GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AWD Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 06:08 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have awd, and I have mixed feelings on the issue.
I think that if you put snow tires on either one, the "need" for AWD is drastically over-hyped.
My GS300 AWD won't let me power through a 4 wheel drift in snow like my old Audi with quattro would. It simply starts beeping at me and brings the car back in line with no fuss. A RWD would do the same thing. Put snow tires on them both and I bet you'd have a hard time telling the difference, quite honestly. My father's BMW has RWD with Blizzaks and has had zero trouble getting around this winter.
OP, if I were in your shoes, I would simply get the GS that fits your color/interior option/condition preferences and then get snow tires if it so happens to be RWD.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Originally Posted by uberEJ
its the preference... I just got mine last week too.

I love my AWD handles pretty crazy. I mean I was only planning on bagging it, wheels, exhaust, and intake. You'll run into the mid-pipe problems where nobody makes one and just have to custom it (which is what I'm going to do). They do sell axle-backs for the AWD though .

so as far as mods the mid-pipe is my only issue. again its preference and your plans for mods.
Yeah, the AWD mid-pipe thing is a head scratcher.
Old 03-13-14, 06:41 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Simmsled
I have awd, and I have mixed feelings on the issue.
I think that if you put snow tires on either one, the "need" for AWD is drastically over-hyped.
My GS300 AWD won't let me power through a 4 wheel drift in snow like my old Audi with quattro would. It simply starts beeping at me and brings the car back in line with no fuss. A RWD would do the same thing. Put snow tires on them both and I bet you'd have a hard time telling the difference, quite honestly. My father's BMW has RWD with Blizzaks and has had zero trouble getting around this winter.
OP, if I were in your shoes, I would simply get the GS that fits your color/interior option/condition preferences and then get snow tires if it so happens to be RWD.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Yeah, the AWD mid-pipe thing is a head scratcher.
haha tell me about it. with a straight pipe setup for my mid-pipe at my buddies muffler shop totals out to 140.... I think id rather do that then buy the Invidia one and mod it lol.

you can never go wrong either way AWD or RWD. I love my GS except for the ticking I'm getting lol. definitely going to take it in for a valve adjustment.

just need to take into the factor of more moving parts on the AWD = more weight = expense if something breaks. I only went AWD because the starfire pearl with black interior. Super rare in my area.
Old 03-13-14, 07:24 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AWD gets you going, snow tires get you stopping... Ideally if you have heavy winters you need both, of all the things to be cheap about, tires should never be on the list.

I have an AWD model, I can't comment it is "worth it" over RWD as I haven't evaluated the same GS in a RWD only, I don't imagine the difference to be that drastic, the AWD should come in handy in all traction related situations, not just snow. the AWD system on this car is not the end all and be all, it is a back/front power transfer and so long as just one wheel on either axle looses traction the entire axle is a write off until both wheels regain, so even at 50/50 power distribution if you are on a consistently covered snow/ice surface where just one wheel on front and one on back has no traction, the car will not move. Winter tires (or good tires for any situation for that matter) are always the first and foremost, Ideally on any car, front, rear, or all wheel drive, first and foremost you want to avoid traction loss on any wheel. the AWD comes in as a backup in case that happens for other wheels to help pull the car back onto a better surface. Torque vectoring systems are a little better as there each wheel is independent, but again, it should not be the first thing you rely on.

For snow/ice, this winter up here has been particularly pathetic and I have been extremely happy with my GS.... just yesterday (yes that is mid march folks) I had to come off a freeway to a completely unplowed off ramp after a hefty dumping of snow, car does like to blink a that yellow light and beep a lot but all and all it did just fine and I took the off-ramp at its rated speed limit, while other cars had to come to a complete stop before they hit the snow. and I don't have winter tires... plan on getting them for next winter.

Last edited by blue00; 03-13-14 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-13-14, 09:13 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blue00
AWD gets you going, snow tires get you stopping... Ideally if you have heavy winters you need both, of all the things to be cheap about, tires should never be on the list.

I have an AWD model, I can't comment it is "worth it" over RWD as I haven't evaluated the same GS in a RWD only, I don't imagine the difference to be that drastic, the AWD should come in handy in all traction related situations, not just snow. the AWD system on this car is not the end all and be all, it is a back/front power transfer and so long as just one wheel on either axle looses traction the entire axle is a write off until both wheels regain, so even at 50/50 power distribution if you are on a consistently covered snow/ice surface where just one wheel on front and one on back has no traction, the car will not move. Winter tires (or good tires for any situation for that matter) are always the first and foremost, Ideally on any car, front, rear, or all wheel drive, first and foremost you want to avoid traction loss on any wheel. the AWD comes in as a backup in case that happens for other wheels to help pull the car back onto a better surface. Torque vectoring systems are a little better as there each wheel is independent, but again, it should not be the first thing you rely on.

For snow/ice, this winter up here has been particularly pathetic and I have been extremely happy with my GS.... just yesterday (yes that is mid march folks) I had to come off a freeway to a completely unplowed off ramp after a hefty dumping of snow, car does like to blink a that yellow light and beep a lot but all and all it did just fine and I took the off-ramp at its rated speed limit, while other cars had to come to a complete stop before they hit the snow. and I don't have winter tires... plan on getting them for next winter.
x2
Old 03-13-14, 03:08 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my second gen GS was okay in very little snow situation, But this year the snow has been nothing but horrible in my area, Never did used winter tires before, I don't believe I will be modding the 3rd gen so that wont be a issue for me, just dont want to have any issues in the snow, im getting rid of my winter beater which is a honda accord, my driving style is slow cruising, plus a AWD is a better selling point in the future in my eyes.
Old 03-13-14, 03:49 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awd has been great in snow for me. However, I would be fine with rwd with good snow tires too. I have daily driven rwd with good snow tires before and it is doable, you just have to map out your drive more carefully if there is a lot of snow..

Get whatever suits you!
Old 03-13-14, 05:24 PM
RYKR
Rookie

It's all about personal preference, can't go wrong with either a RWD or AWD GS. Going off topic, but the other day a co-worker asked if the GS was a brand new model because he never seen one before. He was shocked when I said it was a 6 years old lol
Old 03-13-14, 06:49 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RYKR
It's all about personal preference, can't go wrong with either a RWD or AWD GS. Going off topic, but the other day a co-worker asked if the GS was a brand new model because he never seen one before. He was shocked when I said it was a 6 years old lol
Def dont see too many around where I live either which is a great thing. However, more have popped up recently as it seems. I assume it has something to do with it being more affordable to obtain now. For the price and what the 3GS offers, it is not a bad used vehicle to own at all. I still get the compliments and awkward chats/stares to this day.
Old 03-13-14, 07:38 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

my awd gs300 and my jaguar x-type are sweet in the snow

watch this fun
Old 03-13-14, 09:21 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Chicago, just bought a AWD GS350, it's amazing in the snow! I can drive RWD in the snow no problem, but AWD is definitely better - need to be careful though, AWD does nothing for stopping!! LMAO
Old 03-14-14, 09:16 AM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
AWD does nothing for stopping.
I should have been more clear, AWD defiantly won't help you stop but it will help you get going again on a hill. I only mentioned it because a couple of weeks ago I was behind a RWD truck who got stuck going up a steep hill. I had to stop because it was a single lane road but easily got going again and passed the truck as he back down the hill. Ive been in a similar situation at least 5 times this year because i live in a hilly area and they rarely plow the roads.
Old 03-17-14, 06:08 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

IMHO- regardless of where you live. AWD is worth EVERY RED CENT!!!
Wife's GS actually goes better thru snow and slush better than my Dodge 2500 diesel in 4wd!
I am 100% sold on this concept and will never change!
Old 03-17-14, 08:26 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I hate AWD I would rather a RWD as I have always had but AWD as explained is really better if you live in the east coast or winter prone areas as well as have a back car for winter. It can be done if you know how to drive in snow with RWD, I have a friend who drives a M3 in snow he has winter tires and does alright in winter. Winter tires aren't magic they help but don't perform miracles just saying.
Old 03-17-14, 11:26 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the north east, AWD isn't mandatory but definitely recommended!. NY winters last a 2 months but since the OP is from more North than NY it would be substantially more snow. You can get by on a RWD with snow tires but nothing will beat an AWD with snow tires in the snow.

I used to have a FWD with snow tires and i got through storms that most AWD cars and SUV's had issues with.