GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

brakes squeal when cold

Old 07-16-21, 05:25 PM
Druu
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default brakes squeal when cold

08 gs350. everyday i leave for work and the 1st few stops my brakes squeal. But after that i guess they warmed up and dont squeal anymore. its kinda annoying as i park in a parking garage and its really loud. after the 1st stop sign the squeal is gone.
Old 07-17-21, 05:18 AM
CowBoE
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Usually this happens in the early morning's first drive, which is caused by the moisture build up overnight,
and the moisture sort of gets dried/wiped off when you drive and use the brake.

If you look through the rims, you may be able to see moisture build up.
Sometimes I even see little bit of surface rust marks as well.

For my son-in-law's 2009 Camry, this (loud screeching noise) only happens when he's reversing the car out of the garage in the morning.
When he parks backwards, and starts the drive going forward (no reverse), then the noise doesn't happen.
His new brake job was less than 6 months old, so it ain't brake going out.

Does this happen on reverse only in the morning?
Try to drive the car in mid day once temp has warmed up and see if noise doesn't happen.

Also, if it's making loud short clicking noise when you brake,
then the metal brackets that are shifting and will need greasing.
If it's long squeal for the duration of the braking,
then there is outside chance that, your rotor and/or pad may be unevenly worn out.
Look for scratch marks on rotor that you can feel with your fingers.
Also look for brake pad (on both sides of the rotor) thickness not being even.

Old 07-17-21, 02:00 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

If your brake pads are not toast then more likely its a buildup of dried debri/seized and not enough lube in the brake calipers. Common problem on our cars. Mine was super bad, even though my pads and rotors had a lot of life in them.

If the pads are good and the same for the rotors, this is what I did. instead of slapping parts and money, I simply removed all 4 calipers. Sanded the rotors by hand just to knock off the glazing on both sides. My pads were good but the contact surface was glazed so I grabbed an angle grinder with a sanding disc, and lightly sanded (while wearing a mask) the glaze off. The center pin, silencer scuff with fine sand paper to remove any rough surfaces. Fully clean inside the calipers and all around with brake cleaner.

Use a lot of grease, behind the pad, inside the caliper, the silencers, the rear caliper sliding pins, the floating pins etc. Anything that moves, give it a good amount of grease. This method worked for me for many years of silent braking.
Old 07-17-21, 10:29 PM
GS460V8
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
If your brake pads are not toast then more likely its a buildup of dried debri/seized and not enough lube in the brake calipers. Common problem on our cars. Mine was super bad, even though my pads and rotors had a lot of life in them.

If the pads are good and the same for the rotors, this is what I did. instead of slapping parts and money, I simply removed all 4 calipers. Sanded the rotors by hand just to knock off the glazing on both sides. My pads were good but the contact surface was glazed so I grabbed an angle grinder with a sanding disc, and lightly sanded (while wearing a mask) the glaze off. The center pin, silencer scuff with fine sand paper to remove any rough surfaces. Fully clean inside the calipers and all around with brake cleaner.

Use a lot of grease, behind the pad, inside the caliper, the silencers, the rear caliper sliding pins, the floating pins etc. Anything that moves, give it a good amount of grease. This method worked for me for many years of silent braking.
Nice, I suffer from the same thing forward or backward. OK when they warm up, but if parked up for more than an hour or two it happens, and really bad in the mornings. Pads are good, but it looks like I gotta get my brake servicing on
Old 07-18-21, 04:38 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by GS460V8
Nice, I suffer from the same thing forward or backward. OK when they warm up, but if parked up for more than an hour or two it happens, and really bad in the mornings. Pads are good, but it looks like I gotta get my brake servicing on
Like I mentioned clean the calipers very well and lube them like a madman. I had grease goozing from the pins. Just make sure to clean the rotors surface, and properly bed the pads.

Mine was so bad, sounded like a siren in reverse when cold. After doing what I mentioned I had silence for many years after that.
Old 07-19-21, 02:05 AM
Druu
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

its weird tho. it happens more frequently when i Back up and park vs just drive up and park. i back up park into a incline driveway and i back into my parking spot in the parking garage but when i dont back up and park it rarely squeals. pads and rotors are still good. looks i got some cleaning and greasing to do.
Old 07-19-21, 06:11 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

I have what you are describing now, and it's because it did not use enough graphite grease on the teflon shims last time I did the brakes.

Use more than you think you need, and they'll be silent until the pads are gone.