GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How heavy are the 20" Vossen CV3's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 01:37 PM
StayStanky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RYKR
I prefer function > form and I'm in the minority of not putting 19-20" wheels on my GS460 because I like the way it performs and want to maintain that way. Yes bigger wheels may look great at a stand still and be the norm for upgrading aesthetics, but from experience you can feel the additional rotating mass from slightly bigger heavier wheels and tires affecting the overall performance of the vehicle. To me that's taking away from what the vehicle was originally designed to do.

For me it was a relatively simple; do I want make my car to handle slightly worse for the sake of looking uber cool in a parking lot, or would I rather get some lighter wheels that improves the driving dynamics and overall experience?

All in all it's a matter of personal wheel size preference, new or used, type of style, whether it's cast or forged monoblock or forged 3-piece and how much you want to spend. Personally I rather go with HRE because they're a very reputable and proven brand and the wheels are TUV/JWL/VIA certified, so you know the wheels has been engineered and tested for safety and rigidity. Good luck on the search for new wheels, it can be a daunting task because there's much selection out there!

I'm sorry, are you my long lost brother or something?
Old 04-14-14, 04:14 AM
Rphilip
Rookie

Originally Posted by RYKR
I prefer function > form and I'm in the minority of not putting 19-20" wheels on my GS460 because I like the way it performs and want to maintain that way. Yes bigger wheels may look great at a stand still and be the norm for upgrading aesthetics, but from experience you can feel the additional rotating mass from slightly bigger heavier wheels and tires affecting the overall performance of the vehicle. To me that's taking away from what the vehicle was originally designed to do.

For me it was a relatively simple; do I want make my car to handle slightly worse for the sake of looking uber cool in a parking lot, or would I rather get some lighter wheels that improves the driving dynamics and overall experience?

All in all it's a matter of personal wheel size preference, new or used, type of style, whether it's cast or forged monoblock or forged 3-piece and how much you want to spend. Personally I rather go with HRE because they're a very reputable and proven brand and the wheels are TUV/JWL/VIA certified, so you know the wheels has been engineered and tested for safety and rigidity. Good luck on the search for new wheels, it can be a daunting task because there's much selection out there!
So true RYKR, I'm like you, I rather have function over form. HRE like BBS have been around forever and their quality is unmatched. I never heard of anybody cracking, bending, having hair line fractures around the lug nut mounts or hub mounts. And those certifications are the platinum standard for the industry. More than half of the wheels on the market may have one of those certifications, usually not all three. Appreciate your input on the subject at hand.
Old 04-14-14, 01:54 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why does this matter are you going to track your car? b
Old 04-14-14, 02:04 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Just curious, and don't take this the wrong way, but why did you guys buy such slow cars if you're that worried about how fast they are? The 300 is a major turd and the 350 is a low 14sec mid-sized luxury family sedan with an untouchable ECU so it's by no means a "sport/race" car. Even the mighty 2Ton 460 only runs a high 13 to a flat 14. Plenty fast for daily driving, but definitely too heavy and not the kind of car I would have picked for any kind of racing.

If we were talking about an ISF I could understand worrying about performance so much.