GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Finally Back at Lexus bye BMW

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 12:47 PM
iLub3GS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twizgs
This is my second 3rd gen GS350 AWD great car. But as far as mod goes I'm not sure yet I was thinking about bigger wheels that's about it. Any suggestions on mod let me know
Ha! I read there isn't much to be done with the AWD GS...
I'm planning to get some exhaust tips and a good sounding exhaust, Maybe intake also.
I REALLY, REALLY want to lower my car, but am deathly afraid of wobble and vibratons. #AWDPROBLEMS
Old 03-26-14, 01:19 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Being the owner of an '07 GS and a '10 BMW 328 Coupe, both bought new, I can say the Lexus has been in the shop many more times than the BMW. However, the majority of the time it was recall issues, although it's had a few other problems as well. Fortunately, they were covered by warranty.
The BMW has been recalled once. Other than that, in the four plus years I've owned it, it's only been in for its annual scheduled service.
Old 03-26-14, 08:46 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Bavaria glad you have had great luck with the Bimmer. Agreed we have had our share of recalls but the overall reliability of our cars are in the top bracket. 2014 JD Powers data shows the 3 year dependability of Lexus being the very best w 68 problems per 100 vehicles (in fact GS took THE top spot for premium mid size sedans).

BMW is nearly double at 130....above industry average 133...but not by much. They are the world's best brand builders with a legendary cult like following due to design and how that design invokes spirit and personailty...as you certainly arent buying dependability (but maybe just good enough?).

Fascinating...just goes to show that a car is a very emotional (rather than rational) decision for many...yes I know that I risk stating the obvious...but still fascinating to me.

Interesting to see a big dropoff from Lexus' top spot as MB is at second at 104.

Here is the other interesting thing...look who is last? Mini Cooper...who owns them? BMW.

In terms of one region (Japan v EU v UK v US) being better: Japan has 50% of the top 10. Though all seem to be represented across the board. Some things never change...Chrysler Dodge Jeep will never get my money unless something drastically changes....and yes reason governs much (some would say too much) of my decision.

Data here:
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/201...ss-Release.htm

BTW OP: welcome back. I still feel the 3rd gen GS is a beauty and agree it has a classic look to it both inside and out. I got a 2014 GS as a loaner and couldnt return it fast enough. Felt less luxurious, angular/boxy dash, detached overall experience. I hope to have many more years with this GS as I am not sure if there is a worthy replacement quite yet.
Old 03-27-14, 02:12 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like this thread, I love my car. Love the lines, love the shifting, and love the sounds of the 4.3 V8. Just the other day after a wash a guy came up to ask me what year my car was, he thought it was a newer model and when I told him the year he couldn't believe how nice the car looked. He asked me if I wanted to sell too. My car has been great in terms of engine, and trans. Everything has worked seamless, even working on the car is very nice. Wish they still had a V8 model out there. Would never go with BMW or Mercedes. I had to buy a special tool just to remove spark plugs on a c240, and use only special torque sockets to remove engine components. That's was a pain. A buddy with a M3 payed over 1500 at a regular shop just to have a starter replaced not to mention all the other problems he had. Only thing I hate about my car is the darn tape player, I mean really?! Ha ha

Welcome back OP!
Old 03-27-14, 03:39 AM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats bro! I saw your post on the E9 bimmerfest forum. I'm looking into getting an 09 - 11 335i coupe within the next year or so. I've read all about there issues.
Old 03-27-14, 11:40 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
Being the owner of an '07 GS and a '10 BMW 328 Coupe, both bought new, I can say the Lexus has been in the shop many more times than the BMW. However, the majority of the time it was recall issues, although it's had a few other problems as well. Fortunately, they were covered by warranty.
The BMW has been recalled once. Other than that, in the four plus years I've owned it, it's only been in for its annual scheduled service.
Oh wow glad its working out for you; my aunt has driven nothing but BMW. Just like you she brought them new. So i'm guessing its better to buy BMW new instead of used.
Old 03-27-14, 11:43 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by benztolex
Congrats bro! I saw your post on the E9 bimmerfest forum. I'm looking into getting an 09 - 11 335i coupe within the next year or so. I've read all about there issues.
Oh cool you are on Bimmerfest too! That forum helped me out a lot they are really good at DIY stuff. I just feel better being back to Lexus. They really do a good job building their vehicles for the long run. Good Luck with 335i coupe! But I think you should wait and get the new RC Coupe... lol That was my plan but I didn't want to waste my summer or money with BMW repairs.
Old 03-27-14, 11:44 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by iLub3GS
Ha! I read there isn't much to be done with the AWD GS...
I'm planning to get some exhaust tips and a good sounding exhaust, Maybe intake also.
I REALLY, REALLY want to lower my car, but am deathly afraid of wobble and vibratons. #AWDPROBLEMS
Living here in Baltimore, MD i just prefer to have AWD this weather is so Bi-polar. I want a new exhaust and maybe some bigger wheels.
Old 03-27-14, 11:47 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=MelYW;8452611
BTW OP: welcome back. I still feel the 3rd gen GS is a beauty and agree it has a classic look to it both inside and out. I got a 2014 GS as a loaner and couldnt return it fast enough. Felt less luxurious, angular/boxy dash, detached overall experience. I hope to have many more years with this GS as I am not sure if there is a worthy replacement quite yet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Im glad to be back. I'm 26 now been driving Lexus since i was 19yrs I brought a 07 Es350 when they first came out in 2006. Ever since i have been a Lexus Fan. But I will say that I will only stick to the GS, IS, and or the RC coupe.
Old 03-27-14, 11:50 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Twizgs
Living here in Baltimore, MD i just prefer to have AWD this weather is so Bi-polar. I want a new exhaust and maybe some bigger wheels.
I'm not far from you and my RWD is just fine. I'm careful in bad weather, slow and steady.

Careful with those wheels. Many pot holes all over the road.
Old 03-27-14, 11:57 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by worker
I'm not far from you and my RWD is just fine. I'm careful in bad weather, slow and steady.

Careful with those wheels. Many pot holes all over the road.
Yes I know! Crazy stuff I was looking at the Stock 19in LFA wheels from the IS 250/350Fsport they look really good on the GS but nothing over 19in maybe 20.
Attached Thumbnails Finally Back at Lexus bye BMW-2010_lexus_gs_350_15_lightbox-1-.jpg   Finally Back at Lexus bye BMW-lx520-1985-mg-1.jpg   Finally Back at Lexus bye BMW-lx520-1985-mg-2.jpg  
Old 03-27-14, 02:20 PM
3ZERO3
Rookie

It's not just the reliability of our cars that is superior. The fit and finish is much better. I just can't see how people don't notice that sort of thing.
Old 03-27-14, 08:51 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3ZERO3
It's not just the reliability of our cars that is superior. The fit and finish is much better. I just can't see how people don't notice that sort of thing.
With the dash rattles, I cant give Lexus an A in this category.
Old 03-28-14, 03:42 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Ah, I see you got your GS from an Owie dealer as well, I did the same thing. Poor son of a gun who traded it in for one of those heaps is gonna be sorry. Nice upgrade, by the way BMW's are pretty, and fun to drive, but a nightmare to own...
Old 03-29-14, 09:47 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on the BMW (see my previous post). My four-year-old 328 manual transmission BMW has been virtually trouble-free since delivery. Can't say the same about my GS.

Quick Reply: Finally Back at Lexus bye BMW