GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Red battery light issue again

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 08:34 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Red battery light issue again

I have similar problems to a member on here who posted a similar thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ery-light.html

Since I have also posted in his thread and mentioned that the "problem" went away, it came back tonight. However, tonight was a little different in that i started to play around with the accessories in the car (Radio, heat, headlights, etc) and noticed that the Red battery light would go off and on according to how many accessories I have on, or off. They dont seem to be triggered by any specific accessory inside the car, but rather if they are on, or off. I played around with the accessories after the red battery light came on. Then after I let the car warm up to temp, the nav screen completely shut itself down and I noticed some strange sounds from the car that sounded like "Electrical shortages". I shut the car off after it warmed up (with the red battery light still on), and tried to start the car, and it wouldnt start. I could turn the headlights off and on, turn on the radio and everything else, but it seemed like it was missing some juice. I also noticed that my steering wheel did not retract to its "prone" position when I shut the car off.

Fast forward to 2 hours later after I ate dinner, I went down to start the car again and it fired right up At this point I was at a loss for words.. So, i let the car warm up to temp again and just as it was about to reach the halfway mark on the temp gauge (Probably has nothing to do with this red battery light issue), the red battery light comes on again. Then I proceed to turn off accessories and the red battery light turns off again. So, I shut everything off (Headlights, nav screen, radio, etc) and leeave the motor running and about 10mins later, the red battery light comes on again. SO, i assume my alternator is almost dead? I am no mechanic, but I am somewhat mechanic savvy.

Please, can someone tell me what this may sound like, or what I can check? I am

Thanks in advance,
Sky
Old 12-30-13, 02:21 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

When you start up the car after it has complete died. Did you notice it had a hard time starting up?

Batteries do not charge themselves back up after they're dead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370960709648?lpid=82
OR

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-98025.html

You folks need to have these on hand..... They're the handiest tools for our members to use on electrical systems. You actually shouldn't do anything electrical wise without one . They also cost under ~$10 each (unless you want to go fancy schmancy).

On another note. If it does feel weak to startup after ur car won't start anymore. It definitely sounds like your alt is beginning to take a dump on you.

As an FYI, alternators are their strongest at STARTUP. This is because they haven't warmed up yet, it's like your own body.... At the beginning of a workout, you're pretty beastly. But as time progresses during your workout session (like the car) your body gets warmed up and weaker and weaker as it is being worked out. This sounds like the exact same symptom as your car's alternator, except when it gets weak it collapses lol.
Old 12-30-13, 07:40 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
When you start up the car after it has complete died. Did you notice it had a hard time starting up?

Batteries do not charge themselves back up after they're dead.

Popular Car LCD Lighter 8 30V 12V 24V Voltage Digital Panel Voltmeter Monitor | eBay

OR

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-98025.html

You folks need to have these on hand..... They're the handiest tools for our members to use on electrical systems. You actually shouldn't do anything electrical wise without one . They also cost under ~$10 each (unless you want to go fancy schmancy).

On another note. If it does feel weak to startup after ur car won't start anymore. It definitely sounds like your alt is beginning to take a dump on you.

As an FYI, alternators are their strongest at STARTUP. This is because they haven't warmed up yet, it's like your own body.... At the beginning of a workout, you're pretty beastly. But as time progresses during your workout session (like the car) your body gets warmed up and weaker and weaker as it is being worked out. This sounds like the exact same symptom as your car's alternator, except when it gets weak it collapses lol.

Hm, interesting info. I will definitely have to pick that multimeter up at my local harbor freight. I was actually looking at some tools yday on their website, but it did not cross my mind at all to buy a multimeter. It could have saved me some time today. As we know, time is definitely money. Thank you for your input. I have learned a little more info as well!

It turns out, it is my alternator. It was just a little awkward to pin point if it was the alternator or not, since my car had alternator failure symptoms about a month ago and ran completely 100 percent issue free after the little problem the next day. I hope that this resolves any issues that I had similar to this event after I get this alternator installed tomorrow. I may just install a new battery also for piece of mind, although I think it may be fine.

On another note, I ordered a "Duralast" alternator from my local autozone. Which seemed to be the only place that wanted to cooperate with me. I dont know if it is due to the holiday season, or what, but people sure are rude and unhelpful lately from my own personal experience. Does anyone have any input on using this particular brand alternator? Should I replace it with something else? I figure since it had a lifetime warranty, and was at a good price, It may not be a bad idea to try it. However, I have also experienced bad luck with "cheaper" parts. They may have a lifetime warranty, but I seem to have needed to replace them more often than I would like in previous cars ive owned. I figure as long as it is putting out at least 150 amps, i should be fine

Thank you for your response Gokou!

-Sky
Old 12-30-13, 07:43 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Forgot to ask..

What tools would I need to do this install myself? I am pretty sure it is fairly easy judging by investigating under the hood earlier where the alternator is located..

would I be able to perform this work with tools found in the trunk? I did not really look at the bolts, or too detailed, but it seems as if it would not require anything too out of the ordinary?..It was cold outside as well.
The following users liked this post:
5thwardgs4 (04-15-19)
Old 12-30-13, 10:02 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Forgot to ask..

What tools would I need to do this install myself? I am pretty sure it is fairly easy judging by investigating under the hood earlier where the alternator is located..

would I be able to perform this work with tools found in the trunk? I did not really look at the bolts, or too detailed, but it seems as if it would not require anything too out of the ordinary?..It was cold outside as well.
I looked it up on techinfo.toyota.com and for the most part it's straight forward. If you have never replaced an alternator or water pump before then this may not be a DIY without a manual. You will need a socket set with an extender and some patience because the bottom engine cover has to come out which is 10 screws. It also says the compressor has to be removed but I would be surprised if you truly have to remove that to replace the alternator.

techinfo.toyota.com will give you all the information you need, its not free but $15 for two days of access isn't expensive either. You could also get a manual from a library they normally have Chilton repair books for just about every car.

This is an easy job and I'm sure you can figure it out, however like you said earlier time is money. So if you don't already have the proper tools and don't have a garage I'm not sure I would do this in the winter. If you think its cold now just think how cold it will be laying on your back removing the 10 bolts required to drop the bottom engine cover. If you had done this before I'm sure it could be completed in under an hour however it will probably take you around two hours to complete since its the first time.
Old 01-02-14, 03:59 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YaMomma
I looked it up on techinfo.toyota.com and for the most part it's straight forward. If you have never replaced an alternator or water pump before then this may not be a DIY without a manual. You will need a socket set with an extender and some patience because the bottom engine cover has to come out which is 10 screws. It also says the compressor has to be removed but I would be surprised if you truly have to remove that to replace the alternator.

techinfo.toyota.com will give you all the information you need, its not free but $15 for two days of access isn't expensive either. You could also get a manual from a library they normally have Chilton repair books for just about every car.

This is an easy job and I'm sure you can figure it out, however like you said earlier time is money. So if you don't already have the proper tools and don't have a garage I'm not sure I would do this in the winter. If you think its cold now just think how cold it will be laying on your back removing the 10 bolts required to drop the bottom engine cover. If you had done this before I'm sure it could be completed in under an hour however it will probably take you around two hours to complete since its the first time.
Thanks for your input on my thread. I have replaced the alternator successfully with a duralast one from AutoZone. So far, so good. I will keep you guys updated if anything shall go wrong again. It seems as if there is a shortage of information in the lexus community. I will report any issues I have here on out on Club Lexus.

BTW, I ended up just paying a local shop I know to do the work. It is way too cold, and right now there is a snow storm brewing in Massachusetts. I also replaced the two rear rotors and pads with some aftermarket ones from Advanced Auto. They are doing okay so far..I enjoy looking at a shiny new rotor through the wheel. Not sure how long itll be shiny though

One issue to report that is still consistent, is that there is still a slight burning smell coming from the vents. Is there any possibility that the valve cover is leaking oil onto my alternator? I read somewhere on another thread on Club Lexus, that a fellow GS owner took his car in to get the latest recall done and they did not end up replacing the valve cover gasket with the new set, but instead used the old one. Judging from the smell, i may have to investigate even further to see if the valve cover gasket is indeed leaking. If it is, I hope that the dealership I went to will be more than kind to inspect it and repair it properly.

Thank you to everyone that had helped me, and Happy New Years!
Old 01-02-14, 07:28 PM
MX5
Pole Position

What did the alt and the labor cost? The shop was fine with you supplying the part?
Old 01-03-14, 01:12 PM
roland89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So u still get the wired noise after u change UR alt
Old 01-06-14, 07:23 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MX5
What did the alt and the labor cost? The shop was fine with you supplying the part?
Hi,

SOrry for the late response. I am a little busy transitioning into the new year..

The alternator was $260 and some change (I forget the exact numbers), and there is a 80 core charge if you intend to trade in your old alternator which I did not do because I may be doing some investigating. The labor was 60 bucks and my shop was fine with me bringing in any part I wanted.
Old 01-06-14, 07:30 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roland89
So u still get the wired noise after u change UR alt
I never actually had any weird noises

Did I type that somewhere on this thread? Sorry if I did, but It was a mistake. My alternator never made any noise before it took a dump..
Old 01-07-14, 10:19 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Sorry for MY late reply.... Just got home back from an awesome 1-week getaway with the wife.

I don't usually recommend alternators and brake pads+rotors from autopart stores. More rather, I would have recommended you either get yours rebuilt from denso, or buy the OEM alternators. This along with OEM pads+rotors, as you never really know.

That's just my opinion though, others might have had better experiences on their high end cars!

The reason why I recommend the Denso alts is because every builder I call/inquire to, they all tell me these Denso alts are pretty bulletproof. This coming from people who wouldn't mind building me an alt to make a few bucks, that should tell you something .

Either way, GL OP! Keep that receipt for your alternator in your glovebox, you seriously never know!
Old 01-20-14, 02:58 PM
Wildcat73
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same issues with my GS300 (2006) 87500 miles plus, and the running lights went out also. I will have an alternator installed tomorrow and hopefully this will resolve the issue.
Old 01-21-14, 09:00 AM
roland89
Driver School Candidate

I'm getting a 300 amp alt for $500 cause I have a system
Old 01-21-14, 09:37 AM
XxGoKoUxX

from who roland?
Old 01-28-14, 10:45 AM
roland89
Driver School Candidate

American alt I think it is my guy order it for me it will be here in another 3 weeks

Quick Reply: Red battery light issue again