GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Has anyone actually cleaned the TB?

Old 03-08-14, 12:58 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone actually cleaned the TB?

I've searched the forums to see if anyone has actually cleaned the throttle body on the 06-12 gs

but haven't really came across it. I called a part shop to get the price for the gasket (someone on

the forums recommended to replace it after cleaning tb) but the guy over the phone told me that

there is no gasket and that this is not an task therefore should be left alone. But I think mine needs

cleaning considering it's never been cleaned and mine is a 2007 lexus gs350. Any input, videos, or

pictures would be appreciated. I prefer to remove the tb and thoroughly clean it out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-14, 07:47 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a gasket, WTF.

This is the 2006 but I really doubt there isn't one on the 2007+ or on any car for that matter... look it up for yourself.

That being said tread carefully with these drive by wire TBs... I had mine cleaned by a shop, I have no idea what they did to it exactly... it never really caused me any concern drivability wise afterwards but I am now questioning the fact that when idling in park with my foot off the accelerator my scanner is telling me my absolute throttle position is like 50%. That can't be right???
Old 03-09-14, 05:49 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've cleaned the ones on all 3 lexus I own including the 2007 GS350. It is not very difficult to do. There was a very small amount of carbon buildup on the GS350. I have cleaned it once around 88,000 miles.
Old 03-09-14, 10:58 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Originally Posted by burny
I've cleaned the ones on all 3 lexus I own including the 2007 GS350. It is not very difficult to do. There was a very small amount of carbon buildup on the GS350. I have cleaned it once around 88,000 miles.
Nice, what tools did you use, did you remove the tb completely, how long did it take, what cleaning brand did you use?
Old 03-10-14, 09:04 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I doubt that you will do any good by cleaning the throttle body so soon, unless the car has 200K miles on it, it probably is not an issue. It shouldn't be harder than on any other car, and there most certainly is a non reusable gasket (cant find the part number).

What makes you want to clean it?
Old 03-10-14, 09:43 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

You should clean your Throttle body every 60k miles or so. Its very simple, just 4 screws to remove it from the intake. Make sure to open the flap and clean inside, your car will run smoother.
Old 03-10-14, 10:10 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On the electronic throttle, don't you risk deforming the throttle plate by forcing it open manually? on older cars you could just pull the throttle lever/cable to open the plate. The other option as the OP suggested is to remove the whole throttle body but then it is a bit more fiddling to get it out....

explain again to me how this helps? unless you have severe deposits that impact airflow, the opening of the throttle is controlled by the pedal action, it will either be open or not. Otherwise the idle air bypass valve is a more probable cause for "rough" engine when accelerator pedal is not applied.
Old 03-11-14, 05:25 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Originally Posted by blue00
I doubt that you will do any good by cleaning the throttle body so soon, unless the car has 200K miles on it, it probably is not an issue. It shouldn't be harder than on any other car, and there most certainly is a non reusable gasket (cant find the part number).

What makes you want to clean it?

Not quite sure, I feel some hesitation/ late response when accelerating but this isn't all the time. The only thing I can think of is cleaning the throttle body but I'm a little concerned doing it myself. Was hoping someone had a video up on how to do it step by step process.
Old 03-11-14, 07:47 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexo11
Not quite sure, I feel some hesitation/ late response when accelerating but this isn't all the time. The only thing I can think of is cleaning the throttle body but I'm a little concerned doing it myself. Was hoping someone had a video up on how to do it step by step process.
My car has ALWAYS had an annoying delay when mashing the pedal until it wakes up and kicks into a lower gear and goes... having the throttle body cleaned did nothing for me in this regard.
Old 03-12-14, 01:17 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
My car has ALWAYS had an annoying delay when mashing the pedal until it wakes up and kicks into a lower gear and goes... having the throttle body cleaned did nothing for me in this regard.

Interesting, did you do it yourself or took it to a shop? also, did they remove the tb and clean it?
Old 03-13-14, 01:04 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by blue00
On the electronic throttle, don't you risk deforming the throttle plate by forcing it open manually? on older cars you could just pull the throttle lever/cable to open the plate. The other option as the OP suggested is to remove the whole throttle body but then it is a bit more fiddling to get it out....

explain again to me how this helps? unless you have severe deposits that impact airflow, the opening of the throttle is controlled by the pedal action, it will either be open or not. Otherwise the idle air bypass valve is a more probable cause for "rough" engine when accelerator pedal is not applied.

Your throttle body plate will not deform. Its a very simple job, that can be preformed in less then 5-10 min. My car had black carbon buildup on the throttle body and the intake manifold. The cleaner your engine is the more performance you will have.

I took off my throttle body, and pushed open the flap and made sure to clean it really good. I also cleaned inside the intake manifold as much as I can. Because if you have carbon at the TB more likely youll have carbon inside your intake. So a top engine clean is also best to do with the TB cleaning and finish it off with a pair of fresh spark plugs.
Old 03-15-14, 03:17 AM
koreanguy9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah just cleaned mine not to long ago pretty simple.
just remove the intake pipe to the tb and then 4 screws to take off the tb.
use crc tb cleaner and a rag and wipe it down really good.
I couldn't clean my intake because behind the tb there is a metal screen so yea...
Old 03-15-14, 05:34 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

what they said, you have to remove it to get it cleaned properly.
Old 03-15-14, 01:24 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

I figured, it makes sense to remove the tb and thoroughly clean it. Btw, how many miles did the vehicle have when you decided to clean it?

Also, did you purchase a new gasket for the tb or reuse the old one. I called the dealer to find out the price and they quoted me $57

Last edited by Lexo11; 03-15-14 at 01:25 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 03-15-14, 01:27 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

I clean mine every other oil change. Probably could go easily every couple years. I may switch up and just do it when I do the plugs every 60k.I run Redline si-1 in all my cars and never have a buildup issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone actually cleaned the TB?