GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Weird clicking sound front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 09:30 AM
ksan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird clicking sound front end

Hey CL! Question about my 07 3GS 350 awd.

Before I can get some free time, I would like to ask for some advice before I get some time to put this on a lift or in a garage to look..

While I'm driving my car ( at a rolling speed 5mph-20mph) I get a clicking sound from front driver side when I hit a small bump, stop, and stop and go at a traffic light. Mainly clicking noise when I hit bumps, but when traveling at highway speeds and I hit a bump I do not hear the clicking noise. ITS VERY ANNOYING, and I have never heard this noise after the brutal snow we just got here in MA. Also I should add, I am currently on BC Racing BR type coil overs which I bought brand new and installed in October. Its not clunking like ball joints, or banging like a blown strut mount.

My question;

Any Suggestions where to start?

What should I be looking at?

Something needs lubrication?
Old 01-08-14, 12:28 PM
SVance23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatsup!!! I just had this problem a few weeks ago. Took it into the dealership and they fixed it for me for free. Said the exhaust bracket had rusted and thats what was making that clicking sound. So they replaced that and no more sound. So hopefully thats what the problem is. Hope that helps. Let me know what you find.
Old 01-08-14, 03:37 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

I am having a similar dilemma as of 3 days ago. I sprayed underneath the car to see if it was just dirt, or something frozen and the problem went away that night. The next day, it came back after a short drive. I assume it is worn bushings or something, but I am no expert lol. There is no weird play in the steering wheel that is out of the ordinary either, so i kind of ruled out tie rods, or control arms, however like I said, I am no expert..

Please let me know what you come up with! It sounds almost exactly like the problem I am having and I am from MA also.

This almost sounds like a "Creaking" noise, but not quite enough squeakiness to determine it as a creak if that makes any sense..
Old 01-08-14, 05:42 PM
ksan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skylar978
I am having a similar dilemma as of 3 days ago. I sprayed underneath the car to see if it was just dirt, or something frozen and the problem went away that night. The next day, it came back after a short drive. I assume it is worn bushings or something, but I am no expert lol. There is no weird play in the steering wheel that is out of the ordinary either, so i kind of ruled out tie rods, or control arms, however like I said, I am no expert..

Please let me know what you come up with! It sounds almost exactly like the problem I am having and I am from MA also.

This almost sounds like a "Creaking" noise, but not quite enough squeakiness to determine it as a creak if that makes any sense..
Yes,creaking also! It annoys the $!'@$?! Out of me. My coil overs are new like I said earlier, and just all of a sudden it want to creak and click. Nothing weird with the steering and drives and rides beautiful. It just the noise! I'm going to get a hold of my friend that use to be a master tech at Lexus and see what he comes up with. I would do it by myself but it to damn cold out to be on my back trying to figure this crap out
Old 01-08-14, 05:43 PM
ksan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SVance23
Whatsup!!! I just had this problem a few weeks ago. Took it into the dealership and they fixed it for me for free. Said the exhaust bracket had rusted and thats what was making that clicking sound. So they replaced that and no more sound. So hopefully thats what the problem is. Hope that helps. Let me know what you find.
Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna take a look into this also. Sadly my car is not under warranty, and was yours when they fixed that issue for free?
Old 01-08-14, 05:49 PM
ksan
Intermediate

Hey I found this on the forum. Hopefully this our same issue. I guess cold weather can be the culprit also!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...uspension.html
Old 01-11-14, 04:22 PM
SVance23
Rookie

Originally Posted by ksan
Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna take a look into this also. Sadly my car is not under warranty, and was yours when they fixed that issue for free?
Nope mine is out of warranty. I had just had it in there for the recall work and i said it sounded like they didnt screw something down. So they looked and found that and just fixed it for free. They were looking for the sound for 2 days. But they gave me a loaner and everything. Did you find the problem yet?
Old 01-24-14, 12:42 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

I get a clicking or poping sound when I back up, every single time...starting to worry me.
Old 01-24-14, 08:21 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Being an AWD I'll guess it's a cv shaft issue.
Old 01-25-14, 08:37 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SVance23
Yeah look under the car... I had a pinging squeaking sound that was driving me nuts... I looked under the car and the ring clamps that hold the heat shields onto the exhaust rust completely through and will rattle against the exhaust and shields. You can get a new stainless ring clamp for a dollar at the hardware store...

Well now I'll never had that problem again because I had to replace those whole sections of exhaust because those damn heat shields caused them to rust out to crap so.... no more heat shields, no more clamps, no more worries.

You just have to come to terms with the noises these cars make... I know it's hard, I still struggle with it... but the older the car gets somehow I become more and more forgiving.