GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 350 Performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 09:23 PM
hhans03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 350 Performance questions

Hey guys,

Brand new lexus owner here. As of today actually. Ive got 2008 GS 350 AWD, and I've got a few questions on available upgrades. The only thing I can find online consistently is the k&n cold air intake. Other than that, there doesnt seem to be much out there in the way of performance. No lowering springs, or real suspension upgrades. I havent been able to find a full exhaust system, or any real ecu upgrade. I'm a honda shop foreman, and I've been around the car world for quite a while. Ive had dozens of civics, I've had an srt-4, an STi, and currently have a 2011 Tundra along with this lexus. So I guess what I'm asking for is a good place to start modding this car. Is the Cold air intake worth it on this vehicle? Any suggestions on Lexus performance sites? Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-14-14, 09:34 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

There is no modding of the ecu on this car. If you're looking for small bolt on performance parts, you bought the wrong car. They did. Pretty good job of squeezing 300+ horses out of a 3.5 and didn't leave much room for improving.

Lowering springs are available and exhausts are as well. The exhausts have to be slightly modified to fit the AWD models. I believe most people use the RWD lowering springs on their AWD models. Be aware of the AWD wobbles after lowering.
Old 04-14-14, 09:59 PM
hhans03
Driver School Candidate

thanks man. Any others?
Old 04-14-14, 11:53 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hhans03
thanks man. Any others?
Schmexus said it all.... all they make are coilovers, axle back exhaust, and a intake for AWD. There are no full exhaust that will bold on without modification. Axle back is all you need anyways unless you want droning inside of the car. If you drop it with springs or coilovers she will wobble and vibrate. However I've read if you drop her with RCA blocks she will not wobble and vibrate.

http://lexi-imports.blogspot.com/201...mm-for_24.htmI

I've been on the fence with dropping my AWD but IF I do I'm going with a 30MM RCA block for the front and BC coilovers. I won't get into why AWD vibrate because its been discussed many times but in theory the RCA blocks should keep the car from vibrating.

None of that will do anything performance wise because you can't tune the ECU. I put a cold air intake in my AWD GS and had a dual exhaust made with an X-Pipe and Magnaflow mufflers. It increased my MPG but made the car drone like no other. The intake seemed to increase my throttle response and before I added resonators I felt a little more power with the exhaust.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...kes-gs300.html

Post 14 will give you and idea of what my intake sounded like. I've since taken the cold air intake out and just use a K&N filter because I learned to appreciate the quite ride.

You purchased the wrong car and or year if you want to tune. Don't feel bad because I made the same mistake, I knew you could do a lot with the 2GS and thought the 3GS had options as well. But the car looks good, rides nice and before I messed with the exhaust it was one of the quietest cars I've owned.
Old 04-15-14, 06:18 AM
hhans03
Driver School Candidate

Any know if it would make sense to throw on an F sport exhaust with this set up? Or if most of the f sport stuff can be swapped over into this vehicle? It pretty much looks like turbo isnt a real option here either. I'm kinda disappointed now. Looks like I picked the wrong platform to start with! I'm going to have to consider what to do with it now....
Old 04-15-14, 06:37 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any know if it would make sense to throw on an F sport exhaust with this set up? Or if most of the f sport stuff can be swapped over into this vehicle? It pretty much looks like turbo isnt a real option here either. I'm kinda disappointed now. Looks like I picked the wrong platform to start with! I'm going to have to consider what to do with it now....
if your trying to boost I believe the only way to do so is to do a swap. seems like from the research ive done the oem ECU is unlockable and you cannot tap into it with a piggy back system.

2jz swap IMO but that leads to a lot of $$$$$

motor, tranny, mounts, ecu, converting to RWD(replacing the front suspension setup), wiring, tuning, converting to manual(if you aren't going to keep auto), etc.

a lot of work and money. but if you got it... go for it. I wouldn't say you picked a bad platform because I love my 3gs and im coming from a boosted ep, 240, FD, evo9.... just got pay to play you know =) But I would say its a bad platform if your trying to mod like a Honda.

Last edited by uberEJ; 04-15-14 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 06:50 AM
hhans03
Driver School Candidate

Ya, I hear ya man. I'm used to boost after the srt 4 and theSTi. I guess the world of bolt ons just doesnt exist for this one. Anyone know roughly what a 2jz set would run roughly? Do ya think I could get into it for around 10k? Or if it would make more sense to just buy a supra shell and go that way? Leave the 3g alone?
Old 04-15-14, 06:55 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Ya, I hear ya man. I'm used to boost after the srt 4 and theSTi. I guess the world of bolt ons just doesnt exist for this one. Anyone know roughly what a 2jz set would run roughly? Do ya think I could get into it for around 10k? Or if it would make more sense to just buy a supra shell and go that way? Leave the 3g alone?
well I mean If your doing it all on your own like building/welding mounts and wiring, you can get away with a setup under 10k... may be a little shy off it of course. But full built... no not a chance.

I don't like wheel to fender gaps, extremely quite exhaust, and no intake growl... I wouldn't say leave the 3g alone click the link below

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...ere%20you%20go
Old 04-15-14, 07:06 AM
hhans03
Driver School Candidate

ok cool! thanks. that car is sick as **** btw...
Old 04-15-14, 07:31 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

no problem man! yeah I want to do a VIP drift car in the future
Old 04-15-14, 08:30 AM
bluespidey
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uberEJ, im trying to find an intake for my 06GS300. Ive seen joez, k&n etc out there but im looking for rare ones (I know it might not exist) but im trying to see if anyone knows of company like blitz, apexi, tom's etc that may of made a few.

ps. anyone else can chime in too!
Old 04-15-14, 09:58 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bluespidey
uberEJ, im trying to find an intake for my 06GS300. Ive seen joez, k&n etc out there but im looking for rare ones (I know it might not exist) but im trying to see if anyone knows of company like blitz, apexi, tom's etc that may of made a few.

ps. anyone else can chime in too!
ahhhh, you got bit by that jdm bug...

there may be some parts out there that are rare from the companies u mentioned above but it would be hard to locate and price seeing as how some may be discountinued or asking an arm and a leg. I couldn't tell you where to get them but it may save you way more $$$ fabricating than looking for legit rare parts. can save you time as well.

I prefer to fab, buy replicas(this doesn't mean wheels.. legit wheels ftw LOL), or go oem on components such as sensors, calipers, all major mechanical parts. when it comes to body, if it looks good... rep it! most of the stuff I like to do though is buy a part and mod it to my liking.

I don't think I can help you located jdm/rare parts because im out of that market. however, if you get me the name of the part and if you can part number ill tell you where I can get it and cost.

I came to realize id rather be unique that have rare parts. even though the 3gs is farely simple lol
Old 04-15-14, 10:14 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

go f sport =)
Old 04-15-14, 11:59 AM
bluespidey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uberEJ
go f sport =)
haha I was thinking either HKS or SRT if I can find one for sale
Old 04-15-14, 01:45 PM
bluespidey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uberEJ
go f sport =)
you know anyone selling an F-sport intake?!?!

Quick Reply: GS 350 Performance questions