GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Which Vaistech Model?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 10:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you got confused there. the cd/md/mp3 is just emulation mode, it's not "taking up" any buttons on the head unit

from your profile you have 07 es? if so then you have gen 5 nav and you NEED to program your unit into mp3 emulation mode. refer to this guide to see what mode you need to run in

http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/SL3i...on%20Guide.pdf

you always use the DISC/AUX button to cycle through all the modes, meaning your cd/dvd changer / aux / vaistech sl3b.

the diff emulation modes decides what kind of communication and display is enabled between the module and your head unit
Old 02-17-15, 11:21 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you got confused there. the cd/md/mp3 is just emulation mode, it's not "taking up" any buttons on the head unit

from your profile you have 07 es? if so then you have gen 5 nav and you NEED to program your unit into mp3 emulation mode. refer to this guide to see what mode you need to run in

http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/SL3i...on%20Guide.pdf

you always use the DISC/AUX button to cycle through all the modes, meaning your cd/dvd changer / aux / vaistech sl3b.

the diff emulation modes decides what kind of communication and display is enabled between the module and your head unit
ah ok so if i am understanding currectly what you are explaining is once the vais tech sl3b is connected properly and running in MP3 mode then i would use the Disc/Aux mode button and i would then turn that button into the mode for 3 different modes so that one button would be
CD Changer / Auxuliry input & MP3 Mode ok cool thanks
Old 02-17-15, 11:47 AM
Seasport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use both the Bluetooth audio through the Vaistech unit and voice through the car Bluetooth. Your phone should support both simultaneously. I've done this with a Galaxy S3 and S5.
Old 02-17-15, 02:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
ah ok so if i am understanding currectly what you are explaining is once the vais tech sl3b is connected properly and running in MP3 mode then i would use the Disc/Aux mode button and i would then turn that button into the mode for 3 different modes so that one button would be
CD Changer / Auxuliry input & MP3 Mode ok cool thanks
yes that's correct. also keep in mind, if you don't have an AUX cable connected to the jack, the head unit will not go into AUX at all. which means pressing the button will only cycle you through cd changer and vaistech sl3b

programming the unit correctly into mp3 mode is the key, make sure you follow the steps correctly. in case you muted it, make sure you enable the beeping function on the navigation so you can hear it.

Originally Posted by Seasport
You can use both the Bluetooth audio through the Vaistech unit and voice through the car Bluetooth. Your phone should support both simultaneously. I've done this with a Galaxy S3 and S5.
yes, the sl3b BT unit is completely separate from the car phone BT system. phones should be able to handle more than 1 system. some of my customers with ivic, their phones are connected to 3 BT devices (car phone, ivic, and BT mouse)
Old 02-18-15, 06:48 AM
kenne01l
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this is a dumb question but I see people talking about the SL3b bypassing the Nav screen. Does this mean I can't see the map while driving anymore? Just curious as I want to buy it for my 06 GS430.
Old 02-18-15, 10:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by kenne01l
Maybe this is a dumb question but I see people talking about the SL3b bypassing the Nav screen. Does this mean I can't see the map while driving anymore? Just curious as I want to buy it for my 06 GS430.
not sure where you read that? it's not taking over the map screen. it just becomes one of the audio screen, same thing when you press the audio button and shows your cd changer
Old 04-22-15, 10:14 PM
dmb908
Driver School Candidate

I just had the VAIS SoundLinQ3 (SL3B) installed on my 2003 LX470. So Bluetooth audio streaming from my iPhone or your Android works on earlier than 2004 models. CD quality sound on all my ML speakers, just as I wanted them. We'll worth the cost. I thought it won't work too, till I talked to Christian of Enfig Car Stereo in Carlstadt NJ. Here's his contact, 201 490 5015 if you want to find out if it will work on yours. I almost settled for lesser quality integration and could have gotten sound on only my front speakers, I was told. Called VAIS several times and was also told it does not work on 2003 and earlier. It was done professionally. Hope this info helps those who have been wanting an excellent Bluetooth integration on their 2003 and earlier Lexus. I am very satisfied. My cd changer still works. Streaming displays as MD changer. Even my backup camera interface with factory nav screen I had installed last year still work. My Bluetooth calling setup also works. Streaming cuts out, same as cd, when I use the phone. Christian also told me that he can install remote start without sacrificing the immobilizer on my LX. That is my next project.

Last edited by dmb908; 04-22-15 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 10-01-15, 12:48 PM
MartijnAms
Rookie

This thread opens with a question of sound quality.
Well I just installed Bluetooth version (Sl3b) and I am not so impressed by the sound quality. I am definitely not saying it is that bad, but compare it with the CD player you will definitely hear a difference in sound debt, especially with more 'complex music' like jazz, vocals etc.
CD player sounds more detailed and just overall a nicer sound, more full. For Bluetooth it is not bad (I heard some terrible devises).

I went for this option because at home I use Apple airport express (over Wi-Fi) and it sounds very well with Spotify. Plus I like to use convenient connectivity like wireless.

I will listen again tomorrow and make up my mind if this is what I really want. I live overseas so returning the device and choosing a MML is not easy, but maybe I can sell it on the Dutch version of this forum.

Anyway if you are picky about sound quality and really want the best sound quality then I would choose MML. Most times you will plug it in anyway for charging (iPhone 6 battery is not that good ;-).

I drive 2005 GS430 (2006 model) with ML and had text problem because I had no playlist in iTunes (or whatever it's called nowadays). Put 2 playlists with easy music, because it will start playing these lists (if you like it or not) when starting the car. Then you can switch to Spotify (or other app) and text and steering buttons function properly.
My 2 cents (I like this phrase!).

Last edited by MartijnAms; 10-01-15 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-08-15, 09:14 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

I'll be installing the SLB3 this weekend. It sounds like the majority of owners are satisfied with the audio citing that it is close to CD quality. I have read a couple reviewers saying it was significantly or somewhat worse than CD quality. Since no one has mentioned comparing it to the AUX in option, can I assume that is much better quality that that?
Old 10-08-15, 10:12 AM
Bradlar
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From my own personal experience with BT and what I have read the order of quality is CD>USB>AUX>BT. Although I have heard that USB can be and possibly even AUX can be just as good as CD with a good DAC (Digital Audio Converter) and that the USB mostly depends on the source file bitrate.

I believe BT is more a convenience perk. Think WiFi vs. Ethernet. You will get a faster connection with a directly connected solution.
Old 10-08-15, 11:32 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by handzilla
I'll be installing the SLB3 this weekend. It sounds like the majority of owners are satisfied with the audio citing that it is close to CD quality. I have read a couple reviewers saying it was significantly or somewhat worse than CD quality. Since no one has mentioned comparing it to the AUX in option, can I assume that is much better quality that that?
It can't be better than the AUX as they are using the same path. Wired vs Wireless.... Wireless will always have some trade offs. The BT Audio on my Grom is just fine, and the steering wheel controls still work. The convenience outweighs any slight difference in sound.
Old 10-08-15, 02:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't know about others but the aux in my old gs was far from good at all, on top of the lack of controls
Old 10-09-15, 04:56 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

I'm with rominl. I have an S4 phone and the aux definitely lacks bass, fullness of sound, and overall volume when compared to CD and radio. I'm hoping the SL3B can come close to a negligible difference.
Old 10-09-15, 08:11 AM
mbriex
Driver School Candidate

What about Ivic5i?
Does it sounds better than SL3b?

Last edited by mbriex; 10-11-15 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-09-15, 10:45 AM
MartijnAms
Rookie

Found our that depends on the BT protocol. Sl3b uses A2DP, but AptX is the way to go for good audio quality. I am really not satisfied and will return it, although the shop had 2 pages of RMA procedure and I already had to agree to possible return handling/ restock fee! Plus an extra of about $80 postage costs, but I still don't want to keep it. If you like quality music don't buy this and go for a Apt-x (doesn't exist for Lexus), or go wired...

Quick Reply: Which Vaistech Model?