GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Quick lug nut/wheel locks question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 08:29 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick lug nut/wheel locks question

I ended up braking my lexus wheel locks last night and am wondering if I can go to a Toyota dealership and purchase them?

They should be the same, right? Not interested in driving to my nearest lexus dealer which is pretty far away.

Please let me know if anyone has any info!
Old 03-17-14, 08:38 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

call, i dont see why not.
Old 03-17-14, 09:49 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You certainly can. However, for precisely the predicament you are in right now, you can go to [almost] any parts store and get four OEM matching non-locking lugnuts (for much less). Yes it still happens but wheel theft, especially OEM wheels, occurs w/ much less frequently any more since most cars come w/ alloy wheels..

Personally, I've experienced more problems involving wheel locks (stripped heads, broken/lost key, etc.) than they are worth. Therefore I always remove and replace w/ matching OEM std lugs (if I don't make seller replace before delivery). Lucky for you the break happened conveniently. Imagine your frustration though when it happens on a rainy, late and dark Fri night roadside when you're in a suit trying to put on your compact spare after a flat... 2 hours away from the nearest AAA/Lexus roadside assistance truck.

Furthermore, locks can easily be defeated as you will find out if you broke the key not lug. A pro looking for your wheels will bring the tools necessary to complete the job quickly... locks or not.

Good luck
Old 03-17-14, 12:38 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When my locks broke the last time I switched to winters I just threw them out and got more regular lugs.
Old 03-17-14, 01:09 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
You certainly can. However, for precisely the predicament you are in right now, you can go to [almost] any parts store and get four OEM matching non-locking lugnuts (for much less). Yes it still happens but wheel theft, especially OEM wheels, occurs w/ much less frequently any more since most cars come w/ alloy wheels..

Personally, I've experienced more problems involving wheel locks (stripped heads, broken/lost key, etc.) than they are worth. Therefore I always remove and replace w/ matching OEM std lugs (if I don't make seller replace before delivery). Lucky for you the break happened conveniently. Imagine your frustration though when it happens on a rainy, late and dark Fri night roadside when you're in a suit trying to put on your compact spare after a flat... 2 hours away from the nearest AAA/Lexus roadside assistance truck.

Furthermore, locks can easily be defeated as you will find out if you broke the key not lug. A pro looking for your wheels will bring the tools necessary to complete the job quickly... locks or not.

Good luck
Good call!

It was also definitely the lock itself that broke, so I ended up just breaking the lugs off.

I will most likely go to advanced auto to see if they have some matching lugs or locks. I don't really care for locks, but would not hurt to have them.

Thank you guys!
Old 03-17-14, 04:14 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
call, i dont see why not.
You would think you could but I doubt it. I had my tires rotated last month and they broke the lock. I went to my Lexus dealer and they didn't have replacements. If they were all the same it wouldn't be a wheel lock because anyone could remove them. Lexus told me to look for a card in my owners manual which basically had a key code so that I could order another one from the manufacturer. I didn't have time for all that so I took off the wheel locks and replaced them with regular lug nuts.
Old 03-18-14, 12:49 AM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

FWIW, the Lexus keys suck, the only way you open them is to push them in, use a hammer, and slowly hammer it out by tapping on the bar. I say this because you want the motion of a impact gun. That way it doesn't brea.

You really do get what you pay for with Lug nuts, invest ONE time in really good ones and it should be your last set to worry about.

GL all!