GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 02:52 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission flush differential fluid

Just had a transmission flush and differential fluid replaced at the dealer. Have 94k and plan on keeping her for a while.
Old 09-30-15, 06:30 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewGS350
Just had a transmission flush and differential fluid replaced at the dealer. Have 94k and plan on keeping her for a while.
What did they charge for each and did they use the BG machine for the flush?
Old 09-30-15, 10:45 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I would like to know the cost too.
Old 09-30-15, 11:20 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My local Toyota joint wants about $150 labor plus fluid costs. I think I'll continue to do it myself. They have a dedicated machine now for the WS and another for the T-IV. My Lexus joint won't do the flush.
Old 10-01-15, 08:05 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
My local Toyota joint wants about $150 labor plus fluid costs. I think I'll continue to do it myself. They have a dedicated machine now for the WS and another for the T-IV. My Lexus joint won't do the flush.
yeah, I found the same thing here in Okc a few months back when I was wanting to replace my ATF. Local Lexus store said they do a drain and fill (no flush) but only at 120k miles and then couldn't even tell me for sure if they do MULTIPLE d&f's to remove all old fluid. Toyota said they do a use a dedicated WS flush machine and have "no problems". How can there be two different schools of thought on how to properly service these GS transmissions even at the dealership level??! I ended up using this DIY tutorial to replace it all myself...but still wonder if the machine flush method is a "safe" alternative moving forward. For $239 (what Toyota charges)...it's a pretty cheap service, considering the fluid alone is $129 or so.
Old 10-01-15, 09:07 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
yeah, I found the same thing here in Okc a few months back when I was wanting to replace my ATF. Local Lexus store said they do a drain and fill (no flush) but only at 120k miles and then couldn't even tell me for sure if they do MULTIPLE d&f's to remove all old fluid. Toyota said they do a use a dedicated WS flush machine and have "no problems". How can there be two different schools of thought on how to properly service these GS transmissions even at the dealership level??! I ended up using this DIY tutorial to replace it all myself...but still wonder if the machine flush method is a "safe" alternative moving forward. For $239 (what Toyota charges)...it's a pretty cheap service, considering the fluid alone is $129 or so.
I wonder the samething....but I believe it's because Toyota owners are more likely to keep their cars longer than Lexus owners...my Lexus dealer doesn't want to touch it until it starts acting up. They did one change for me about 2 years ago but now they wont and someone should be able to explain why. Aisin makes all the transmissions for toyota and Lexus and they recommend that you change it so why not Lexus. I am going to be pissed if my transmission craps out but I have a record of every time they refused to service it since then in their system and on my paperwork.
Old 10-23-15, 01:59 PM
imdrax
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

He chose to do it incrementally. I did all 12, but only 3 at a time. Drained 3, filled 3 new qts. Started engine a few seconds and drained 3 more. repeated until cherry red was coming out the drain bolt then did the top off procedure. Will need 2 people if choose to do it this way. Buy 13 quarts as you will need 12 plus a partial.
Im curious why you say you need 2 people to do it your way? Unless im misunderstanding what it is that you are doing. Why cant you just drain, plug drain, fill, plug fill, go up start car shift through gears on stands, then turn off and go under and repeat? I see no need for 2 people unless you are having someone turn on the car with drain plug out while you fill? does the fill hole not fill into the pan? if not then I could see a case for doing it like this just like you would on other cars using the coolant line method.
Old 10-23-15, 06:31 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by imdrax
Im curious why you say you need 2 people to do it your way? Unless im misunderstanding what it is that you are doing. Why cant you just drain, plug drain, fill, plug fill, go up start car shift through gears on stands, then turn off and go under and repeat? I see no need for 2 people unless you are having someone turn on the car with drain plug out while you fill? does the fill hole not fill into the pan? if not then I could see a case for doing it like this just like you would on other cars using the coolant line method.
I think you may have answered your own question. It's so you dont have to go back and forth. One guy can stay under the car and do the drain and fills, while the other person is in the car running it through the gears. And no....you wouldnt turn car on with drain plug out.
Old 10-23-15, 06:56 PM
imdrax
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
I think you may have answered your own question. It's so you dont have to go back and forth. One guy can stay under the car and do the drain and fills, while the other person is in the car running it through the gears. And no....you wouldnt turn car on with drain plug out.
Gotcha, the way you said "need" 2 people was misleading because it can easily be done with 1 person.
Old 10-24-15, 11:37 AM
konnect2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my "take" on the transmission fluid change issue: If the under side of the trans mission is dry (no leakage), and it shifts okay and you want to change the transmission fluid, remove the drain plug to drain it into a catch pan, and carefully measure what comes out . The drain plug is on the bottom rear of the fluid pan. Remove the cover near the top of the transmissions left side. Then remove the fill plug, and pump in exactly the same amount of WS fluid that you drained out. A small hand pump can be bought on Ebay for less then $10. Using this method, you don' worry about transmission operating temperature, or having the car perfectly level. Since much of the fluid is contained in the torque converter, it will take several drain - fill cycles to change most of the fluid. By changing a portion of the total, you replenish much the important fluid additives, and it's better that ignoring this important maintenance item.
Old 10-24-15, 06:00 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did they charge for each and did they use the BG machine for the flush?
Transmission flush $300 differential $103. Yes they used the BG machine.

Last edited by DrewGS350; 10-24-15 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-02-15, 10:36 PM
LB23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you use the method of jumpering the 4 and 13 pins on the OBD? The car has to be in operating temp range in order to get the correct fill. The fluid expands as temp increases.
Is there any other method to measure the temperature? Operating temperature as in how many degrees?
Old 11-03-15, 04:38 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you could use one of those infra red heat guns I guess, but jumpering the 4/13 pins on OBD is most accurate method.
Old 11-18-15, 10:00 AM
bdpride04
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

temp check necessary?
I want to do it on my own, I have let dealer do it on 100k and charged me $300, if they only flash once and give the car back to me then I think I should do it on my own. never did tran flash before, so far I have done regular oil change, changed spark plugs, PCV valve. so far this is what I understood so far,

my car: 2006 GS 300 AWD

1. get original tran fluid (12 quarts)
2. use 3 at a time when flush and refill
3. drive for a little and then change again

as you can see I am not that expert, can some one please tell me if I follow these steps I should be ok? I don't want to mess my tran up, oh one more question when unplug that overflow when car is idling, if fluid comes out then let it till it stops and if not then add more till it about to start coming out right?

To change or not to change that is the question. As a highly debated topic on this forum, I felt it was necessary to share my experience.

Yes, I am aware the tranny is ‘sealed’.
Yes I am aware the claims of ‘lifetime’ fluid.
Yes I understand Lexus does not recommend changing the fluid nor does your favorite ASE certified Lexus technician.

Whatever. I am keeping my car until at least 250k miles so in my opinion this is absolutely necessary. My car just passed 100k miles.

First, let’s look at the evidence. After my first drain and fill of 2 Quarts of fluid, look at the difference between new and old fluid.

Now I am aware this may not tell the whole story. Just because the fluid is black, it does not mean it has lost its viscosity and lubricating ability and it still may feel super slick. So I sent a sample to Blackstone labs for analysis. Here is the result:

Their written analysis from Blackstone and breakdown below:

“We see lifetime oils a lot and the name can be very misleading. Since this fluid was the original fill, these metals are from the original break-in. Most of the metal is from new parts wearing in when the transmission was new and some of it is just normal accumulation over the last 100,000 miles. Now that this oil was changed, your next report should show some nice improvements as this stuff washes out. Your samples should look more like universal averages, which show typical wear after ~32K miles on the oil. No contamination was found. You are however, starting to lose viscosity at varying temperatures. Therefore, you changed at the appropriate time. Check back in 20,000 miles without draining."

It needed to be changed probably 20k miles ago.

Below I describe the procedure I found most efficient. I performed a series of drain and fills and did not do a flush as I was concerned of dislodging something that would affect the solenoids down the road. If I had fewer miles I may have just taken it in to a shop that had the BG PF5 machine and let them do their thing.

Disclaimer: Attempt at your own risk. This is the method that I found most useful and efficient – yours may differ and may not be the exact as described herein. As with any do-it-yourself project, unfamiliarity with the tools and process can be dangerous. This project should be construed as theoretical advice. I will not be held responsible for any injury due to the misuse or misunderstanding of this DIY project.

Here is an overview of what I did.
1. Drain 2-2.5 quarts/fill 2-2.5 quarts
2. (5000 miles later) Drain 2-2.5 quarts/fill 2-2.5 quarts
3. (5000 miles later) Drain 2-2.5 quarts/fill 2-2.5 quarts. Use fluid check procedure. Make sure ATF temp is below 46°C (115°F) and check fluid by opening overflow tube. Add fluid as necessary.
4. Repeat Steps 1-3. ***Note*** You do not need to wait 5000 miles between drain/fills. The fluid will be circulated with one drive down the block. I waited 5k miles because I changed my fluid when I did my engine oil change.

KEY POINT – as long as you replace exactly what you drained, you will have no issues. If you are off ½ quart you should not have a problem. I decided to check the fluid level at step 3 so if I was off more than I thought, I could adjust it accordingly, but I felt it wasn’t necessary to do this every time. After step 3, my fluid was perfect so steps 1-2 obviously worked (ie. Replacing the exact fluid that came out).

Ok, here we go…

Stuff needed:
- 12 quarts ATF World Standard (WS) fluid
- Fluid transfer pump or large syringe
- Crescent wrench or 20mm wrench
- 10mm wrench
- 14mm wrench

First, the steps for simple drain/fill:

I used rhino ramps. For the basic drain/fill, leveling the vehicle is not necessary. I actually think more fluid will drain out with the car in this position as the drain plug is to the rear of the tranny…

Remove plastic panel covering tranny. Three 10mm bolts and two plastic 10mm fasteners

Here you will notice the drain plug. 14mm bolt.

Drain fluid. It was soooo black.

***Note*** You have a couple options here. You can drain into a pan then measure the fluid in an empty container OR drain directly into empty container.

EXACTLY 2.5 quarts came out when I drained mine. Yours may differ.

Replace drain plug. Now you will access the fill hole on the driver’s side of the tranny. It is behind a cover, which is held by two 10mm bolts.

The fill plug is rather large. I used a crescent wrench to remove it. You can also use 20mm wrench. You can see it is stamped WS

Now add the EXACT amount of fluid that came out when you drained the pan. Use a fluid transfer pump or syringe.

Replace everything and you are done for the simple drain/fill step.

---→5000 miles later I did another drain/fill

next post...using check procedure...
Old 11-18-15, 05:56 PM
JasonARGY
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a question regarding the level as well.

I started a thread in the ls430 forum as I found that the bottom of my trans oil pan is coated in a thin layer of oil which caused some concern. Could not find the source at all and there is no drips anywhere, just the coat of oil all over. I found this thread while searching for any information I can find but still have no idea where the oil is coming from but here is my concern; if I jack up the car on passenger side and take out the overflow plug while car is cold, shouldn't there be no oil that comes out? Mine started pouring out so i quickly plugged it back up. I was under the assumption that, especially with the car jacked up on the passenger side and cold, that the oil level would be below the top of the overflow tube. Am I correct and the transmission is too full? Or am I dead wrong and there just more oil in the oil pan when the car is off?

I do plan on doing a flush as the car has 135k miles and the oil was black but have not had any issues. Not wanting to wait until I do though, as I am planning a 1000 mile trip for thanksgiving so I am a bit worried.

Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***