GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Replaced wiper blade inserts -- still streaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 11:02 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Replaced wiper blade inserts -- still streaking

I can't figure this one out. The far end of my passenger side wiper has been leaving about a 2 inch wide arcing streak lately. I figured I needed new inserts, so I replaced them yesterday. The passenger side wiper is still streaking in the exact same place. I know I put the new inserts in correctly, including installing the little metal clip at the end of the insert. What could be the problem? Could I need a new wiper blade? Do those things go bad?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

e
Old 03-01-14, 12:39 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe there isn't enough pressure against the windshield on that side. I typically use the blades that confirm the the windshield but don't remember what they call it. It's almost frameless like if that even makes sense.
Old 03-01-14, 01:39 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

what up Jank? Did you bend one of the arms slightly?
Old 03-01-14, 02:22 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Jank?

I bought the car CPO 2 years ago. It seemed fine for the first 18 months. I first noticed the streaking about 6 months ago and hadn't touched the blades or the inserts at that point. I waited until yesterday to replace the inserts. Seems like it made no difference.
Old 03-01-14, 03:21 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

No help on the OEM setup other than checking to make sure it's not binding at any of the pivot or sweep points. If you decide to go aftermarket, see below.

My GS430 already had aftermarket wipers on it when I got it. I replaced them with Bosch Icon as I've had great luck with them on other vehicles. Can usually find them for $30-40 a pair on sale and I get anywhere from 18-24 months out of them. Dead silent, don't leave any residue on the windshield and clear coverage in all conditions I've used them. They are the only aftermarket wipers I've found to be acceptable.
Old 03-01-14, 05:47 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

e-man, may I suggest you claybar your windshield and possibly put sealant on it?

I've done this on my windows 2 years now and I RARELY ever use the windshield wiper (only on HARSH HARSH weather conditions where there's so much rain it's literally impossible to see).

The water beads soo nastily it's not even funny lol
Old 03-01-14, 06:52 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
e-man, may I suggest you claybar your windshield and possibly put sealant on it?

I've done this on my windows 2 years now and I RARELY ever use the windshield wiper (only on HARSH HARSH weather conditions where there's so much rain it's literally impossible to see).

The water beads soo nastily it's not even funny lol
What clay bar do you use?
Old 03-01-14, 07:02 PM
XxGoKoUxX

http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-speed-clay-bar.html\

I used that with pinnacle speed clay speed clay lube (sounds soo dirty, but it's what it's called LOL).

Wipe it clean, let it dry....

Rub 3 coats of klasse sealant on it (1 hour curing time between each).

http://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss.html

Let it dry in the sun for a full day, and go to town... Water still beads 2 years later..... stuff lasts a long time.
Old 03-01-14, 07:03 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know why but passenger side new insert still leaves streaking. That's why I replaced the OEM blades with Rain-X. blades. No more streaking. They work well in snow too.
Old 03-01-14, 07:15 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
I replaced them with Bosch Icon as I've had great luck with them on other vehicles. Can usually find them for $30-40 a pair on sale and I get anywhere from 18-24 months out of them. Dead silent, don't leave any residue on the windshield and clear coverage in all conditions I've used them. They are the only aftermarket wipers I've found to be acceptable.
I 2nd that notion, I have Bosh Icon's on my GS and they work great.
Old 03-01-14, 07:21 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-speed-clay-bar.html\

I used that with pinnacle speed clay speed clay lube (sounds soo dirty, but it's what it's called LOL).

Wipe it clean, let it dry....

Rub 3 coats of klasse sealant on it (1 hour curing time between each).

http://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss.html

Let it dry in the sun for a full day, and go to town... Water still beads 2 years later..... stuff lasts a long time.
I'm gonna need to try that. I took my car to get detailed and now my windshield is all messed up. Seems like they used some oily solvents to clean the windows.. Need to get rid of it asap
Old 03-01-14, 08:22 PM
XxGoKoUxX

yuck skylar!!

FWIW, you can do this on the whole car, as it's meant for the body panels clear coat too!

Just make sure the car's COMPLETELY DRY (no water at all) while you sealant, and let it cure for a day or two in the sun before sending it through with water. After that it's AWESOME!
Old 03-01-14, 08:28 PM
e-man
Pole Position

I have an applicant, I think it's called xpel. It comes in a cylindrical plastic tube. Maybe I'll try that.
Old 03-02-14, 09:53 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

yuck skylar!!

FWIW, you can do this on the whole car, as it's meant for the body panels clear coat too!

Just make sure the car's COMPLETELY DRY (no water at all) while you sealant, and let it cure for a day or two in the sun before sending it through with water. After that it's AWESOME!
Will do! It looks like I may need to go to a professional detailer. The car wash detailer seemed to have marred my paint. Looks like they did not use enough liquid when they clayed it prior to waxing..

Lesson learned!
Old 03-10-14, 08:34 AM
jegyed
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any problem with the wipers after the Klasse ?

I once used a sealant when they first came out and it caused my wipers to stick to the windshield and shriek when used, it was awful. Does the Klasse sealant cause any issues like this.

For what its worth I have used Veleo wipers ( tire rack) on a different car in the past and they lasted me for about 4 years and were great. The car was parked in a garage out of the sun all day so maybe that's why they lasted so long. Performance was the best I have ever experienced and they are less expensive than the Bosh Icons mentioned here ( which I have not used).
However I just went and looked at them (01 GS430 now my kids car) and found that the plastic covers have come off and the hook is exposed. I checked the extra set and they do not come with the little cover that hides the hook. So they are not as slick looking as stock.

Thanks.

Last edited by jegyed; 03-10-14 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Replaced wiper blade inserts -- still streaking