GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

crc maf cleaner-any negative experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 02:25 PM
gstreee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crc maf cleaner-any negative experiences?

Hey has anyone made idle,hesistations,etc. Problems worse or even damage their maf sensor when attempting to clean with crc maf cleaner?
Old 03-05-14, 09:10 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Used it once, on another car.... I can't say it does any bad.... As I followed the directions on the can and never looked back. This was on another car though so I can't vouch for your results on your GS.
Old 03-06-14, 06:05 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Used it once, on another car.... I can't say it does any bad.... As I followed the directions on the can and never looked back. This was on another car though so I can't vouch for your results on your GS.
x2 - pretty harmless stuff, just make sure your MAF dries completely before re-install.
Old 03-06-14, 06:51 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This product specifically states on the back DO NOT use in most Lexus vehicles. I don't know what kind of MAF your GS model has but if its a Karman-Vortex type you are not supposed to use this cleaner.

-Joe

Last edited by jamodeo; 03-06-14 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-06-14, 11:07 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jamodeo
This product specifically states on the back DO NOT use in most Lexus vehicles. I don't know what kind of MAF your GS model has but if its a Karman-Vortex type you are not supposed to use this cleaner.

-Joe
Seriously? I highly doubt this. All it is is hexane and alcohol really, which are what most electrical contact cleaners are made of... (solvents).

I don't see how it can damage anything here. I am fairly sure there is nothing mysterious about the MAFs in Lexus - they are the same as the ones in Toyota with interchangeable parts and they most certainly just have the typical hot wire/film inside.
Old 03-06-14, 11:33 AM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Seriously? I highly doubt this. All it is is hexane and alcohol really, which are what most electrical contact cleaners are made of... (solvents).

I don't see how it can damage anything here. I am fairly sure there is nothing mysterious about the MAFs in Lexus - they are the same as the ones in Toyota with interchangeable parts and they most certainly just have the typical hot wire/film inside.
That manufacturer specifically states on the back of the bottle that it is not meant for Mitsubishis, Supra Turbos, and Most Lexus'

If we want to get into talking about the differences in MAF types, and why this solvent may damage various parts of the Karman Vortex air flow meter I can explain more as this type is more complex than your standard hot wire type.

-Joe

Last edited by jamodeo; 03-06-14 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-06-14, 12:54 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow, good call joe .

I didn't know this, why I said I haven't done it on my Lexus LOL!
Old 03-06-14, 03:59 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jamodeo
That manufacturer specifically states on the back of the bottle that it is not meant for Mitsubishis, Supra Turbos, and Most Lexus'

If we want to get into talking about the differences in MAF types, and why this solvent may damage various parts of the Karman Vortex air flow meter I can explain more as this type is more complex than your standard hot wire type.

-Joe
This must be some old *** disclaimer that is a long way past being relevant if it is even on a recent can of the stuff... why say most Lexus and not most Toyota? They literally all share the same MAF parts which all modern Lexus/Toyota just have a hot film/wire and i gaurantee you will not find any "vortexes". The fact that this sentence puts Supra Turbos in there has got to make you wonder how long ago they wrote that.
Old 03-06-14, 04:56 PM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
This must be some old *** disclaimer that is a long way past being relevant if it is even on a recent can of the stuff... why say most Lexus and not most Toyota? They literally all share the same MAF parts which all modern Lexus/Toyota just have a hot film/wire and i gaurantee you will not find any "vortexes". The fact that this sentence puts Supra Turbos in there has got to make you wonder how long ago they wrote that.
I honestly don't know what type MAF the GS uses, I just know that the bottle displays this caution and I felt I should say something.

-Joe