GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Air Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 06:59 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Lightbulb Air Intake Question

Sort of a technical question here folks. Tried searching here first but couldn't find the answer to this question. Hopefully you guys don't mind helping me out?

Can I install a Cold Air Intake to wifes 07' GS 350 WITHOUT doing anything on the exhaust side of things? More or less meaning, will there be any issues with breathing if I jet do a nice air intake without doing any mods to the stock exhaust?

While you are at it, any advice on which intakes work best in this model?

Much appreciated in advance!

Semper Fidelis,

Gunny
Old 03-17-14, 07:12 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

F-sport or K&N, if you look through the threads, there's members who have used both of these on the 350 engines.

You don't need one with the other, you'll be fine just having an intake.

Just remember that it's more for aesthetic reasons than anything. You'll MAYBE feel a better response, as some members have claimed that.... but I'm willing to go out on a limb that it's just because they reset the ECU, given time it'll be back to normal as the ECU recompensates.
Old 03-17-14, 07:27 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thanks, ummm Xx (what a screen name-lol

Just read that SRT is another good choice but that it requires something to plug into your ECU? I SERIOUSLY don't like messing with ANY ECU on any vehicle but is this an absolute must w the SRT intake?

On my truck I went from an open (K&N type) intake to the closed box (Volant) type since its said to be the new thing for keeping all that hot engine bay air from getting sucked in, and drawing in colder air from openings on bottom of box. No clue if this is same thing w Lexus or not. I never put any mods on her car but thought Id do something worth it for MPG etc. Thanks!
Old 03-17-14, 07:43 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Thanks, ummm Xx (what a screen name-lol

Just read that SRT is another good choice but that it requires something to plug into your ECU? I SERIOUSLY don't like messing with ANY ECU on any vehicle but is this an absolute must w the SRT intake?

On my truck I went from an open (K&N type) intake to the closed box (Volant) type since its said to be the new thing for keeping all that hot engine bay air from getting sucked in, and drawing in colder air from openings on bottom of box. No clue if this is same thing w Lexus or not. I never put any mods on her car but thought Id do something worth it for MPG etc. Thanks!
Nope, SRT doesn't make anything for the 350 engines. They're for the 300/430/400/IS-F engines.

The ECU is to give the car a little boost in power, it's not necessarily needed to go in the car.

Engine heat is still present, no matter how u put it with these cars, no one's too concerned about it though. Best I can tell you is to heat wrap the aluminum piping so it doesn't absorb heat from the engine.

FWIW, these intakes, both K&N and F-Sport come with a heat shield for the intake filter area to keep MOST of the engine heat out.
Old 03-17-14, 08:46 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Wow. For every other vehicle there are tons of choices to pick from when it comes to intakes, not the GS 350 eh? What a shocking revelation and quite depressing as Im not a big K&N fan. I wonder why SRT doesn't make one for the 350 either? This is just plain shocking!

MANY thanks for your insight brother. I am not worried enough on my wife's car to get serious enough to heat wrap anything. Was just hoping to mount a nice looking intake box and perhaps save a few mpg while getting some good sound out of it too! Shame.
Old 03-17-14, 11:21 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The best intake is the one the engineers designed into the car that you have already, the rest is just for show and placebo effects.
Old 03-17-14, 04:03 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Wow. For every other vehicle there are tons of choices to pick from when it comes to intakes, not the GS 350 eh? What a shocking revelation and quite depressing as Im not a big K&N fan. I wonder why SRT doesn't make one for the 350 either? This is just plain shocking!

MANY thanks for your insight brother. I am not worried enough on my wife's car to get serious enough to heat wrap anything. Was just hoping to mount a nice looking intake box and perhaps save a few mpg while getting some good sound out of it too! Shame.
They don't have a lot of options for our cars because you can't tune them. Most people get an intake and a chip to gain horsepower. Since they don't make a chip for our cars the intake is mainly for show and sound.