GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Confused About Which Used Car to Buy, IS or GS Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 10:15 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused About Which Used Car to Buy, IS or GS Model

Hello,
My husband and I will be moving to California in the summer and need help in deciding to buy either a used IS or GS model. We are okay spending around 20-25k for the IS and 25-30k for the GS.

We are confused about which one to buy and came here for some guidance. We know that we probably want to run this car to the ground so reliability over the long term is an important factor. Any tips/experiences on either model would be greatly appreciated (I realize this is a broad question so please let me know if you need any additional info) Thanks!
Old 02-24-14, 10:57 AM
SLOW4DR
Pole Position

Do you have children or plan on having? The is a very small sedan while the gs is very spacious and comfortable.
Old 02-24-14, 11:07 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SLOW4DR
Do you have children or plan on having? The is a very small sedan while the gs is very spacious and comfortable.
We do not have children but may in the future but by the time they are out of the booster I think we would get another car. With that being said, s is the IS big enough to accommodate two baby seats for a couple of years or is it out of the question? Thanks!
Old 02-24-14, 11:10 AM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Both overall are reliable cars so it comes down to what you are looking for. The IS is smaller so you’ll get slightly better gas mileage and it’s better for spirited driving. The GS has a smoother ride and will give you and any passengers more leg room.

Some GS years have a fair amount of engine recalls so I would get a 08 or newer. Some IS’s are plagued with touch screen issues and I’m not sure if they were ever resolved. Personally I’m a fan of the GS due to the extra size and improved ride quality.
Old 02-24-14, 12:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

imho both cars don't have good rear cabin space for kids anyway but the IS is even worse

imho you will have hard time with rear facing baby carries / car seats, definitely in our case. once they hit booster that's the easy part anyway

really need to drive the cars and make your decision, both cars drive pretty differently
Old 02-24-14, 12:55 PM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer the GS because I just like a car with more presence and the better ride quality, I have long commutes. Both cars are equally unreliable (that is to say one is not worse than the other , and you can certainly do worse with other cars), maintenance on both can be a premium if you don't know about cars. I research galore, and the GS (I imagine the IS as well) is one fine machine, there really are no visible corners that were cut (some other makers opt for appearance over substance) but the suspension design, engine design, and transmissions are top notch. the AWD system is a bit primitive but does the job, I imagine the newer torque vectoring system is much better, but you don't need that in Cali

I would NOT describe the GS as very spacious, perhaps barely sufficient at best. I would agree that neither car is truly a rear passenger car. Adults do not have much headroom in the back, forget about the center seat because of the drive shaft, the bulge comes up so high that it might as well be another armrest in the middle.

I doubt the IS has enough room for child seats, booster maybe. On my GS i have one booster and my 6 year old is fine in it, my 3 year old is in a forward facing child seat and there is just enough room for her legs, if it were any less space she would not have room.... a rear facing seat or a carrier, I doubt would fit without sacrificing front passenger comfort. Note, I only sat in an IS for under 1 minute when I was at the dealership waiting for something, so I don't know exactly how that car is. the trunk on the GS is tiny, you would be hard pressed to fit one of those crappy Graco strollers, if you go with a higher quality, better designed stroller, then it will fit, with not much room to spare, but the run of the mill big bulky strollers will not fit.

Again, the trunk on the GS is tiny (and even tinier on the Hybrid), so don't be planning on any trips that require a lot of luggage with that car. in terms of passenger and cargo volume, my old 2000 accord did a LOT better with the nearly identical exterior dimensions. not so much better for acceleration, handling, and comfort of all the little Lexus spoils though

Last edited by blue00; 02-24-14 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-24-14, 05:23 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

If children are in your near future I'd stay away from both. I have a GS and a rear facing seat barely fits in the back. 2 rear facing seats would be impossible unless you and your husband are midgets and have the front seats full forward.

I wouldn't even consider an IS if you're planning on kids. I actually wanted an IS, but it's just not possible with infant-toddlers. I couldn't imagine trying to fit even one car seat in the back of an IS.

Also, the wheels have to come off the stroller to fit in the odd shaped trunk entrance of the GS. It's a hassle and takes a bit more time.

I do love my GS though. I've owned a ridiculous amount of vehicles over the years and it's my favorite so far.
Old 02-24-14, 06:04 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW4DR
LOL, the GS is still too small if you ask me. I have two kids, they will both fit obviously with two car seats but it's not like it's got a ton of space and I can't (at 6 feet) have a rear facing seat behind me.

Also the trunk is just about useless, it will fit one stroller barely.
Old 02-24-14, 06:58 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

For that kind of money you can buy a 2010-up LS460.

But to answer your question, I have owned an IS250 and now GS350. The GS is a lot nicer and more refined, the IS interior is built pretty cheaply. The interior after time gums up from the sun and comes apart. In places like the door handles and the dash. Also it is very tight cabin space. The GS is slightly bigger maybe 2" wider insides, and the LS is wider aswell

The GS is more Reliable then an IS, the LS is more reliable then a GS. Goodluck!
Old 02-24-14, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ibidu1
For that kind of money you can buy a 2010-up LS460.

But to answer your question, I have owned an IS250 and now GS350. The GS is a lot nicer and more refined, the IS interior is built pretty cheaply. The interior after time gums up from the sun and comes apart. In places like the door handles and the dash. Also it is very tight cabin space. The GS is slightly bigger maybe 2" wider insides, and the LS is wider aswell

The GS is more Reliable then an IS, the LS is more reliable then a GS. Goodluck!
30k for a 2010- ls460?
Old 02-24-14, 10:43 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
30k for a 2010- ls460?
I paid $31,500 for my uncles clean 2010 LS460 loaded (navi,ML) 61K miles no accidents about 4-5 months ago
Old 02-24-14, 10:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

very nice!! looks like prices on the LS is coming down pretty fast too
Old 02-24-14, 11:54 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd suggest get GS since you are married. I personally think that IS is more like for single/non-married crowd OR weekend car for guy/girl, and IS rear seat is just no leg room at all.

GS trunk is a joke, I've put twin-stroller in it and barely able to put some grocery bags.

get GS 2008+ or for that budget, u can get 2007-08 LS around here. GL!
Old 02-25-14, 09:02 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my IS350 after 4 years of ownership and just recently bought the GS350.
The GS is more comfy and roomier, the ride quality is also better but the IS350 is much quicker.
Old 02-25-14, 09:40 AM
gshoq
Driver School Candidate

The GS is a definite step up over the IS. You lose a bit of driving dynamics in exchange for more comfort, refinement, and room. I was starting to get tired of how small my IS was towards the end of my ownership and now I am really enjoying the GS.

Quick Reply: Confused About Which Used Car to Buy, IS or GS Model