GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Full speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 03:46 PM
paulfrom94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full speaker replacement

I have a 2007 Lexus GS 350 with the Mark Levinson audio system.
I am starting to hear a sound from the passenger side door speaker like a rattling when there is low bass in a song.
I wanted to know much it should cost me to have all the speakers replaced to higher quality ones.
I don't need crazy bass that will make my windows shatter, however currently these speakers feel like if I put any hip hop or dubstep on more speakers will blow.
NOTE: I do NOT want to have to cut any part of my car to install new speakers, I am not comfortable with someone cutting holes or making bigger holes to fix the new speakers.
Thanks!
Old 02-09-14, 05:01 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Your foam might have gone out of place, I'd stop playing music, remove it, inspect for damage, and if it is salvageable you can order a new foam installation kit for 6.5in ML speakers.

I say stop playing music because that rattling noise COULD mean (not always true because you don't know if it is something in the door other than your speakers rattling) your coil may have shifted everytime you play music because it is out of alignment (since the foam may have come apart) or your speaker is just on its way out. This will cause a short to your amplifier and in the long run you'll be very dissatisfied.

If you still want to proceed to install new speakers outside of the ML speakers, you need to buy the 6.5in speaker adaptors for the Lexus GS350 and you'll need speakers that are compatible in ohm loads to your ML system (you'll need to look this particular section up).

If you look in your trunk, passenger side RIGHT where the light would be, pull that up and your amp should be there, unbolt the amplifier and on the bottom part of it is a sticker that tells you how many ohms EACH speaker is.

GL!
Old 02-09-14, 05:26 PM
paulfrom94
Driver School Candidate

Oh god this sounds complicated. Was just wondering if anyone has had a full speaker replacement done before with higher quality speakers. I'd definitely have to go to a pro for this.
Old 02-09-14, 06:41 PM
XxGoKoUxX

heh, you don't necessarily need to go to a professional really.... I'm in no ways a professional, nor am I deep in the audio industry, but I managed to do everything as a DIY.

Either way, GL!
Old 02-09-14, 07:50 PM
Roe
Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
heh, you don't necessarily need to go to a professional really.... I'm in no ways a professional, nor am I deep in the audio industry, but I managed to do everything as a DIY.

Either way, GL!
Is it the same for non ML systems? OHMs, speaker size, etc?
Old 02-09-14, 09:25 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Yes..... I'll explain why:

In your car you have a factory amplifier (yes, just like the aftermarket ones you see from alpine, jbl, jl audio, sundown audio, etc. etc.). MOST amplifiers have a nominal and a MINIMUM ohm load.

I'll use an example amplifier here:

Specs go accordingly:
Kicker ZX750.1:
◦2 Ohms: 750 Watts x 1 Channel
◦4 Ohms: 375 Watts x 1 Channel

Our car's factory amplifier is the same, If it comes with 4-ohm speakers, you want to use a MINIMUM of 4 ohms, because it'll load the factory amount of power.... It is not able to handle anything lower than that. Same thing if it is made for 8-ohms..... This is just impedence and power ratings pretty much. If you go TOO LOW of an ohm load, it will heat up and probably burn up your amp if there is no safety on it.

Hope this explains a good bit on Ohms.

Speaker size and the speaker adaptor? There's really nothing special there, you just replace the speaker with what your car's factory size came with. You can go smaller, like instead of 6.5 you can do 5.25, but I'm sure people would rather have 6.5in speakers than a smaller one in it's place.

GL and happy hunting! LMK if you need anything else.

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 02-11-14 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Abo0ud (01-15-23)
Old 02-10-14, 02:59 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Impedance, not resistance otherwise A-Ok!
Old 02-11-14, 11:39 AM
korlexus
Driver

Are you sure it's not the cd? :P
Old 02-11-14, 11:59 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Thanks Stoodo! That's the word I was looking for.... I sat there for a good few minutes trying to figure out what the word was..... lol!
Old 01-15-23, 11:34 AM
Abo0ud
7th Gear

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Yes..... I'll explain why:

In your car you have a factory amplifier (yes, just like the aftermarket ones you see from alpine, jbl, jl audio, sundown audio, etc. etc.). MOST amplifiers have a nominal and a MINIMUM ohm load.

I'll use an example amplifier here:

Specs go accordingly:
Kicker ZX750.1:
◦2 Ohms: 750 Watts x 1 Channel
◦4 Ohms: 375 Watts x 1 Channel

Our car's factory amplifier is the same, If it comes with 4-ohm speakers, you want to use a MINIMUM of 4 ohms, because it'll load the factory amount of power.... It is not able to handle anything lower than that. Same thing if it is made for 8-ohms..... This is just impedence and power ratings pretty much. If you go TOO LOW of an ohm load, it will heat up and probably burn up your amp if there is no safety on it.

Hope this explains a good bit on Ohms.

Speaker size and the speaker adaptor? There's really nothing special there, you just replace the speaker with what your car's factory size came with. You can go smaller, like instead of 6.5 you can do 5.25, but I'm sure people would rather have 6.5in speakers than a smaller one in it's place.

GL and happy hunting! LMK if you need anything else.

you mean we have only to look for exact ohm as the factory if want to upgrade the speakers