GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just how much fluid do I need to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 06:45 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just how much fluid do I need to buy?

Looking to bleed my brakes, flush my coolant (since im doing my waterpump also), and do a differential fluid change. I may also be interested in flushing out my transmission fluid unless some of you guys can steer me out of that for certain reasons that I may not be aware of? Any advice is helpful.

Also, wanted to thank member ibudu1 (I think thats his member name?) for his helpful post on one of the threads I read about water pump replacement. I got a great deal on an OEM water pump from ebay for about 100 bucks which included a new seal and free shipping!

Back to my reasoning for this thread..

How much fluid do I need to buy and where is the best place to buy the fluids?

Coolant- 2 Jugs?
Brake Fluid- 1 litre?
Differential- ???

I would also like to know which type of fluid I should buy for the Diff? I plan to buy Toyota/Lexus coolant, ATE superblue brake fluid, and as for the Differential fluid, I am not sure which route I should go?

I am having a little trouble finding Stailness steel braided lines for the front of my car also which is an AWD GS350..
Old 02-16-14, 07:08 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Two bottle of brake and two cans of the diff. Got mines from sewell
Old 02-16-14, 08:11 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Looking to bleed my brakes, flush my coolant (since im doing my waterpump also), and do a differential fluid change. I may also be interested in flushing out my transmission fluid unless some of you guys can steer me out of that for certain reasons that I may not be aware of? Any advice is helpful.

Also, wanted to thank member ibudu1 (I think thats his member name?) for his helpful post on one of the threads I read about water pump replacement. I got a great deal on an OEM water pump from ebay for about 100 bucks which included a new seal and free shipping!

Back to my reasoning for this thread..

How much fluid do I need to buy and where is the best place to buy the fluids?

Coolant- 2 Jugs?
Brake Fluid- 1 litre?
Differential- ???

I would also like to know which type of fluid I should buy for the Diff? I plan to buy Toyota/Lexus coolant, ATE superblue brake fluid, and as for the Differential fluid, I am not sure which route I should go?

I am having a little trouble finding Stailness steel braided lines for the front of my car also which is an AWD GS350..
I don't want to directly steer you the wrong way, but I would just pay the dealer to do it if it's available. Nothing wrong with changing your trans fluid, but I don't feel comfortable doing it without a proper machine. KuWuPt and other members on here have shown their way of doing it, and me being me, I'd definitely screw it up....

For Diff fluid, it doesn't matter as long as you keep your intervals in check.

You can go Toyota, I'd recommend Redline rear diff fluid or Amsoil rear diff fluid.

GL! I'll repost in here if I find the SS braided lines for your 350

EDIT: Found a set here: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/t...150726087.html

Not sure how good these lines are so you should do research before purchasing them.

You can also email Stoptech and see if the lines are universal and if you can get a set for your car.

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 02-16-14 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-16-14, 08:19 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I did a diy on both rear diff and water pump. Check it.
Old 02-17-14, 10:28 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies isam, gokou, and alchemist!

I checked out the link you provided gokou and did a quick search on them. They seem to be a reputable company, but fairly new. I am going to order a set tonight. Thanks again for your great contribution! I am headed down your way around mid march, maybe we can catch lunch like we discussed!

Also, what is it about these stories about people changing their trans fluid and resulting in some issues? Why exactly are some people not doing the change? Have those that had their trans fluid flushed ran into any issues at all? What trans fluid are you using in your vehicle Gokou? I dont suspect it would be any different on my car even though we have different engines? Can any 350 owners chime in for me please? I am looking to do this as soon as my parts arrive..

Looking at Kuwupts thread, he seemed to have had a huge service done! I would like to do all that he has done, but would you think its necessary? My car is nearing its old age, and I want to keep her performing tip top! Would any of you recommend doing certain bearings on the engine? If so, which ones should I do?

Just checked out your threads you provided also Alchemist! What a great contributor! Those threads will def. come in handy for me!
Old 02-17-14, 10:31 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

sorry for bearings, i meant pulleys lol

excuse my lack of thinking, it has been a long new year for me.
Old 02-17-14, 02:54 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I did my wifes 07 GS350 Tranny fluid at 80k, about 9k ago and car runs same as it did before change. No noticeable change. Fluid was dark but still slippery as eel snot. I'm sure it still had most of its viscosity. I will do it again at next 80k since I have a rotation going now. It is not difficult and not sure why so many are scared of it. You will need a helper to do it.
Old 02-17-14, 09:28 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Thanks for the replies isam, gokou, and alchemist!

I checked out the link you provided gokou and did a quick search on them. They seem to be a reputable company, but fairly new. I am going to order a set tonight. Thanks again for your great contribution! I am headed down your way around mid march, maybe we can catch lunch like we discussed!

Also, what is it about these stories about people changing their trans fluid and resulting in some issues? Why exactly are some people not doing the change? Have those that had their trans fluid flushed ran into any issues at all? What trans fluid are you using in your vehicle Gokou? I dont suspect it would be any different on my car even though we have different engines? Can any 350 owners chime in for me please? I am looking to do this as soon as my parts arrive..

Looking at Kuwupts thread, he seemed to have had a huge service done! I would like to do all that he has done, but would you think its necessary? My car is nearing its old age, and I want to keep her performing tip top! Would any of you recommend doing certain bearings on the engine? If so, which ones should I do?

Just checked out your threads you provided also Alchemist! What a great contributor! Those threads will def. come in handy for me!
Awesome, glad I could help! Definitely grab lunch one of these days if you're in the area .

Certain people I've talked to or read their threads (I talk to a few people in PM about trans issues, even though I've fortunately never ran into one yet) and found that they've either overfilled or underfilled. I use OEM fluids because Lexus refused to do my redline trans fluid for me... Toyota agreed but agreed at my own risk.... So I didn't go for it. (I got a full package, w/ water pump, timing belt, trans fluid, rear diff fluid, etc. etc. etc. for $900, so I can't complain). I've been told WTS on these cars are all the same (the 6-sp series anyways). So you should be in the good and same as me .

Originally Posted by burny
I did my wifes 07 GS350 Tranny fluid at 80k, about 9k ago and car runs same as it did before change. No noticeable change. Fluid was dark but still slippery as eel snot. I'm sure it still had most of its viscosity. I will do it again at next 80k since I have a rotation going now. It is not difficult and not sure why so many are scared of it. You will need a helper to do it.
Easy for you to say! Everytime I get a CEL, I get a heart attack! Even the oil light bothers me! LOL...
Old 02-18-14, 04:07 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Awesome, glad I could help! Definitely grab lunch one of these days if you're in the area .

Certain people I've talked to or read their threads (I talk to a few people in PM about trans issues, even though I've fortunately never ran into one yet) and found that they've either overfilled or underfilled. I use OEM fluids because Lexus refused to do my redline trans fluid for me... Toyota agreed but agreed at my own risk.... So I didn't go for it. (I got a full package, w/ water pump, timing belt, trans fluid, rear diff fluid, etc. etc. etc. for $900, so I can't complain). I've been told WTS on these cars are all the same (the 6-sp series anyways). So you should be in the good and same as me .

Easy for you to say! Everytime I get a CEL, I get a heart attack! Even the oil light bothers me! LOL...

lol @ check engine lights. I hate those too