GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS Tramlining and Notchy Steering solved!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 09:44 AM
storms71
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3GS Tramlining and Notchy Steering solved!

I’m happy to post my SOLUTION to a few frustrating problems I had with my 2008 GS. Primarily Tramlining (the car follows every line or depression in the road and pulls your steering wheel toward the imperfection) and the Notchy Steering (when your steering wheel gets stuck in one position and you have to exert extra force to move it, and when it moves, it goes suddenly and causes you to slightly swerve). I struggled to find a solution to these two problems to no avail and pretty much just resolved to live with these issues and chalk them up as characteristics of the car.

Then in October ‘13 I replaced the OEM Dunlop run-flat tires with a set of Continental Extreme DWS (non-run flat) tires. Instantaneously all Tramlining was 100% gone! and has not returned with over 7000 miles on the Continental’s. However, consequently the Notchy Steering issue was even worse than before! BUT, as time and miles progressed the Notchy steering gradually (but fairly quickly) disappeared! Two problems solved!

These sudden changes verified to me that these issues are solely due to the tires, not the car. This made me feel much better about the build quality of my Lexus, as I had been questioning it before.

Additionally, at the time of my tire replacement I had also taken my GS into the Dealer for a light scraping sound when turning right at slow speeds. Sounded to me like a bearing issue in my front left tire area. They could not find any problems with the bearings and blamed it on the brakes. Not ready to get new brakes quite yet I lived with the scraping sound UNTIL I replaced the OEM run-flats! The new tires completely eliminated the scraping sound! Three problems fixed by eliminating the run-flats!

Another unexpected bonus was ride quality. OMG what a difference! I understand that the run-flats will improve handling, but at the sacrifice of ride quality. Since I am not taking my GS to the track, and I’m almost 50 years old, I am very happy with the unexpected improvement in ride quality.

In my opinion, I am convinced that the OEM Dunlop run-flat tires are the complete and direct cause of all these very annoying issues. I cannot understand why Lexus would decide to use tires like these when they cause so many undesirable consequences. Hoping this post will help anyone out there dealing with any of these issues.
Old 02-23-14, 07:54 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm glad you're happy! Also happy to hear it was a tire issue rather than anything else.

I'm not 50 years old, but I bought my GS for ride quality, and that's what I got and still expect out of my car....

I've been taking random rides from friends and other people (non-lexus vehicles) and to this day, will not be able to purchase another vehicle unless I find the genuine "Lexus" quality smoothness on the road that it follows lol.

I don't think it's the Dunlops per say, but it's rather the RUN-FLATS in general.... You eliminated your spare tire, so you have to expect this.

FWIW, your next investment should be in a new spare tire lol.... GL!
Old 02-23-14, 08:50 AM
storms71
Rookie

Yes I agree, XxGoKoUxX, run-flats in general are probably the problem. Likewise I am not advocating the Continental's, but rather Non-Run-Flats in general. Interestingly my GS (CPO) came with the Run-Flats AND a spare tire! So I am good-to-go.

I have to agree with you also on the ride quality, I hitch a ride with others in their non-Lexus cars occasionally and I am instantly shocked at the noise level and lack of ride quality. We are definitely spoiled with our cars!

That being said, I rode in my friends newly acquired '05 LS 460 and had the inverse reaction, WOW, such smooth silky power! Definitely the holy grail of ride quality! However i am just not ready for the full size car quite yet. Thanks for your comments!
Old 02-23-14, 09:01 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get an alignment when you got your new tires?

I know my car does that if my toe is set too close to 0. Not the "scraping" noise though. I'm not sure how a tire could have caused that?
Old 02-23-14, 09:48 AM
storms71
Rookie

Schmexus, yes I always get an alignment with the purchase of any new tires. That being said, I also had them re-align my GS when I bought it (CPO) because I could feel some of the tramlining. The re-alignment did not make much difference. But 20,000 miles later new non-run flat tires and an alignment completely eliminated it.

The scraping noise was definitely a strange occurrence. You could hear it inside or outside the car and never for one minute did I think it could be the tires. Until of course I got the new non-run-flat tires and it was completely gone! And it was only the front left that made the noise, the front right did not do it.