21 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like carbon buildup to me.

But yes, moving very slowly let off gas, reapply... does make the car lurch when it doesn't quite know whether it should be in first or second.

Also you can't check the transmission fluid there is no way for anybody to look at it other than to drain it out, and no way to know if it is low for whatever reason. The only thing you can do is drain and refill.
Old 04-30-14, 09:25 PM
Almogback
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Thank you bitkahuna.

OP, how many miles, and have you done your transmission flush on the car yet?

No, i havent done transmission flush yet.. 26,000 miles on the car (that's why i wasn't thinking it would have anything to do with the transmission this early).. The mechanic told me its because the Electric Throttle Control or wHatever, but i think that's the most stupidest answer from a mechanic.
Btw, is it most recommendable to flush out the transmission and refill the transmission oil ONLY AT LEXUS dealership? Or doesn't matter?
Thanks
Old 04-30-14, 09:30 PM
Almogback
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Sounds like carbon buildup to me.

But yes, moving very slowly let off gas, reapply... does make the car lurch when it doesn't quite know whether it should be in first or second.

Also you can't check the transmission fluid there is no way for anybody to look at it other than to drain it out, and no way to know if it is low for whatever reason. The only thing you can do is drain and refill.
Hey, if it were carbon build up, wouldn't the check engine like come on? And it also lurches/kicks when you would slowly accelerate from a complete stop.
I really think it mainly has something to do with the throttle body or throttle plate or something, but the mechanic said these cars with electronic throttles are all like that and said to leave it alone because messing with it will cause other issues. Im still pretty sure theres a way to fix this, Its just really irritating driving with it, especially when you're cruising very slow down a street looking for parking..
Old 04-30-14, 11:47 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Do you have it on "pwr" setting? Try putting it in "snow" mode and see if that helps a little...

I know something's wrong, and it's most likely not carbon buildup and transmission issues @ 26k miles....

BTW, did you purchase this car second hand? That's extremely LOW mileage for a GS>
Old 05-01-14, 03:12 AM
ksan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny, this happens to my 07 gs350. but slightly... I think I might have to look into a tranny flush and fill myself..
Old 05-01-14, 05:20 AM
Almogback
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Do you have it on "pwr" setting? Try putting it in "snow" mode and see if that helps a little...

I know something's wrong, and it's most likely not carbon buildup and transmission issues @ 26k miles....

BTW, did you purchase this car second hand? That's extremely LOW mileage for a GS>
I've tried driving with it on PWR and it felt like it became worse since it made the throttle very responsive and on Snow made it was doing the same thing..
And yes, i bought the car about a month ago with 25k miles from a dealer, it was hard for me to believe that the miles were real as well, but the car is just really fresh exterior and interior... No signs of anything that can be old except this little issue lol.
There's always these old people
That keep their cars for many years and hardly drive them
Old 05-01-14, 05:22 AM
Almogback
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ksan
funny, this happens to my 07 gs350. but slightly... I think I might have to look into a tranny flush and fill myself..
I knew i wasn't the only one getting that! Lol.. It doesn't bother you?
You feel it when you would slow down at a stop sign and then accelerate again, right?
And let me know how it goes, good luck!

Quick Reply: 2006 Gs300 kicks on acceleration