GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Confused About Which Used Car to Buy, IS or GS Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 05:14 AM
Broken2G
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We looked at both the Is and the GS we had one child at the time who was 10 months old. The rear facing child seat fits in the IS but makes the front seating position very uncomfortable. The GS has a little more room just enough so that the front seating position is somewhat comfortable. Now that my son uses a front facing seat there is plenty of room. We bought the GS (08 RWD with AVS) and has been by far my favorite car to own and drive.
Old 02-26-14, 11:40 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Default Decisions decisions!! IS vs GS

Over the past four months I've been searching for a Lexus. I test drove 12 cars in that time frame; here is my opinion. The IS on the outside is a great looking car, but driving it, while sporty, was very stiff. In the IS you definitely feel the road a lot more than a GS or LS. The IS feels very compact while in the driver seat and your passengers are really close.

The LS 460 is a great car and probably the best riding vehicle on the road, outside of your top end (high dollar) cars... I drove three LS's and all were really roomy, almost too much room. I felt like I was driving my grandfathers old Cadillac. As far as ride, it felt a little like being in a boat. Power was good and interior is amazing! You would have no problem with child seats in the back. But who wants to put kids in a Lexus?? You'll end up with crackers and all kinds of other crap in your back seat. Also, child seats over time ruin the form of the seats, you'll have impressions permanently imbedded and it looks horrible when you take them out. Trust me, I have three kids (8, 6, & 5 years old).

Now, the GS and the car I actually purchased two days ago. In my opinion, this car is a happy medium. I wanted sport, luxury, and looks all in the same package. I think I achieved all of those with my purchase!! I will tell you this, child seats would be no problem, but again, who wants to do that in this type of car? The upside is, it sounds like you have some time before you get to this stage (kids). I would seriously consider the GS 350 for the ride, interior, and performance.

I don't know what your situation is, but my wife and I have two vehicles now. When hauling around the kids we have a 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring. I bought my minivan brand new, which I don't suggest, cause the cost was insane, but I told my wife if I have to drive a minivan, it was going to be the best one out there... We got that, and the hefty price tag - 43K!! Again, I don't know your situation, but when you decide to add kids to the mix, I would seriously consider the minivan (used & with low mileage). Although I was not a fan of minivans, it seriously is a great vehicle, and fast too! Auto side doors and trunk is a great thing to have with kids!! also, you'll really need the room in the beginning, cause you'll be taking a boat load of crap with you when visiting family or friends. Here is just a few items we would take when our kids were small, packable crib, toys, breast pump, camera bag (you'll be taking a lot of photos of your kids with family) & diaper bag - just to name a few. You'd be pushing it in the GS.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but these are all things you'll need to consider and I hope my past experience will help! One last thing, I just too my son (5) and my nephew (6) uptown to get a city sticker, no child seats cause it's only three blocks, but because of there height, their feet hit the back of my front seats and made a bunch of white scuff marks (salt from the ground because it's winter) and I had to clean it all off. Doing that every time you have little passengers will start to get aggravating!!

Here's a picture of the GS I bought, I think the GS is the best decision, again, just my opinion!! :-)

Confused About Which Used Car to Buy, IS or GS Model-20140224_163641.jpg

Hope this helps!!
Old 02-27-14, 07:29 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YaMomma
Both overall are reliable cars so it comes down to what you are looking for. The IS is smaller so you’ll get slightly better gas mileage and it’s better for spirited driving. The GS has a smoother ride and will give you and any passengers more leg room.

Some GS years have a fair amount of engine recalls so I would get a 08 or newer. Some IS’s are plagued with touch screen issues and I’m not sure if they were ever resolved. Personally I’m a fan of the GS due to the extra size and improved ride quality.
Thanks so much for your advice. I am starting to realize the importance of leg space for any potential back seat passengers.

Do you happen to know off hand which GS models were recalled? Thanks!
Old 02-27-14, 08:40 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blue00
I prefer the GS because I just like a car with more presence and the better ride quality, I have long commutes. Both cars are equally unreliable (that is to say one is not worse than the other , and you can certainly do worse with other cars), maintenance on both can be a premium if you don't know about cars. I research galore, and the GS (I imagine the IS as well) is one fine machine, there really are no visible corners that were cut (some other makers opt for appearance over substance) but the suspension design, engine design, and transmissions are top notch. the AWD system is a bit primitive but does the job, I imagine the newer torque vectoring system is much better, but you don't need that in Cali

I would NOT describe the GS as very spacious, perhaps barely sufficient at best. I would agree that neither car is truly a rear passenger car. Adults do not have much headroom in the back, forget about the center seat because of the drive shaft, the bulge comes up so high that it might as well be another armrest in the middle.

I doubt the IS has enough room for child seats, booster maybe. On my GS i have one booster and my 6 year old is fine in it, my 3 year old is in a forward facing child seat and there is just enough room for her legs, if it were any less space she would not have room.... a rear facing seat or a carrier, I doubt would fit without sacrificing front passenger comfort. Note, I only sat in an IS for under 1 minute when I was at the dealership waiting for something, so I don't know exactly how that car is. the trunk on the GS is tiny, you would be hard pressed to fit one of those crappy Graco strollers, if you go with a higher quality, better designed stroller, then it will fit, with not much room to spare, but the run of the mill big bulky strollers will not fit.

Again, the trunk on the GS is tiny (and even tinier on the Hybrid), so don't be planning on any trips that require a lot of luggage with that car. in terms of passenger and cargo volume, my old 2000 accord did a LOT better with the nearly identical exterior dimensions. not so much better for acceleration, handling, and comfort of all the little Lexus spoils though
Wow, thanks so much for the detailed response. I did not realize that the GS had such little trunk space and thought for sure that a stroller would be no problem. I guess I need to look into it a little more.
Is there another luxury sedan that you would suggest? Thanks.
Old 02-27-14, 10:51 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Schmexus
If children are in your near future I'd stay away from both. I have a GS and a rear facing seat barely fits in the back. 2 rear facing seats would be impossible unless you and your husband are midgets and have the front seats full forward.

I wouldn't even consider an IS if you're planning on kids. I actually wanted an IS, but it's just not possible with infant-toddlers. I couldn't imagine trying to fit even one car seat in the back of an IS.

Also, the wheels have to come off the stroller to fit in the odd shaped trunk entrance of the GS. It's a hassle and takes a bit more time.

I do love my GS though. I've owned a ridiculous amount of vehicles over the years and it's my favorite so far.
Thanks for the useful information. I am totally bummed to hear that the GS is not as practical of a family car as I originally thought.

Do you still have your GS or did you get something else? Thanks.
Old 02-27-14, 11:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by joytoy999
Wow, thanks so much for the detailed response. I did not realize that the GS had such little trunk space and thought for sure that a stroller would be no problem. I guess I need to look into it a little more.
Is there another luxury sedan that you would suggest? Thanks.
if you care about trunk space, you should be careful on the 3gs. for stroller, it depends on which kind. if you have those big ones that you can clip carriers on (usually the case for infant), it's going to be tight fit. ours only fit in ONE orientation and i had to tilt it in certain angle to fit too. if you get those 3-wheelers, there is a big chance it won't fit either. now if you get those space saving ones that most toddlers have, that's of course no problem. these were exact first hand problems we had when we had our first kid

same with luggage. the 3gs trunk might have the volume but it doesn't have the shape. there was no way we could fit two regular full size luggage in the trunk, made it quite an embarrassing experience at the airport.

rear cabin room, i think it's really up to you and how much you will use it. to me, i am only 5'7" and even with my seating position, there was no way i could fit rear facing car seat in the back, and with forward facing, the leg room got tight.

my honest opinions, if you want to plan a car that in years will work with your starting family with kids? i would look into the es350 or the rx350. more rear room, more cargo space.

kids were the primary reason we got rid of our gs350. we went to the s550 and now suv
Old 02-27-14, 01:52 PM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also looked at an Acura TL... it is a bigger car in all dimensions, interior room is also a lot more and trunk is equivalent to a good size family sedan.... BUT the GS drives a lot better, so I bought that, I did my service in the family beater and both kids are forward facing and no strollers For trips with a lot of luggage we just take my wife's Mazda5 (not sure what to call that thing, I insist its a mini minivan) but that is definitely not Luxury, nor would I recommend it for anyone unless you really need a vehicle with that specific form factor (a small station wagon with sliding doors) then there just isn't much choice. It it is badly made, and a crappy ride, but it sure is functional.