GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 10:36 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think it is 6mm. been a while though
Old 10-02-16, 03:03 PM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

now, lets have a true BONEHEAD chime in............

I was going to do an engine oil change. I couldn't decide which drain plug to remove as the front one (crankcase apparently) was on kind of a squared off looking bottom and the tranny one looked more like the traditional oil pan....or so I thought. Anyway, my dumb-a** drained out several quarts of the tranny fluid before I figured out I wasn't at the engine oil area. Duh! And, I don't know how much I drained out as it went right into my recycle oil container as it drained. I reinserted the tranny drain plug after quite a bit so not sure how much ran out but it was still flowing out shen I put pug back in.

My question is:

How do I know how much tranny fluid to replace now? Can I do it on my own without special tools? Can I drive it to the dealer like this (about 25 miles)?

Man, talk about feeling incredibly stupid and compounding problems on an easy afternoon with a boneheaded move. Damn, I'm mad at myself!
Old 10-02-16, 03:05 PM
Jontay
Driver

Originally Posted by Jontay

I was going to do an engine oil change. I couldn't decide which drain plug to remove as the front one (crankcase apparently) was on kind of a squared off looking bottom and the tranny one looked more like the traditional oil pan....or so I thought. Anyway, my dumb-a** drained out several quarts of the tranny fluid before I figured out I wasn't at the engine oil area. Duh! And, I don't know how much I drained out as it went right into my recycle oil container as it drained. I reinserted the tranny drain plug after quite a bit so not sure how much ran out but it was still flowing out shen I put pug back in.

My question is:

How do I know how much tranny fluid to replace now? Can I do it on my own without special tools? Can I drive it to the dealer like this (about 25 miles)?

Man, talk about feeling incredibly stupid and compounding problems on an easy afternoon with a boneheaded move. Damn, I'm mad at myself!

btw, I din't mention it before.
The car is a 2010 GS350 AWD
Old 10-02-16, 06:18 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

My question is:

Don't beat yourself up, it happens! And nothing got damaged so it's annoying, but not really a problem

The tranny fluid pan holds around 3 quarts, but you probably drained closer to 2.5 qts if it was only draining for 5-10 mins (it took me somewhere around 2 hours of draining to get the full 3 qts out).

I wouldn't drive it 25 miles with that much fluid missing (I wouldn't drive mine at all to be honest). If there's a Toyota dealership closer to you, you can get ATF WS there, and likely for a bit less than Lexus will charge. Be sure to get the crush washers for the drain bolt and level check bolt too while you're there.

Aside from some way to pump the fluid into the transmission, you don't need any special tools – everything you need should be listed in this DIY, Alchemist did an excellent job (as he did with all his other DIYs). The only mistake was that you need a 24mm socket for the fill bolt, but he said it's a 20mm bolt. As long as you have a basic set of tools and a torque wrench, you'll be fine!
Old 10-02-16, 06:45 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure you use a 5mm Allen wrench to check fluid level as well.
Old 10-02-16, 07:15 PM
Jontay
Driver

Originally Posted by Gs3500
Make sure you use a 5mm Allen wrench to check fluid level as well.
Not sure what you mean and why a 5mm Allen is needed? I would assume that I would just use the fill hole (with a pump) until the tranny fluid is spilling out (out of the fill hole) and I cannot put anymore in?
Thanks.
Old 10-02-16, 07:21 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

btw, I din't mention it before.
The car is a 2010 GS350 AWD
can you take another car to the dealer and get tranny fluid? Could friend drive you? I would not drive it. But drain the rest from the pan and add 2.5 quarts and you'll be fine
Old 10-02-16, 07:27 PM
Jontay
Driver

Originally Posted by Sodium
Don't beat yourself up, it happens! And nothing got damaged so it's annoying, but not really a problem

The tranny fluid pan holds around 3 quarts, but you probably drained closer to 2.5 qts if it was only draining for 5-10 mins (it took me somewhere around 2 hours of draining to get the full 3 qts out).

I wouldn't drive it 25 miles with that much fluid missing (I wouldn't drive mine at all to be honest). If there's a Toyota dealership closer to you, you can get ATF WS there, and likely for a bit less than Lexus will charge. Be sure to get the crush washers for the drain bolt and level check bolt too while you're there.

Aside from some way to pump the fluid into the transmission, you don't need any special tools – everything you need should be listed in this DIY, Alchemist did an excellent job (as he did with all his other DIYs). The only mistake was that you need a 24mm socket for the fill bolt, but he said it's a 20mm bolt. As long as you have a basic set of tools and a torque wrench, you'll be fine!
Awwwww.....man, your reply made my day. Thanks for the calmness and reassurance.

It had drained for probably close to 45-60 seconds, if I remember correctly. I'm figuring a couple quarts, easy. Man, still can't believe I did that one.

I called a friend who has a pump so I can borrow that. I won't drive it at all (didn't really intent to) and will head to Toyota to pick up 3-4 quarts (extra, just in case).

So, do I just fill until it starts coming back out of that 24mm fill hole and it can't hold anymore? What about the car being lifted in the front a little with jack stands (positioned on frame, in-line with front wheels so that front wheels are just 1-2 inches off the ground) as far as enough tranny fluid being put in? In other words, would the front end being raised that much throw off the proper amount needing to be added? Maybe I'm being a little too analytical?

Thanks again for the input.
Old 10-02-16, 07:47 PM
Jontay
Driver

Originally Posted by alchemist
can you take another car to the dealer and get tranny fluid? Could friend drive you? I would not drive it. But drain the rest from the pan and add 2.5 quarts and you'll be fine
and I just paid a couple hundred $ to the dealer to do a "drain-and-fill" this past December. sheeeesh.
Old 10-02-16, 08:04 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Awwwww.....man, your reply made my day. Thanks for the calmness and reassurance.

It had drained for probably close to 45-60 seconds, if I remember correctly. I'm figuring a couple quarts, easy. Man, still can't believe I did that one.

I called a friend who has a pump so I can borrow that. I won't drive it at all (didn't really intent to) and will head to Toyota to pick up 3-4 quarts (extra, just in case).

So, do I just fill until it starts coming back out of that 24mm fill hole and it can't hold anymore? What about the car being lifted in the front a little with jack stands (positioned on frame, in-line with front wheels so that front wheels are just 1-2 inches off the ground) as far as enough tranny fluid being put in? In other words, would the front end being raised that much throw off the proper amount needing to be added? Maybe I'm being a little too analytical?

Thanks again for the input.
No worries, I'm glad to help

You probably drained between 2 and 2.5 qts. Just replace what you took out – maybe put in 3 qts and then let some drain out with the level check procedure. As for the rest of your questions, go to page 1 of this thread and follow the steps outlined by Alchemist – he provides lots of pictures and step-by-step instructions, so you'll get much better info by following his DIY than if I try to answer your questions.
Old 10-03-16, 06:42 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Be very careful and dont overfill. do not fill until it runs out the overflow tube. you need to get it to the right temperature and then look for the trickle out the overflow tube(5mm allen wrench plug). look at Alchemist DIY to see how to jumper the 4 and 13 pins on the OBD. This fluid expands when heated so be careful
Old 10-03-16, 10:59 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello all,
I've read this thread from beginning to end.. There is much here in other generation cars that explain the process of transmission flush or drain and fill..
I would not attempt to do this in my garage as a D.I.Y.. Here is why, ATF at @ $8.00 to as much as $20.00 per quart X 13 quarts, as oppposed to
taking it to the dealer (look for shops/dealers that use the "BG" Trans flush machine, best choice).
If you know the dealer or have had business with them in the past, the typical fee for a complete flush is right around $200.00.

I'll let you all do he math...

Now how about liability.. D.I.Y., in the event a step is missed, the oil temp is inaccurate, ect., much could go wrong. I know from experience that it
takes very little to destroy a transmission (900 moving parts), your SOL and a new transmission or rebuilt could cost you a litle over $200.00. On the
other hand, if a WO is written up correctly and the dealer makes a serious mistake, you have a good case with legal resposibilty for repairs.
Old 10-03-16, 02:59 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pbxcomm
Hello all,
I've read this thread from beginning to end.. There is much here in other generation cars that explain the process of transmission flush or drain and fill..
I would not attempt to do this in my garage as a D.I.Y.. Here is why, ATF at @ $8.00 to as much as $20.00 per quart X 13 quarts, as oppposed to
taking it to the dealer (look for shops/dealers that use the "BG" Trans flush machine, best choice).
If you know the dealer or have had business with them in the past, the typical fee for a complete flush is right around $200.00.

I'll let you all do he math...

Now how about liability.. D.I.Y., in the event a step is missed, the oil temp is inaccurate, ect., much could go wrong. I know from experience that it
takes very little to destroy a transmission (900 moving parts), your SOL and a new transmission or rebuilt could cost you a litle over $200.00. On the
other hand, if a WO is written up correctly and the dealer makes a serious mistake, you have a good case with legal resposibilty for repairs.
If you can get an actual flush done, from a legitimate shop, with the BG machine, using WS fluid, for $200....then yes, it is a no brainer and I would do that in a heartbeat. The problem is most lexus/toyota shops do NOT do a flush, just a drain/fill and charge $200-300. The only tranny shop I found with BG machine near me did not have the hockey puck adapters to do the flush on my car.....so I i chose the DIY.
Old 10-03-16, 03:56 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what you mean and why a 5mm Allen is needed? I would assume that I would just use the fill hole (with a pump) until the tranny fluid is spilling out (out of the fill hole) and I cannot put anymore in?
Thanks.
u have to remove that Allan bolt to check the level of the fluid at the right temperature. Don't fill u till it comes out of the 24mm bolt!!
Old 10-04-16, 09:51 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Guys he has an AWD car, the trans takes a lot more fluid than the RWD model. More like 4.7 if I recall.
Good luck

Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***